Distinguished
Jul 31, 2003
All, I built a new system with the following components:

CPU: Intel Core i5-2300 2.8GHz 6MB S-1155
MB: INTEL DH67BLB3 mATX LGA1155
Ram: 2x4GB 1333MHz DDR3 Non-ECC CL9 KVR1333D3N9K2/8G
HD: 1TB WD Caviar Black 7200rpm 64MB SATA3
PSU: Tagan 700W

It did boot and I installed win7 64bit, but after a short while (few days) it had problems powering on. Removing the power cord shortly fixed the first problem but it got worse. Now it is at a point where it will not power on at all. It does not provide any POST beeps, no fans are spinning (CPU, PSU, Cabinet).

I have re-mounted the CPU HS (removed stock thermal compound and applied new) as one of the legs in the mount was not locked properly.

In order to pinpoint the problem I have removed all components except the CPU and HS (ram, HD, optical drive) and the various cabinet connectors (USB, HD sound, ...). Still no reaction. I have also removed all the front panel header wires except the power switch - still the same.

Also removed the battery for 1-2 minutes without any improvements.

I have tried another PSU - here the CPU fan rotates half a turn when I switch the main switch on at the back of the PSU - but when I press power on the cabinet nothing happens. The STDBY is lit indicating some power on the MB.

Any ideas....? Could the CPU be fried due to the bad mount of the cooler - how can I tell ? I am primarily suspecting the MB to be bad but how can I verify this.

any help will be greatly appreciated.

Yackyack

finn281175

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
I would suggest reassembling everything outside of the case and then trying to power up - it could be that a part of the case is shorting your motherboard. If the problem remains then I would say you probably have a faulty mobo.