Question New Build Help

Dec 7, 2022
Hi all,

I've just build a new PC but I'm having lots of issues trying to get it work.

Components:

PSU: Seasonic Prime 750W Modular 80+ Gold PSU
CPU: Intel i7-13700K
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix B660-F Gaming WIFI Motherboard
RAM: VENGEANCE® RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR5 DRAM 6000MHz C36 Memory Kit — Black (Only using 1 stick at the minute as was having boot issues)
Storage: Samsung 980 PRO 1TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 x4 NVMe SSD
Graphics: Nvidia 1660 Super (Using integrated graphics for now)
AIO: MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360 AIO 360mm Liquid CPU Cooler

Initially I've been struggling to get the PC to post but I seemed to have sorted that by changing a few setting in the BIOS when I eventually got in.

My main issue now is that I cannot install Windows 11 from a USB device. Occasionally when I boot up it won't load the USB but when it does I can get as far as the "Windows Setup" screen to select my language etc. but at this point there's no USB input from my mouse/keyboard etc.

I've changed a few settings in the bios such as xhci hand off enabled/disabled, legacy usb support enabled/disabled, trying different ports on the front/back, using a different mouse/keyboard etc.

BIOS is also flashed to the latest version, graphics card is uninstalled as with having bootup issues I was removing as much as I could.

I'm hoping I just need to tweak a setting in the BIOS that I've missed but any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Hi all,

I've just build a new PC but I'm having lots of issues trying to get it work.

Components:

PSU: Seasonic Prime 750W Modular 80+ Gold PSU
CPU: Intel i7-13700K
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix B660-F Gaming WIFI Motherboard
RAM: VENGEANCE® RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR5 DRAM 6000MHz C36 Memory Kit — Black (Only using 1 stick at the minute as was having boot issues)
Storage: Samsung 980 PRO 1TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 x4 NVMe SSD
Graphics: Nvidia 1660 Super (Using integrated graphics for now)
AIO: MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360 AIO 360mm Liquid CPU Cooler

Initially I've been struggling to get the PC to post but I seemed to have sorted that by changing a few setting in the BIOS when I eventually got in.

My main issue now is that I cannot install Windows 11 from a USB device. Occasionally when I boot up it won't load the USB but when it does I can get as far as the "Windows Setup" screen to select my language etc. but at this point there's no USB input from my mouse/keyboard etc.

I've changed a few settings in the bios such as xhci hand off enabled/disabled, legacy usb support enabled/disabled, trying different ports on the front/back, using a different mouse/keyboard etc.

BIOS is also flashed to the latest version, graphics card is uninstalled as with having bootup issues I was removing as much as I could.

I'm hoping I just need to tweak a setting in the BIOS that I've missed but any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
If secure tpm was enabled before even fully installing windows 11 this maybe the issue it locks the drive in a since. You may need to reset the tpm security protocols

Dec 7, 2022
Hi

I’ve just cleared the secure boot keys (only option I could find). Although it’s back to freezing on the spinning wheel when try to load the usb pen for some reason, no idea what’s causing that.

Hi

I’ve just cleared the secure boot keys (only option I could find). Although it’s back to freezing on the spinning wheel when try to load the usb pen for some reason, no idea what’s causing that.
What are CPU temps in BIOS like? Change the RAM speed options to default (not on XMP). Are you on the latest BIOS version from ASUS? you need one of the later versions for support with the 13700k. You can get another USB storage device an geet the latest BIOS version on another PC for that motherboard and flash it with ASUS flashback feature. All you need for that to work is the PSU attached.

Dec 7, 2022
Hi Helper,

The CPU temp is 24°C.

Most of the RAM settings are set to ‘auto’.

I previously disabled Asus performance management 3.0 which was at least getting me to the setup screen but that is no longer working unfortunately (by turning it off it defaults the CPU to core frequency and power limits).

A lot of the ram options want me to chose something if I don’t leave defaulted to ‘auto’ so not sure what to do there.

Thanks

Hi Helper,

The CPU temp is 24°C.

Most of the RAM settings are set to ‘auto’.

I previously disabled Asus performance management 3.0 which was at least getting me to the setup screen but that is no longer working unfortunately (by turning it off it defaults the CPU to core frequency and power limits).

A lot of the ram options want me to chose something if I don’t leave defaulted to ‘auto’ so not sure what to do there.

Thanks
So for the RAM there is something called XMP. It is a profile of settings that the RAM maker makes for specific motherboards to sit at certain speeds. There should be a drop down option somewhere in the BIOS oc section or otherwise that you can select the XMP profile for the RAM so it runs at the speeds advertised on the box.

Dec 7, 2022
Yea I’ve tried leaving XMP disabled and at XMp I & II but no joy. I did manage to run a memtest which showed no issues. I’m beginning to think I have a faulty board.

Dec 7, 2022
Yeah I used the media creator tool, I have tried a few different USBs.

I do think the issue is bigger than a USB problem unfortunately. 9/10 the computer won't 'POST' and has an amber light on the motherboard. If I turned the PC off and on a few times it forces it to post in safe mode, allowing me to access the BIOS and attempt to force boot from the USB.

Yeah I used the media creator tool, I have tried a few different USBs.

I do think the issue is bigger than a USB problem unfortunately. 9/10 the computer won't 'POST' and has an amber light on the motherboard. If I turned the PC off and on a few times it forces it to post in safe mode, allowing me to access the BIOS and attempt to force boot from the USB.
So this is the beta bios I assume.... Due to everyone reporting the same issue you are having with the latest latest bios from asus.... Most of them the problem is when they updated the bios they never renamed the update so the bios is going insane....

Before you update the bios and put the new bios on a USB you need to rename the bios ”SB660F.CAP" after you rename the bios update to this install the bios update using the flash tool

Dec 7, 2022
It's version 2012 which was directly from the ASUS website.

I've just noticed a Q-LED on my motherboard, which shows which state of the boot stage it's failing, so it turns out it is the RAM, and I've no idea how to sort it given it passed a memtest earlier.

I've tried the 4 different slots, using the combination in the user manual but also trying all 4 indivdually to no avail.

It's version 2012 which was directly from the ASUS website.

I've just noticed a Q-LED on my motherboard, which shows which state of the boot stage it's failing, so it turns out it is the RAM, and I've no idea how to sort it given it passed a memtest earlier.

I've tried the 4 different slots, using the combination in the user manual but also trying all 4 indivdually to no avail.
What the qr code of your ram?

Ah ok thanks, unfortunately I've never OC'ed before so I wouldn't know where to even find that information.
Don't attempt at all then please save yourself the migraine and PC don't blow yourself up trying to learn ram... Start with CPUs their so much simpler to understand and transfer over to ram which is more involved then the CPU you have to set everything step by step... Where as CPU you tell the system to set everything basically by telling what ratios you want to get

Dec 7, 2022
I certainly wasn't going to start trying to OC brand new RAM, I'll be attempting it on my old build first before moving over. I really appreciate the support, as I've wasted many hours trying to get this working.

Reactions: white.a.drew
Dec 7, 2022
So, I finally got my new RAM delivered today, that is compatible with the motherboard. Unfortunately I'm having the exact same issues.

I've tried resetting the CMOS, trying one stick of ram in each slot individually etc. but no joy. Could it be a faulty motherboard?

So, I finally got my new RAM delivered today, that is compatible with the motherboard. Unfortunately I'm having the exact same issues.

I've tried resetting the CMOS, trying one stick of ram in each slot individually etc. but no joy. Could it be a faulty motherboard?
It is possible to be faulty mobo with dimm control issues or CPU not getting proper readings

Reactions: helper800