New build - is it worth building the system now and adding gtx980 at a later stage (in about 6 weeks)?

Comedian

Reputable
Sep 23, 2014
Hi everyone,

I would just like to hear your opinions. I am planning a new build, the old girl (e6750 based build) is kind of long overdue for exchange. I would also like to apologize in advance if it will be a little too long of a post =)

So basically where I stand now is current build runs nice and smooth for every day tasks, I stopped playing games purely because lags irritate to no end and I am not a very huge fan of playing on lowest possible graphic settings - I would rather not play period. I stopped playing round about clocking MASS Effect 3 on close to max settings just to give you an idea. About a year and a half ago I got a ps3 to get me through until the total upgrade time.

Current build is as follows:
e6750 @ 3.4
asus p5k wi-fi deluxe
4gb Transcend ddr2 800
500W noname PSU (worked with no problems for many moons, lol)
XFX 9800gtx+ black edition

The new planned build:
asus maximus vii hero
seasonic x850
2x4g Avexir Blitz 1.1 2133
gtx980
The rest is irrelevant for this question.

Now the problem is this - I am located in South Africa and preliminary eta on gtx980 is end of October (and that is a big may be, could even be mid November).

So my question is - do you guys think I should just go ahead with the build now and run it on my current 9800gtx+ or just wait until the gtx980 becomes available and build altogether in one go?

Let me clarify by saying that in any other country with healthy market I would definitely wait purely from the financial point of view and build altogether. Unfortunately in South Africa this is not the case and prices do not drop on hardware due to monopolized market (to give you an idea gtx780 still retails for about 700USD). So what happens is everything sits at the same price point until eventually it just goes off the market - as straight forward as that. So from this point - the build will cost me exactly the same whether it is now or two months later (some prices may even increase a little).

So it really boils down for me to the question of - will I really benefit anything from the new build on the old 9800gtx+ or in that scenario it really defeats the purpose (the whole purpose is get back into the big gaming =) ) and is not worth wasting my time and energy on it now? (once again, every day work is butter smooth on current build and gtx980 will become available in about 4-6 weeks give or take)

Thanks for all your time, opinions and advise in advance. =)

Videographer

Reputable
Sep 9, 2014
If prices wont drop then you might as well build now, and upgrade the graphics later. By the time the 980 is stocked you might even find that AMD have released the r9 390