Question New build :D

Oct 11, 2023
HTTPS://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/93DfYN
Am trying to build a higher end hobby machine.
The computer will not be overclocked ever.
Wanted a 40 series card with a cpu that won’t bottleneck.
Height: 354 - 543mm (14.0 - 21.5")
Width: 170 - 300mm (6.7 - 11.8")
Weight: Up to 25kg (55lb)
I am not too sure on the gpu and cpu combo but am mostly afraid of the motherboard / case problem aswell as the ram slots and what I have chosen
I wanted a motherboard with 2 m.2 slots managed to find one with four and was happy with that. But is there any known problems or is it solid?
I checked the case and it should fit the space but I’m not too sure as am dumbo.
Cant find weight of pc but iv been told “good luck getting a pc to 25kg”
I know you can’t use different read/write rams slots so iv chosen 128gb worth of the same ram card is what I have chosen okay?
Is the cpu good for a 40 series iv just rechecked and think I should change it for something greater closer the gpu.
Is the gpu a good 40 series card or is there another mid-high price point gpu I should look at?

What is the main use for this pc?

Two separate ram kits does not constitute a matched pair.
Look at the motherboard ram QVL list and select a ram kit that matches your needs.
Do you really need 128gb of ram?
If I recall, there may be issues with 4 stick ddr5 ram kits.

There is no performance advantage to separate ssd devices.
It will cost less to use two 4gb m.2 devices.

Your case is a very good one for air cooling.
The 7700x is not a terribly hot chip, particularly if you are not overclocking.

Oct 11, 2023
What is the main use for this pc?

Anything that’s not work, no rendering high load things just something to mess around on, play games yata yata
I do have a goal of loading/ being able to have two semi large applications running at once (I’ll get back to this later) while still high performance and relative silence from the machine

Two separate ram kits does not constitute a matched pair.
Look at the motherboard ram QVL list and select a ram kit that matches your needs.
Do you really need 128gb of ram?
If I recall, there may be issues with 4 stick ddr5 ram kits.

I’m looking for performance and being quiet over all really I saw 4 ram slots and filled them XD. I’m aware of dual channel but am also aware of not using one that’s slower then the other so I’d assume that 4 of the same would be close to 3/4 better then 2 sticks of ram. Thank-you for your advice and I’ll look into ram QVL on the motherboard, and no I probably don’t need 128gb but it’s more of a well I have it sorta thing and I’d assume, it would blitz what I want with what I said before about being able to run two sizeable programs at once.
There is no performance advantage to separate ssd devices.
It will cost less to use two 4gb m.2 devices.

Beautiful advice however I was told that 4gb can be or is known to get corrupted files easily/often which from my experience I am prone to. Hence why they are 2gb and not 4gb.
Any other advice on this.
would u recommend me getting 4 sticks of 4gb because it will work near problem free?

that goes for ssds and I think sata drives too? Are 4gb good to use?

Your case is a very good one for air cooling.
Yeah I would love to have an open panel/benchtop but I own a cat. I’m not too worried about air cooling however I wanted a nice front panel, I dono I kinda wish things were more modular

The 7700x is not a terribly hot chip, particularly if you are not overclocking.

I was taking the ghz and numbers as a base so I picked one I kinda liked the numbers of. Is it a good pick? When I say that will it last me/will it prevent me from being stress free

Sorry iPhone is hard to format things

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: *AMD Ryzen 7 7700X 4.5 GHz 8-Core Processor ($440.20 @ Amazon Australia)
CPU Cooler: *Deepcool AK620 68.99 CFM CPU Cooler ($79.00 @ JW Computers)
Motherboard: *MSI X670E GAMING PLUS WIFI ATX AM5 Motherboard ($399.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Memory: *G.Skill Flare X5 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory ($320.51 @ Amazon Australia)
Storage: *Crucial P3 Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($159.00 @ Centre Com)
Storage: *Crucial MX500 4 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($425.00 @ Computer Alliance)
Storage: *Crucial P3 Plus 4 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($329.00 @ Centre Com)
Video Card: *Asus DUAL EVO OC GeForce RTX 4070 SUPER 12 GB Video Card ($948.77 @ JW Computers)
Case: *Fractal Design North XL ATX Full Tower Case ($285.00 @ Centre Com)
Power Supply: *MSI MAG A850GL PCIE5 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($149.00 @ Centre Com)
Case Fan: *ARCTIC P14 PST 72.8 CFM 140 mm Fan ($15.00 @ Scorptec)
Total: $3549.48
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-09-27 15:05 AEST+1000

Oct 11, 2023
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: *AMD Ryzen 7 7700X 4.5 GHz 8-Core Processor ($440.20 @ Amazon Australia)
CPU Cooler: *Deepcool AK620 68.99 CFM CPU Cooler ($79.00 @ JW Computers)
Motherboard: *MSI X670E GAMING PLUS WIFI ATX AM5 Motherboard ($399.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Memory: *G.Skill Flare X5 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory ($320.51 @ Amazon Australia)
Storage: *Crucial P3 Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($159.00 @ Centre Com)
Storage: *Crucial MX500 4 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($425.00 @ Computer Alliance)
Storage: *Crucial P3 Plus 4 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($329.00 @ Centre Com)
Video Card: *Asus DUAL EVO OC GeForce RTX 4070 SUPER 12 GB Video Card ($948.77 @ JW Computers)
Case: *Fractal Design North XL ATX Full Tower Case ($285.00 @ Centre Com)
Power Supply: *MSI MAG A850GL PCIE5 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($149.00 @ Centre Com)
Case Fan: *ARCTIC P14 PST 72.8 CFM 140 mm Fan ($15.00 @ Scorptec)
Total: $3549.48
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-09-27 15:05 AEST+1000
Just a few questions about it, the cpu cooler is a fan, I’m really not comfortable with cpu fans as I have never really used one befor. Can I just swap it to a aio. would this be a problem/make it worse. I like the motherboard with 5 m.2s
Is there a reason for 1 2tb and 1 4tb? I assume one is for operating system and other is for yata,
Would it not be better to swap the 2tb for a smaller drive just for the operating system or would it just be better to go all 4tb and just fill everything else besides the operating system ssd.

I assume there is a sata/hd rack for my free use so thank-you for your input your advice is much appreciated

You should put the OS and installed programs on 1 drive.

It's up to you to know how much space that would require as of today......and how much more space might be used in the future.

For my PC...it would take less than 500 GB. You might need less than that or 10 times as much. We don't know. You are the foremost authority.

I don't quite understand your issue with fans. Your proposed liquid cooler has 3 of them. Your proposed case includes 2 fans and has mounts for 6 more.

Liquid coolers have more points of failure than air coolers. If you are fine with that, OK. Your CPU is not a high heat generator and wouldn't need a liquid cooler.

Maybe you like liquid cooling for the same reason you "like the motherboard with 5 m.2s." Some folks want a liquid cooler for reasons other than cooling.

Your original proposal budgeted 1883 AUD for CPU/motherboard/RAM, with only 23% of that to the CPU. That strikes me as unbalanced, but maybe you have a strong over-riding use case..........or maybe budget isn't really much of a concern.

Reactions: Why_Me
Oct 11, 2023
You should put the OS and installed programs on 1 drive.

It's up to you to know how much space that would require as of today......and how much more space might be used in the future.

For my PC...it would take less than 500 GB. You might need less than that or 10 times as much. We don't know. You are the foremost authority.

I don't quite understand your issue with fans. Your proposed liquid cooler has 3 of them. Your proposed case includes 2 fans and has mounts for 6 more.

Liquid coolers have more points of failure than air coolers. If you are fine with that, OK. Your CPU is not a high heat generator and wouldn't need a liquid cooler.

Maybe you like liquid cooling for the same reason you "like the motherboard with 5 m.2s." Some folks want a liquid cooler for reasons other than cooling.

Your original proposal budgeted 1883 AUD for CPU/motherboard/RAM, with only 23% of that to the CPU. That strikes me as unbalanced, but maybe you have a strong over-riding use case..........or maybe budget isn't really much of a concern.
Thankyou for the input
Budget is between 5-7k aud
Above 5 below 7
No I just have never used a cpu fan system so I don’t know how it will effect the computer itself and am skeptical as iv always seen higher end builds with a aio, I’m not to familiar with now day component's

The computer will hopefully be getting 8tb of storage from my old rig and would preferably get more as I’m giving it to a friend once I have this build live.

Am going to take ssds which I don’t think I’ll be able too as it looks to be only sata and m.2 connectors.

I really don’t know how to respond to what you said other than that. I want it to be a storage and performance mammoth with the idea of never having to take it apart once it is built other then to clean it
I only picked the cpu as I had no idea what’s good now days, I know 50 series are becoming a thing or is it 60 etheir way it doesn’t matter.
I don’t know the difference between ryzen/intell cpus so I was hoping for some advice on the build I threw it together in like an hour

Some things to note
32gb of ram is too small
128 is probably too much but probably preferred
A motherboard with more then 1 m.2 is nice
A mother board with more than 2 would be fantastic.
After your explanation a normal case fan would be enough
The cpu isn’t what I want
A strong over riding use of my case?
Just because I have the budget doesn’t mean I will gouge myself for what I want I found this out with the ram I Actually need for the build is around 3k using the current motherboard, however old mate gave me a motherboard I would rather have with a cheaper cost of ram to fill all 4 slots

"Performance mammoth".

"I only picked the cpu as I had no idea what’s good now days"

Hmmm.......

There are several AMD and several Intel CPUs that outperform the 7700X. It's not "weak" by any means, but not near the top.

Not near the top for both gaming or non-gaming.

CPU is still the most important piece.

Not sure...I think you might be able to buy 96 GB of DDR 5 in a kit of 2 sticks; 48 GB per stick. Might satisfy you? I'd try to avoid filling all 4 RAM slots. I don't know if you can find a kit of 2 sticks of 64 GB per stick. Maybe not?

7700X sells for about 250 in US dollars.

5 to 7k AUD is circa 3440 to 4816 US.

How soon must you buy? New Intels will hit the market next month. Not sure about new AMDs.

Re storage: not sure what you mean by "Am going to take ssds which I don’t think I’ll be able too as it looks to be only sata and m.2 connectors."

Can you re-write that?

"A strong over riding use of my case?"............I meant only that you may have strong specific reasons to buy a particular set of parts to perform particular tasks.

The reasons could be very good or very poor. But it is certainly worth spending money to avoid buyer's remorse if necessary. Why be unhappy and second-guess yourself after you poke the "buy now" button, even if you wasted some money? I don't know how much you are willing to spend to avoid regret.

I'd slow down a bit if possible and don't rush into anything.

Oct 11, 2023
"Performance mammoth".

"I only picked the cpu as I had no idea what’s good now days"

Hmmm.......

There are several AMD and several Intel CPUs that outperform the 7700X. It's not "weak" by any means, but not near the top.

Not near the top for both gaming or non-gaming.

CPU is still the most important piece.

Not sure...I think you might be able to buy 96 GB of DDR 5 in a kit of 2 sticks; 48 GB per stick. Might satisfy you? I'd try to avoid filling all 4 RAM slots. I don't know if you can find a kit of 2 sticks of 64 GB per stick. Maybe not?

7700X sells for about 250 in US dollars.

5 to 7k AUD is circa 3440 to 4816 US.

How soon must you buy? New Intels will hit the market next month. Not sure about new AMDs.

Re storage: not sure what you mean by "Am going to take ssds which I don’t think I’ll be able too as it looks to be only sata and m.2 connectors."

Can you re-write that?

"A strong over riding use of my case?"............I meant only that you may have strong specific reasons to buy a particular set of parts to perform particular tasks.

The reasons could be very good or very poor. But it is certainly worth spending money to avoid buyer's remorse if necessary. Why be unhappy and second-guess yourself after you poke the "buy now" button, even if you wasted some money? I don't know how much you are willing to spend to avoid regret.

I'd slow down a bit if possible and don't rush into anything.
Yeah, build for the moment is going to start in 3 months time.
I was going to take 8TB of ssds and put them into this machine but the new connectors are all sata connectors so I won’t bother and just wipe them for my friend

I wasn’t going to buy before running it past multiple people to begin with because I don’t know what I’m talking about
The last thing I want is for something to bottleneck hard like my current setup with an i7 11700k and 2080 rtx where the gpu eats it on the regular.

7700x? The cpu? Is it good I think I heard people saying it’s great price performance and then would it be better to get a 7900x for an extra 50$?
And pair it with a 40 series
I know parts are coming out but I don’t really want them ild rather what’s currently out because I would never need anything greater cpu and gpu wise I do not believe, then sinking the budget in 64 gbs of ram using your wisdom will do and as many 4tb storage’s and I can get my hands on?
My current setup is on 0.20c per hour of use, probably less. I know it’s overkill for what I need but that’s not the point I want something I can enjoy, I budgeted the price because it’s something I will enjoy and am willing to spend money on it as it’s my hobby.
After having the system for years I realised constantly adding storage isn’t something I want to have do, and it would be easier to build it with all the storage in from the get go.

Plan was to get an opinion and a build and then ask again in Few months

It sounds like you don't want to use any SATA SSDs at all. Is that correct? You want to use ONLY NVMe drives??

Only you would know how much storage you need............regardless of type of drive or capacity of any single drive. Maybe your storage needs grow at the rate of 1 TB per month. Or 1 GB per month? You have to figure that out yourself.

Maybe you have a bona fide need for 5 NVME ports or 20 TB storage. Or maybe those are wants not needs. You have to weigh all of that in your own scale which only you can calibrate.

You may benefit from 128 GB of RAM rather than 64 GB. I have no idea. You could easily never notice the difference, but still want 128 for whatever reason.

I wouldn't buy a 7700X if I wanted a "performance mammoth", but we may have different dictionaries. The 7700X is pretty good on the price/performance ratio, but not so high on a performance scale....considering your budget.

I could certainly understand a 7700X if your budget was a lot lower and you wanted to stay with 2022 technology.

"Worth it" is known only to you and I'm not clear on what might cause you to change your mind about anything. You'll get opinions all over the map that you have to personally evaluate. Ultimately.....avoiding buyer's remorse might be a good reason to buy certain parts. Problem is.....you can't know with much accuracy what your satisfaction level will be 6 months after you build it.

Oct 11, 2023
It sounds like you don't want to use any SATA SSDs at all. Is that correct? You want to use ONLY NVMe drives??

Only you would know how much storage you need............regardless of type of drive or capacity of any single drive. Maybe your storage needs grow at the rate of 1 TB per month. Or 1 GB per month? You have to figure that out yourself.

Maybe you have a bona fide need for 5 NVME ports or 20 TB storage. Or maybe those are wants not needs. You have to weigh all of that in your own scale which only you can calibrate.

You may benefit from 128 GB of RAM rather than 64 GB. I have no idea. You could easily never notice the difference, but still want 128 for whatever reason.

I wouldn't buy a 7700X if I wanted a "performance mammoth", but we may have different dictionaries. The 7700X is pretty good on the price/performance ratio, but not so high on a performance scale....considering your budget.

I could certainly understand a 7700X if your budget was a lot lower and you wanted to stay with 2022 technology.

"Worth it" is known only to you and I'm not clear on what might cause you to change your mind about anything. You'll get opinions all over the map that you have to personally evaluate. Ultimately.....avoiding buyer's remorse might be a good reason to buy certain parts. Problem is.....you can't know with much accuracy what your satisfaction level will be 6 months after you build it.
Honestly a good take,
I personally have never used sata as it didn’t use to exist only hard Disc drives, always worked.
Everyone starts with sata in todays date so I’m not against getting it, the power supply is what someone recommended with only sata cables so why not give it a go. Only question about storage is are 4tbs safe? I was told they corrupt easily both m.2 and ssd/sata
Sure get a motherboard with multiple slots and put parts in it later is what u essentially suggest

Like I said I don’t know what’s parts are “good”
If you would like to recomend a cpu and gpu of like 4K aud it would be appreciated.