Question New build not posting

osubsm42

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2014
Hey guys, not sure where else to go here. I started on a new build and having issues getting anything running.

When I turn the power on, the motherboard quickly flashes the CPU LED and then it goes dark and nothing else comes on. The CPU fan doesn't come on, nor any of the system fans. Trying to isolate the problem, I unplugged everything except for the CPU and CPU fan and tried it again, same result. I've checked the pins on the motherboard, and everything looks fine. I've also tried it with the motherboard outside of the case.

I tested out the PSU by jumping it and it came on without a problem.

Full specs:
CPU: Intel i5-13600k
Motherboard: MSI PRO Z790-P WiFi DDR4
RAM: G.SKILL 32GB (2 x 16GB) Ripjaws V Series DDR4
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1650
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
PSU: CORSAIR RM Series (2021), RM650, 650 Watt, 80 PLUS GOLD Certified
HDD: Western Digital 1TB WD Green Internal SSD

At a loss for what else to try. Any help on what to try next would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition (new, refurbished, used)? If modular PSU did you use only the cables that came with the PSU?

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity, how full?

Do you hear any beep codes? Some pattern of long and short beeps? You may need to install a small speaker in order to hear the beeps.

osubsm42

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2014
full system spec? include brand an model of the psu

CPU: Intel i5-13600k
Motherboard: MSI PRO Z790-P WiFi DDR4
RAM: G.SKILL 32GB (2 x 16GB) Ripjaws V Series DDR4
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1650
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
PSU: CORSAIR RM Series (2021), RM650, 650 Watt, 80 PLUS GOLD Certified
HDD: Western Digital 1TB WD Green Internal SSD

All parts were bought new, nothing on the disk drives.

I don't get any feedback other than the CPU LED light comes on for less than a second and then off. I don't have a speaker right now for the beeps, but have one on order now.

osubsm42

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2014
Couple more things I tried. I pulled everything out of the case, including the CPU. I hooked up a known working PSU, then updated the BIOS on the motherboard successfully using Flashback.

Then I installed the CPU again and tried to turn it on, knowing that I would get an error for no RAM. When I powered it on this time, the PSU fan started to spin, but then immediately stopped. The CPU light on motherboard started to light up, but also went out. It almost appears as though something is shorting it out. But I have the motherboard out of the case and sitting on cardboard, so it’s not touching metal anywhere.

Does it sound like a bad CPU at this point?

TRENDING THREADS