New Build - Lightroom & Photoshop PC

nastynate05

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
Hey Guys I would like some input on a system build. It is mainly for editing professional pics (Large RAW (20 MB) and JPEG Files) in Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop CS4, I also do some moderate gaming (Call of Duty 4, 5, and eventually 6).

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: January 2010

BUDGET RANGE: $1000 - $2000

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Adobe Lightroom (Large RAW Files (20MB)), Adobe Photoshop, Gaming, Ripping DVDs for backup collection, all the other stuff like internet, & word processing.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: NONE

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA

PARTS PREFERENCES:

Processor: Intel - Core i7/5

MB: Asus, EVGA, MSI, Gigabit

RAM: Kingston, Corsair, OCZ

HD: Would like an SSD, The Patriot Torqx is preferred
Want 2 SSDs in RAID 0, and 2 or more 1 TB or larger drives in a Raid 1 or 5 (depending if its 3 or more drives)

Optical: DVD burner is sufficent. SATA!!

VC: Currently have a 4870 i am happy with it not sure if I want to make the move though. ATI VC preferred.

OVERCLOCKING: No

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1680x1050, 1920x1080

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Need a recommend on a good professional monitor. Thanks in advance.

wathman

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
Go with an i7 860, since photoshop is your main use, you'll probably benefit from the hyperthreading and better clock speed. MB and RAM: I have no real brand loyalty with those, I look for the best deals at the time and known brands such as those you've selected.

For SSDs, the Torqx is pretty nice, but it is built exactly like the OCZ Summit. The older firmware of the OCZ Summit had some issues that were fixed with the latest revision. Since the Torqx shares the same modules and samsung controller, I'd see if this was already corrected. Also, the OCZ Vertex is better than the OCZ Summit, and by extension, the Torqx. If you want to go for the outright best SSD you can get right now at a "reasonable" price, that's the Intel G2 MLC based drives.

your 4870 is a great card. If you want to invest in a 5870, it's about as powerful as 2 4870s.

For monitors, Samsung has been advertising professional grade monitors, though don't know what the quality is like. NEC makes some really nice panels, but they aren't cheap, and they never go on sale it seems. I hate to admit it, but Dell seems to always have the best pro grade monitors at a good price. The 2408WFP is practically a standard for professionals. There are of course many better options out there, but you are going to pay much much more for those options.