May 7, 2020
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3800
GPU: GeForce RTX 2080 Super XC
Motherboard: MSI X570 Gaming Edge WiFi
Memory: 16GB Corsair Vengeance
Storage: Sabrent Rocket Q 2TB
PSU: Be Quiet Straight Power 11 650W
Case: NZXT H710i

First time building a PC. I’m having some weird little issues and I’m not sure what the solution is. It’s been up and running for about two weeks now. It boots up and turns on fine every time. Most of the time it runs perfectly normal, with no issues. But sometimes a few minutes after boot up the mouse will develop a small delay / lag and the sound will be choppy. It starts to skip in a way. Another thing I noticed is that it sometimes has trouble restarting / shutting down. If I restart or shut down from the menu, it will get stuck in the loading screen and stay there for 5-10 minutes. It will then come back like it was just booted up to the login screen and be normal again. And then it will usually shut down / restart correctly after that. I’ve made sure all drivers are updated. I have all necessary programs/software installed. I upgraded BIOS to the latest version. Windows 10 is completely up to date. Any suggestions on what I could try to fix the issue?

Solution
Please follow the steps here so we have some useful data for BSOD analysts if needed. Set it to collect small memory dumps. When you get a BSOD upload the .dmp files at C:\Windows\Minidump using a file hosting such as onedrive. This might as well blame the driver if it's the culprit. I assume you ran the memory check (memtest86+) overnight. If you hadn't, do it. Might as well get it out of the suspects list.

jonbuder

Commendable
May 3, 2020
I would run a full memory test and CPU/GPU/HDD tests to see if anything comes up abnormal.

Have you overclocked at all? BIOS settings on default?

Also consider during normal use leave task manager open showing all detail of resources usage. Sometimes things we forget are even installed or running as a service or background process will be a resource hog. Although your computer is not short on specs, unless you are running folding, mining, rendering or a busy server in the background I don't think anything running as normal should do that.

Did you install windows 10 as a clean install or stick the hard drive in from your last computer by any chance?

May 7, 2020
Yes. All my temps seem to be normal. No overheating of any kind on anything. Even when the mouse starts to lag / sound gets choppy the temps stay low and everything appears normal.
Did you install all the motherboard manufacturer base level (mobo) drivers and needed utilities?
I had a someone similar issue with a SATA (something) driver. The one Windows Update was installing over was causing problems for me.
Yes. I installed all the motherboard drivers and utilities from the msi dragon center. Everything shows it’s up to date and current. There was also a new BIOS version for the mobo so I updated that as well. One thing I did notice when I was updating drivers through device manager is that under “IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers” there were originally 5 controllers listed. I tried to update all of them. 4 of the 5 updated and now say “AMD SATA CONTROLLER” . However, one still says “Standard SATA AHCI. Controller” and says the driver is up to date when trying to update. Is that at all related to this issue you were having?

May 7, 2020
I would run a full memory test and CPU/GPU/HDD tests to see if anything comes up abnormal.

Have you overclocked at all? BIOS settings on default?

Also consider during normal use leave task manager open showing all detail of resources usage. Sometimes things we forget are even installed or running as a service or background process will be a resource hog. Although your computer is not short on specs, unless you are running folding, mining, rendering or a busy server in the background I don't think anything running as normal should do that.

Did you install windows 10 as a clean install or stick the hard drive in from your last computer by any chance?
I ran a full memory test and it came back clear with no issues. I haven’t run the others, but will later today after work.

No overclocking and all BIOS settings are at default.

And as of now I have nothing installed on the pc other than the necessary programs/utilities for the pc components for lighting / support etc. I also have origin & apex installed, which is where the sound skip/choppiness was occurring. But before that was installed I noticed the sound and mouse issue as well occasionally.

For Windows 10 I did a clean install off using the media creation tool from windows so everything is fresh. Now, the windows license key I got was from a buddy who I think bought it off of a sketch website. Something like Kinguin maybe? But I figured I’d try it since he has it left over. It didn’t activate at first so I had to go through the Microsoft chat, but then it activated with no issues. Could that be part of the problem?

jonbuder

Commendable
May 3, 2020
The license key itself, as long as it activates fine through Microsoft's server, wouldn't be able to cause any problems. It's essentially a password that gets entered in a form.

Are you using Bluetooth for the mouse and/or audio?

May 7, 2020
The license key itself, as long as it activates fine through Microsoft's server, wouldn't be able to cause any problems. It's essentially a password that gets entered in a form.

Are you using Bluetooth for the mouse and/or audio?
I am using a Wireless bluetooth mouse. But I have tried it on my buddies PC and it worked fine with no lag / delay. It also works fine the majority of the time on mine, but occasionally starts to lag. If I restart it usually goes away at first. But will come and go randomly. Sometimes it will do it for a minute/ sometimes it will do it for 20. As far as the sound goes I have heard the choppiness / almost robotic sounds occasionally through my monitor (connected via HDMI) as well as through my wireless headset. But the same as the sound, if I restart it will usually be fine after. It comes and goes and is usually accompanied with the mouse lag. Also when this happens if I try to restart, it will usually go to the restart screen and just get stuck (it won’t freeze, it just sits on the restarting screen for 5-10 minutes with the circle spinning) and then goes right back to the login screen. But after logging back in, the issue is usually gone.

jonbuder

Commendable
May 3, 2020
I see. Usually bluetooth is fine, even in an office setting with multiple devices being used all over, so it's unlikely to be part of this problem.

I want to say it sounds like a driver problem, but you've already updated those so you want to rule out any potentially glitchy hardware. To rule out a software problem, sometimes it can be helpful to boot from a USB stick containing Ubuntu or similar. That's not terribly scientific, as it introduces more variables and is only a very good troubleshooting tool when you're dealing with severe, constant (rather than intermittent) issues in the installed OS. You could try it if you've got a USB stick lying around and feel like it, though.

If the component tests come back all clear and normal, what I would do next would be boot into Ubuntu and do some messing around, putting the system under as heavy a load as you can with whatever games you want to download on there and if there are none of the same problems I'd go ahead and back up, wipe and reload windows 10 on your drive and hope for the best.

The sort-of-freezing during a reboot process usually indicates a software-hardware interface problem whether its the driver, an OS file, or the hardware itself.

May 7, 2020
I see. Usually bluetooth is fine, even in an office setting with multiple devices being used all over, so it's unlikely to be part of this problem.

I want to say it sounds like a driver problem, but you've already updated those so you want to rule out any potentially glitchy hardware. To rule out a software problem, sometimes it can be helpful to boot from a USB stick containing Ubuntu or similar. That's not terribly scientific, as it introduces more variables and is only a very good troubleshooting tool when you're dealing with severe, constant (rather than intermittent) issues in the installed OS. You could try it if you've got a USB stick lying around and feel like it, though.

If the component tests come back all clear and normal, what I would do next would be boot into Ubuntu and do some messing around, putting the system under as heavy a load as you can with whatever games you want to download on there and if there are none of the same problems I'd go ahead and back up, wipe and reload windows 10 on your drive and hope for the best.

The sort-of-freezing during a reboot process usually indicates a software-hardware interface problem whether its the driver, an OS file, or the hardware itself.
I will try and do what you’re recommending this weekend! I’ll post back when I’ve done that and see if I can get anything figured out. Thank you!

May 7, 2020
Okay. So I must be wrong. I’m guessing it has to be a driver issue. But I don’t know how to go about fixing whatever the issue is. It was fine for a couple days, but the lag has returned. So when the lag is happening the computer isn’t able to shut down or restart. After about 5-10 minutes it goes to a blue screen and says DRIVER_STATE_POWER_FAILURE. I looked up the most common issues that cause this and tried the fixes they suggested, but nothing has worked. Any ideas on what I could try?

howtobeironic

Honorable
Jun 16, 2018
Please follow the steps here so we have some useful data for BSOD analysts if needed. Set it to collect small memory dumps. When you get a BSOD upload the .dmp files at C:\Windows\Minidump using a file hosting such as onedrive. This might as well blame the driver if it's the culprit. I assume you ran the memory check (memtest86+) overnight. If you hadn't, do it. Might as well get it out of the suspects list.

Solution