[SOLVED] New Build: i5 12600k/ RTX 3060Ti/32GB RAM (DDR4)

matthewryan2k

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2011
Hello.

I'm putting together a new computer build as I've been using the same one for over 9 years now (an i5 4670K/ GTX 770/16gb RAM with Windows 7). I decided on an i5 12600k/ RTX 3060Ti/32GB RAM (DDR4) build and hoped I could get some feedback on the parts chosen:

PCPartPicker saved build.

It's used mainly for Photoshop and gaming. I currently use a 1080p monitor and Wacom Cintiq 27QHD (2 monitor setup) but wouldn't be averse to moving to 1440p at some point. I'm sure the CPU and RAM (maybe the graphics card as well) might be a little bit overkill for my needs so I'm open to any changes.

I don't have any mandatory part choices and spending a little less would always be a bonus!

Thanks

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-12600K 3.7 GHz 10-Core Processor (£258.99 @ Technextday)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler (£89.99 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: MSI MAG Z690 TOMAHAWK WIFI DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard (£239.99 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (£115.99 @ Currys PC World Business)
Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (£175.00 @ Currys PC World)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£33.00 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8 GB XC GAMING Video Card
Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case (£91.29 @ Box Limited)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£88.97 @ Laptops Direct)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Home OEM 64-bit (£92.00 @ Amazon UK)
Case Fan: Noctua P14s redux-1500 PWM 78.69 CFM 140 mm Fan (£14.98 @ Amazon UK)
Case Fan: Noctua P14s redux-1500 PWM 78.69 CFM 140 mm Fan (£14.98 @ Amazon UK)
Case Fan: Noctua P12 redux-1700 PWM 70.75 CFM 120 mm Fan (£12.99 @ Amazon UK)
Case Fan: Noctua P12 redux-1700 PWM 70.75 CFM 120 mm Fan (£12.99 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £1241.16
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-04-10 12:17 BST+0100

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
The build looks fine however what sort of games do you play and want to play? Each title will demand more or less from your CPU, hence the question. If you're looking at Photoshop duty, I'd up the ram to 64, DDR3600MHz.

I'd also consider getting an i7 over the i5. Split the SSD to a 500GB PCIe gen 4 for OS, 1TB SSD for games library, 250GB SSD for a scratch disk and finally a 2TB HDD for storage of your files.

Lutfij

Titan
The build looks fine however what sort of games do you play and want to play? Each title will demand more or less from your CPU, hence the question. If you're looking at Photoshop duty, I'd up the ram to 64, DDR3600MHz.

I'd also consider getting an i7 over the i5. Split the SSD to a 500GB PCIe gen 4 for OS, 1TB SSD for games library, 250GB SSD for a scratch disk and finally a 2TB HDD for storage of your files.

Reactions: matthewryan2k
Solution

matthewryan2k

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2011
I would say Photoshop is the primary use so all the suggestions you gave have definitely changed my build (other people have suggested i7s). As far as games I'd focus on more graphically intense games although not really at the highest quality (since already the cost is at a max for me). They are definitely a secondary concern. This is an updated list based on other people's feedback and youre own: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/byXz78
Thanks

I liked most of your initial build better.

Puget systems builds Photoshop pc's.
Here is their hardware recommendations for Photoshop.
https://www.pugetsystems.com/recomm...-Adobe-Photoshop-139/Hardware-Recommendations
Of interest is that beyond 8 cores, there is minimal incremental benefit.
The 12600K should do just fine, and is a big jump over your 4670K. The single thread performance is actually a tad better than the 12700F.
Single thread performance is what games need most.
Try running cpu-Z bench on your pc and look at the single thread rating. It should be about 460.
http://valid.x86.fr/bench/mi9llw

Love the Noctua NH-D15 as a cooler. The radiator size is better than the AK620 and the 140mm fan will be stronger and quieter than the 120mm as well.
A good cooler will get you better turbo performance.

The msi Z690 motherboard seems reasonably priced.
I would opt for Z690 with a K suffix processor, I think you will get better turbo results. If the price difference is huge, B660 is ok.
Look for the MSI Z690 PRO A DDR4 wifi. In the US, it is one of the lower cost boards that works well.

For Photoshop, 64gb of ram is a good choice, and 3600 speed is about the sweet spot.

I liked the 2tb samsung 970 evo for the C drive and apps.
You would not notice any difference with a 980 PRO.

What is the purpose of the 1tb HDD?
Whatever, it seems a bit small.
At that size, I might think a conventional 2.5" SSD would be better.
FWIW, Puget thinks highly of the samsung ssd devices:

A 3060ti is a very big jump for fast action games.
I might plan on reusing your GTX770 for a bit since gpu prices are coming down. The Intel discrete graphics card launch this quarter may accelerate that decline.

Love the lancool II mesh case.

Consider windows retail vs. oem. OEM in theory will require a new license if you should ever change out your motherboard.

On fans, I would plan on at least trying out the fans that come with the lancool case first.
Two included front 140mm fans is all the intake you should need, and the included 120mm rear exhaust is there mainly to direct the airflow past your motherboard, cpu cooler, and graphics card.
Adding more fans will disrupt that simple airflow.

matthewryan2k

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2011
I liked most of your initial build better.

Puget systems builds Photoshop pc's.
Here is their hardware recommendations for Photoshop.
https://www.pugetsystems.com/recomm...-Adobe-Photoshop-139/Hardware-Recommendations
Of interest is that beyond 8 cores, there is minimal incremental benefit.
The 12600K should do just fine, and is a big jump over your 4670K. The single thread performance is actually a tad better than the 12700F.
Single thread performance is what games need most.
Try running cpu-Z bench on your pc and look at the single thread rating. It should be about 460.
http://valid.x86.fr/bench/mi9llw

Love the Noctua NH-D15 as a cooler. The radiator size is better than the AK620 and the 140mm fan will be stronger and quieter than the 120mm as well.
A good cooler will get you better turbo performance.

The msi Z690 motherboard seems reasonably priced.
I would opt for Z690 with a K suffix processor, I think you will get better turbo results. If the price difference is huge, B660 is ok.
Look for the MSI Z690 PRO A DDR4 wifi. In the US, it is one of the lower cost boards that works well.

For Photoshop, 64gb of ram is a good choice, and 3600 speed is about the sweet spot.

I liked the 2tb samsung 970 evo for the C drive and apps.
You would not notice any difference with a 980 PRO.

What is the purpose of the 1tb HDD?
Whatever, it seems a bit small.
At that size, I might think a conventional 2.5" SSD would be better.
FWIW, Puget thinks highly of the samsung ssd devices:

A 3060ti is a very big jump for fast action games.
I might plan on reusing your GTX770 for a bit since gpu prices are coming down. The Intel discrete graphics card launch this quarter may accelerate that decline.

Love the lancool II mesh case.

Consider windows retail vs. oem. OEM in theory will require a new license if you should ever change out your motherboard.

On fans, I would plan on at least trying out the fans that come with the lancool case first.
Two included front 140mm fans is all the intake you should need, and the included 120mm rear exhaust is there mainly to direct the airflow past your motherboard, cpu cooler, and graphics card.
Adding more fans will disrupt that simple airflow.
I was actually thinking of holding off on buying a Graphics card straight away. Just build the computer now and add that later when/if the prices go down; I can continue to use my current computer until then. Somehow this one has lasted for just over 9 years without any major issues other than a few fans dying (including the CPU one at one point!).