New build need help QUICK

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dklhutto

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2011
have asrock 770de motherboard
gtx 460 pny
gskill 2x2gb 10666 8-8-8-21 ddr3 1333
amd 965 be quad core cpu
antec earthwatt 500 watt psu

cant get to run stable freezes blue screen bsod window 7 32bit os did not do clean install of os didnt want loose pitures or ole lady will kill me lol or to reinstall game s and programs but it does run please help

Solution

dklhutto

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2011
look at the system manufacturer and system model why this there and not showing my board?

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name DKLHUTTO-PC
System Manufacturer To Be Filled By O.E.M.
System Model To Be Filled By O.E.M.
System Type X86-based PC
Processor AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 965 Processor, 3400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. P1.70, 9/7/2010
SMBIOS Version 2.5
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7601.17514"
User Name dklhutto-PC\dklhutto
Time Zone Central Daylight Time

RussK1

Splendid

System info isn't going to show board manufacturer, only BIOS version and date. Weird that it's not showing memory...

do you have a repair install disk... or a windows install disk? you can repair from that and it won't do anything with your data. Although you should back up sentimental stuff.

dklhutto

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2011

oh yeah cut off the ram part its there lol

dklhutto

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2011
ok going to try driver sweep on all drivers that show up in safe mode if that dont work goin for clean install which i think is best bet i do have the pics on another drive not installed on this as back up and operating sytem on there to and all i got for windows 7 is upgrade disk not bootable disc

RussK1

Splendid

That's your wisest choice, back up your data and re-install. The upgrade disk will work as I've used them before. And yes you can boot from the upgrade disk but either way, just do it.

Get back to me...

Back up your data--but so you know, Windows 7 installs don't delete your data, it moves it to a folder called Windows.Old on your root directory.

I'm surprised people haven't talked more about you having unstable bios settings. Have you reset your bios or changed all the settings to "slow"/default settings to make sure it's stable. There's a chance that Windows has nothing to do with it.

RussK1

Splendid

His Bios are default, the only thing he checked was memory voltage and timings. And I believe it is windows... he swapped EVERYTHING (hardware wise) out and somehow he booted into windows. He probably has so many driver conflicts it's retarted. Atleast if he cleanly installs windows and still has issues it'll narrow it down to the memory.
...and you're right, windows will save everything to the Windows.old folder.

What's crazy is that people were telling him to run prime95 which is moronic to say the least. It's a stability test not a diagnostic one. We all knew it wasn't stable so what is prime95 going to show him??

I totally agree that Prime95 would be useless (currently). I'd still turn down the memory settings to run at 1066 w/ 1600 latencies and see if it crashes after that (actually, Prime95 memory test might be useful at that point). Although I would recommend running Memtest86+ from a flash stick to test the memory.

I read through the thread and only saw that he'd checked memory voltage and timings. I didn't know that he'd check all his S1, etc. states, as well as CPU voltage, bus speeds, & multipliers. Sometimes those settings make you say, "Now how'd it get set to that?" So it's worth checking at least if you're searching for what's causing crashes. Resetting your bios to defaults should be the first step. My friend's 2.2GHz CPU was running at 1.8GHz initially for some reason--so I'm not sure what accidental settings may be.

I agree that a Windows clean boot may help, since a corrupted installation may cause BSODs on its own. But it's worth the 5 minutes to check settings and make sure it's not the CPU or Northbridge (with a high fsb setting) as well as running a full Memtest86+ RAM test if he doesn't have stuff backed up.

But STEP 1 should always be: BACK UP DATA.

EDIT: Additionally, it can't hurt to try to isolate what's causing the BSOD. Try running LinX (watch temps on HWMonitor while running it and cancel if it gets too hot) and see if it hangs or crashes. If it does, it's probably your CPU.

Does it BSOD when you're playing games? 30 seconds after boot up? When you try to run Google Chrome? Does it ever tell you a driver crashed? We need a lot more diagnostic info relating to the situations of the crashes to tell you anything more than it MIGHT be a driver problem and reinstalling Windows MIGHT fix it.

RussK1

Splendid
I'd still turn down the memory settings to run at 1066 w/ 1600 latencies and see if it crashes after that

I agree, If the windows install doesn't work to clear up the issue then I was going to suggest running the memory at slower speeds. If that cures the blue screens then it proves faulty ram. Just got to find out which stick, and I mentioned running with one stick at a time in order to narrow it down. Which should have been done from the beginning should any problems arise. Rule, build a system = run with bare essentials should there be a problem.

Trying to save him trouble with RMA procedures by cleanly installing windows (which should be done anyhow) and removing driver issues from the equation. If the problem keeps showing it's nasty little head then it's memory. He's getting the error memory_management 0x000008e so there's a reason for it. I went to the Microsoft site and there is even some documentation as to which causes this such as bad drivers, corrupt HDD, corrupt OS, etc etc. The main one was the video driver which I too mentioned.

Hopefully the install fixes the issue... the moral of the story is trouble shooting sucks. :fou:

dklhutto

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2011
ok this what i have done
safe mode driver sweep
reistalled all drivers with disc and pny driver for the gtx 460
havnt seen bsod yet bios set at default ram timing at default 9-9-9-24 1.5v
ran furmark just to see what happens screen froze about 5min in had to reset and reboot ran a game live for speed all was fine shut down pc
wert back and turned it on looks like it boot up fine but nothing on screen like there was no video out put had to restart many times to get every thing to boot up then shut down and rebooted booted up fine restarted all went fine left it for about 30min tried to boot up no screen couldnt tell if it acually boote dup or not with out screen reset and booted a couple of thime to get it back and this is where i am at work now cant mess with it now to see if it will boot up

dklhutto

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2011
ok this what i have done
safe mode driver sweep
reistalled all drivers with disc and pny driver for the gtx 460
havnt seen bsod yet bios set at default ram timing at default 9-9-9-24 1.5v
ran furmark just to see what happens screen froze about 5min in had to reset and reboot ran a game live for speed all was fine shut down pc
wert back and turned it on looks like it boot up fine but nothing on screen like there was no video out put had to restart many times to get every thing to boot up then shut down and rebooted booted up fine restarted all went fine left it for about 30min tried to boot up no screen couldnt tell if it acually boote dup or not with out screen reset and booted a couple of thime to get it back and this is where i am at work now cant mess with it now to see if it will boot up

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1922565

this is the power supply ive got
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371035
and my case is
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129066
video card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133326
cpu
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103727
board
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157176
ram
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231205

WOW just noticed the ram voltage should be 1.67v--------------this could be a problem board is running at 1.5v? at default bios setting

ok with this build was wondering with all fans and 125w cpu. The plugs coming off my power supply to video card are all on the power cord for video card 1 x 2 x 6pin + 2 pin am i not getting all power the card needs psu is rated at 2 x +12v rails at 22amp per rail. On the motherboard i have 2 x 4pin which i am using both for the motherboard. Was wondering if the EUP ready has anything to do with this?

and thx for all the input you have givin me. I have givin all the info i can till you ask for more and what you need

this should all work together right i hope i am out of dollars to spend
PS how do I find out what i need to set all the bios setting s to for this build?

Thx dklhutto

bucknutty

Distinguished
Start small! People are jumping all over with rather extreme solutions. Earlier in the post it seemed the issue was ram, but then the story got a little mixed up. I still think the issue is the ram, either the settings, or the brand is incompatible. I would run the windows mem test and see what happens. If t passes the extended tests then move on to drivers or the graphics card. Like some of the other posts recommend.
If it fails try it again with only 1 stick of ram. If it still fails try one of the other sticks of ram. If it still fails try another slot. If it still fails try either different brand ram or try to use the lowest preset ram setting in the bios.

RussK1

Splendid

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231189

This is the memory he has... 8-8-8-21 @ 1.5v. He did the windows memory diagnostic if you'd read the entire post... I also told him to test memory one module at a time and in different sockets. Either it's a bad module or a bad socket or, as microsoft puts it, bad drivers, bad video card a corrupt operating system... the underlying problem is that he switched EVERY single piece of hardware without re-installing windows. If you know ANYTHING about Microsoft you'd know Microsoft doesn't play well with that unless you re-install the operating system. It's a pain in the ass, but re-installing the OS obliviates a corrupt OS or driver conflicts...

Try changing video adapters.
Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates.
Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.
If you plan to debug this problem, you might find it difficult to obtain a stack trace. Parameter 2 (the exception address) should identify the driver or function that caused this problem.
If you do not know the specific cause of the exception, consider the following items:
Hardware incompatibility. Make sure that any new hardware installed is listed in the Microsoft Windows Marketplace Tested Products List.
Faulty device driver or system service. A faulty device driver or system service might be responsible for this error. Hardware issues, such as BIOS incompatibilities, memory conflicts, and IRQ conflicts can also generate this error.
If the bug check message lists a driver by name , disable or remove that driver. Also, disable or remove any drivers or services that were recently added. If the error occurs during the startup sequence and the system partition is formatted with NTFS file system, you might be able to use Safe Mode to rename or delete the faulty driver. If the driver is used as part of the system startup process in Safe Mode, you have to start the computer by using the Recovery Console to access the file.

RussK1

Splendid

This memory you have listed are only 1GB modules and your original post you said gskill 2x2gb 10666 8-8-8-21 ddr3 1333 so you're mistaken somewhere. Do you have 4GB of memory or 2GB?? Because both are different...

dklhutto

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2011
yes i agree i was wrong and the voltage should be 1.67v at the timing 8-8-8-21
but default bios is at 1.5v and timing is 9-9-9-24 which in my book should be stable
V
ASRock M3A770DE QVL Rev 1.02 24/08/2010
DDR3-1333

1GB G.SKILL F3-10666CL8D-4GBHK DS V ---------this is what i have right
2GB G.SKILL F3-10666CL8D-4GBRM DS V
2GB G.SKILL F3-10666CL8D-4GBECO DS V

RussK1

Splendid

The link he gave are only 1GB modules in his OP he said he had 2GB modules... 1GB and the 2GB versions run on different voltages. So he needs to look at his memory's packaging and be certain, not conflicting because he's confusing me.

yeah--i wasnt arguing with anyone--as you say it got confusing over which ram he had--hopefully if its the 1.65v ones and that will be the problem as hes got 1.5v in bios

RussK1

Splendid

I don't know, is it? What does it say on the side of the memory? Here's what newegg says for this memory-

Model
Brand
G.SKILL
Model
F3-10666CL8D-4GBHK
Type
240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM
Tech Spec
Capacity
4GB (2 x 2GB)
Speed
DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)
Cas Latency
Timing
8-8-8-21
Voltage
1.5V

and here's Gskill-

http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=95

RussK1

Splendid

Yeah I'm not trying argue he just needs look at the side of the memory it'll state timings and voltage. There's 2 sides to the coin, too low of a voltage = instability and too high of of a voltage = dead memory... the latter being the worse of the two.

F3-10666CL8D-4GBECO

he also mentioned this memory which runs on 1.35v...

http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=245

Status
Not open for further replies.