New build no post

keniption

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012
ECS H61H2-M13 LGA 1155 Intel H61 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

http://tinyurl.com/d4ffbc8

Patriot Gamer 2 Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model PGD38G1600ELK

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220558&nm_mc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel&cm_mmc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel-_-Content-_-text-_-

Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116504&nm_mc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel&cm_mmc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel-_-Content-_-text-_-

I have a 1000w psu and a 500w psu that are from two working stable comps that I had running up to today. I have checked out the benchmark and still quite not sure what's going on. I have everything stripped.

The only things I have currently hooked up is the cpu,mobo,cpu heatsink and one ram stick. I can not get the bios to post. No image nothing. All of my fans come on and led lights.

Is there a compatibility issue? What am I doing wrong. :(

Also I noticed if I leave the mobo running for say 30secs it eventually turns itself off.

ddan49

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012
Why one RAM stick? If you're on dual-channel, the RAM is formatted for dual-channel. Put both in.

Oh, and make sure that your monitor is plugged into your GPU. Alternatively, take out the GPU and see if it works.

keniption

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012
Sorry didn't mention. I had both sticks in and it still didn't post. I had my gpu in and the mobo didn't post. I followed a guild line on here somewhere telling me to strip down to bare minimum and go from there. They suggested if two sticks didn't post to try one and to try onboard vga.

Nothings working for me so far. I can give two sticks another go. I tried plugging my keyboard into the back usb and no light turns on. Does it need to reach post before power is given to this device?

Why would use a $59 motherboard with a $230 cpu. That board has not been reviewed by anyone on newegg. I belive that you may need to update the mobo to work with that cpu. I would check their website to verify an update is needed.

good luck

ddan49

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012
Yeah, seriously, I don't think that an H61 mobo would work very well with a quad-core unlocked CPU. You can't even overclock on that mobo! I think the problem is compatibility. There are problems with SB chipsets (like H61 and Z68) running with IB chips (like the i5-3570k you have). You really should have done some research or at least asked before you bought the components.

have you flashed the bios on the h61 mobo? if you bought the cpu without the knowledge that if you use a last gen mobo with ivy bridge requires a bios flash with a sandy bridge cpu, then thats the fault right there(and is why you should have gotten your build checked)

keniption

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012
The reason was because I was on a budget. I figured it would work fine as I did ask people. Not on here but another forum. It has Ivy bridge support plus lga1155. Is it at all possible to flash the board at this point or should I just return it?

I was trying to get the best performance for around 300. I wanted a nice cpu for games like BF3. I didn't think it would hurt going with that one.

Yeah I was scratching my head too on that ECS choice. Good grief. That's like building a sports car with a nice V8 and then cheaping out on the chassis, drive train, suspension, and tires...you may have the horsepower but it can't be used!

Return that ECS and get a real board for that CPU, a Z77. There are plenty out there in the $90-$110 range. You're going to have to double up on the MOBO to get a stable rig.

keniption

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012
I actually have an I3 sitting here. If I tossed that in would I be able to update the bios to get the i5 running. What exactly is bad about the board? I got it obviously due to poor budget and the fact it said it could run at 1600 (Ivy bridge)

because the sandy bridge boards cannot read ivy bridge processors till it is flashed. if you have an i3, than go flash the mobo.