Question New build has recently started to perform much worse than anticipated ?

Aug 8, 2022
Hello!

I recently built a gaming PC for the first time after using a prebuild for many years. I decided to go all out and get as much power in my system as I could and for the first week or so it was fabulous!
However, in the last few days it has been performing noticably worse, with superposition benchmark rating it at half my previous benchmarks and games like CS:GO running at sub 120fps.

Here is my userbenchmark for context: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/54453779 , vs a benchmark I did 3 days ago: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/54388462

I have had some issues with games crashing, and the occasional blue screen, but didn't have any issues with first time set-up or getting the machine to POST screen when building it originally.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm not sure what to do!

Update:

My system hardware is all band new for this build and specs are as follows:

MOBO: ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-f Gaming WIFI
CPU: i7 12700k
GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X
PSU: RM850x 80 PLUS GoldRM850x Gold
RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE DDR5 32GB 5600 c36
CPU cooler: Noctua NH-D15 with 1500gb of free space
Drive: WD_BLACK SN850 2tb NVMe SSD (

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition (original to build, new, refurbished, used)?

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity, how full?

= = = =

Start by using Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe system performance first while not gaming and then while gaming. Use both tools but only one tool at a time. You may be able to discover some specific app or background process dragging down performance.

Also look in Reliability History and Event Viewer. There may be a pattern of error codes, warnings, and even informational events that parallel the performance drops.

Reliability History is much more user friendly and the time line format can prove to be very revealing.

For example, you may note some error or other entry that began appearing or occurring "in the last few days".

Reactions: Doonsmoo