[SOLVED] New Build Older parts

4ener

Commendable
May 18, 2021
Building a pc with known good parts for a friends daughter and I'm having issues booting new hd with windows 10 installed on asus maximus vii hero and q code ae. I've been build PC's for 20+ years and have never seen this before all parts we're tested prior to putting the machine together. I've taken it apart a few time and getting the same results (now I know I'm going crazy).

Seeking help and suggestions...... Thanks!!!

Solution
Specs:
Asus Maximus VII Hero MB
Intel i7 4790K CPU
Cooler Master MasterLiquid LC120E
Corsair Vengeance DDR3 2400 32GB
Asus GTX 1070 8MB Video
WD 1TB HD
EVGA SuperNova G2 1000W PS

Hard drive had Windows 10 installed on from another system and was working
Remove the drive and see if it will boot into BIOS.
If so make sure it's in UEFI, and change from IDE to AHCI then do a fresh install of windows on that PC.

4ener

Commendable
May 18, 2021
Specs:
Asus Maximus VII Hero MB
Intel i7 4790K CPU
Asus GTX 1070 8MB Video
WD 1TB HD

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Specs:
Asus Maximus VII Hero MB
Intel i7 4790K CPU
Asus GTX 1070 8MB Video
WD 1TB HD

If so make sure it's in UEFI, and change from IDE to AHCI then do a fresh install of windows on that PC.

Last edited:
Solution
Specs:
Asus Maximus VII Hero MB
Intel i7 4790K CPU
Asus GTX 1070 8MB Video
WD 1TB HD

If you move the drive to a system with a different motherboard it needs to be wiped clean and a fresh windows install performed.

4ener

Commendable
May 18, 2021
If so make sure it's in UEFI, and change from IDE to ACHI then do a fresh install of windows on that PC.
If so make sure it's in UEFI, and change from IDE to ACHI then do a fresh install of windows on that PC.
System won't boot to bios, Q code is A2 and just sits......

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Take this down to the most simple system you can. Remove GPU, go down to one stick of RAM, and even at that I would see if you have some "basic" 1600 DDR3 on hand somewhere. I would reset CMOS on that board, and see if it still shows trouble codes.

I am sure you have looked them up already. AE is no operating system, A2 is drive or GPU fault (how strange to put those together).

Try to remove all drives and see if it will reliably boot to BIOS and or the "no operating system" screen. If it works there I would probably try to boot it from an installer USB.

edit- also, did you read to see if having the M.2 installed disables one of SATA slots?

4ener

Commendable
May 18, 2021
Remove all the drives and boot into BIOS if it's a working PC it will let you, then again confirm UEFI mode and AHCI not IDE.

Edit keyboard mouse should be plugged into a USB 2.0 not 3.0
Well it's stipped down to 1 stick ram, no gpu and it won't boot to bios and it's sitting at A0..... Maybe I should just buy a cheap MB and work from there.