New Build Operating system locking up during gaming and requires a manual restart, windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curses

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2015
My computer has been intermittently Locking up during gaming and on rare occasion it will reboot.
I have been experiencing this problem since i built the computer in November of last year. It has been occurring at the same frequency since then.

Essentially, As i am gaming ( any game) the operating system will lock up and it requires me to manually reset the computer by pushing the power button. The game will freeze, almost like it took a picture, No black screens or blue screens, Just the image of the game i was in at the point in time where the operating system froze up. I am not getting any error messages when this occurs and i cannot hear any background sounds within the game. I have tried letting the computer sit for a while to see if it corrects itself, but it does not.

CPU-
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @4.00GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz

Motherboard-
Part# 90MB0M90-M0AAY0
ASUS Max VIII Hero Motherboard ATX Z170 LGA1151 64GB

RAM-
Model# CMK16GX4M4A2400C14R
CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (4 x 4GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200)
Memory kit for DDR4 Systems.

CPU cooler-
CRYORIG R1 Ultimate Dual Tower Heatsink for AMD/Intel CPU - Black

Video Card-
MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti DirectX 12 GTX 980TI GAMING 6G 6GB 384-Bit GDDR5 PCI
Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support ATX Video Card

Power Supply (model number, or company and wattage at least)
E.V.G.A. Supernova 850 G2
850 watt Gold

Hard drive(s)
1# Seagate Desktop HDD ST1000DM003 1TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard
Drive Bare Drive
2# Crucial BX100 2.5" 250GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
CT250BX100SSD1

Case
Rosewill WolfAlloy ATX Mid Tower Gaming Computer Case, support VGA card length up to 340mm, come with four fans-2 x Front 120mm Fan, 1 x Rear 120mm Fan, 1 x Top 140mm Fan

USB keyboard @ mouse
- Logitech Wireless Combo MK270 920-004536 Black USB 2.0 RF Wireless Keyboard &
Mouse
- The wireless mouse and keyboard only use 1 USB receiver that plugs into the usb slot on
The computer. I don't use the use mouse, just the keyboard.
- Logitech M570 wireless trackball

Fans-
I have 4 case fans. The slots that they plug into are capable of regulating fan speeds, but the ones I have dont have that capability, So i always have them set to run on high.

So far, I have taken a few steps to troubleshoot, but I am not very knowledgeable about these things. Here is what I have done.

1- Uninstalled the Nvidia drivers via the add/remove programs and then reinstalled them via the Nvidia Geforce experience program.

2- Ran the " heaven Benchmark 4.0" The temps in the program registered as a max of 69 degrees and a minimum of 53 degrees. This was on the Ultra setting.

3- Ran the " intel extreme tuning Utility" I did the CPU stress test. I ran this for an hour.

4- Ran memtest 86 and did 4 passes.

5- Reseated my ram

My operating system did not freeze up and none of the programs crashed during the stress tests. Thank you for taking the time to help me troubleshoot this problem. I appreciate it.

Solution
I would update the BIOS in the BIOS.

If you use ASUS suite it may freeze and brick it. If you turn it off (if it freezes). But even if it bricked it, it would be easy to fix

I would go back into the BIOS and reconfigure the settings, if you didnt before. With newer mobos it'll reset the settings back to the default settings after you flash the BIOS

Curses

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2015
I forgot to mention under the troubleshooting that i did update the bios to version 1402. I apologize for that oversight. Although when i did do the update through the asus suite. After the restart it took me to a screen that said this, " Please enter setup to recover bios settings, When raid configuration was built, ensure to set sata configuration to raid mode. Press f1 to enter setup". I had no idea what this meant so i exited out of the setup and started the computer normally. After the normal start, it showed the bios as being updated to version 1402.

I would update the BIOS in the BIOS.

If you use ASUS suite it may freeze and brick it. If you turn it off (if it freezes). But even if it bricked it, it would be easy to fix

I would go back into the BIOS and reconfigure the settings, if you didnt before. With newer mobos it'll reset the settings back to the default settings after you flash the BIOS

Solution

Curses

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2015
Alright, I updated the bios through the bios and made sure to "load optimized defaults" then saved and exited the bios. Ill run some games and see if this fixed the problem.

Curses

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2015
Alright, bad news is it crashed again. Good news is it was actually a BSoD with an error. So i guess we have somewhere to start now. The error was " PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

Curses

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2015
Ok, i just tested all of the ram individually and found zero errors. I reinstalled windows 10 with all of the drivers for the cpu and graphics card and it is still crashing. Im going to reinstall all the ram real quick and try running hwinfo after running the witcher 3. I just realized i never used that program to test the gpu temperature. Could an overheating gpu be causing these issues?

Curses

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2015
Response to my own post. It wound up being a faulty 980ti graphics card. So if anyone has similar issues, take out the graphics card and pop in another or run stuff with onboard graphics to see if the issue persists.

Status
Not open for further replies.