[SOLVED] New build. PC shuts down at seemingly random times.

Feb 12, 2020
Here's my new build:
  • AMD Ryzen 7 3700x
  • OC-8GD Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700 XT 8G
  • Gigabyte X570 AORUS Elite WiFi
  • CORSAIR 650RM (650Watts)
  • (2 x 8GB)G.Skill Trident Z Neo Series DDR4 3600MHz CL16-19-19-39
  • Cooler Master MasterCase H500 ATX
  • Sabrent 1Tb Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0
And I am running it on 4K a monitor

I built this PC over this weekend and it has been having issues that I can only describe as being PSU or power related. I was surprised since I calculated my total power usage to be around 400w Max and the PSU can supposedly supply 650W. I would think I have enough headroom with the PSU especially since the PSU is new.. I mean everything is new.

Could it be that I have a bad PSU or simply that I need a more powerful PSU?

The first signs of the issue appeared when I tried to start Borderlands 3 or tried to watch 4K youtube videos. The computer does a hard shut down and restarts. I then updated then BIOS on the motherboard and that seemed to fix the issue for a while and I was able to play Borderlands with no problems.... But I tried running Fortnite which seems to push the GPU/Power to the max when it defaults to the auto settings. Fornite is crashing the PC reliably.

To make matters worse sometimes just opening the Epic Games Launcher will hard crash the PC or sometimes at seemingly random times. Then today, to make sure it was really a power related issue I ran the OCCT power supply test and yes that also crashed my PC reliably.

I am grasping at straws at the moment to me on paper it seems that everything should work but it doesn't. I have tried re-stalling drivers, reseating the GPU, re-wiring the fans and making sure the power connections are seated properly.

Any advice would greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
Solution
I am not getting BSOD. Just it shutsdown and immediately it boots back up.

Something else I forgot to add. In the event viewer is shows under Critical: Error 41 Kernel-Power many times.

I have run GPU stress test and CPU tests and the computer runs fine. While the power tests that's another story as mentioned. All the temperatures I have seen so far for both GPU and CPU are in the range of 60C-70C.
Unless the temperatures spike really quickly before the shutdown where I am not likely to be paying attention to the temps.

If CPU and GPU stress test runs fine I don't think its a PSU problem.

I would go to BIOS and restore the default setting, save and dont touch or change anything else, then go to Windows and see if its...
Here's my new build:
  • AMD Ryzen 7 3700x

I built this PC over this weekend and it has been having issues that I can only describe as being PSU or power related. I was surprised since I calculated my total power usage to be around 400w Max and the PSU can supposedly supply 650W. I would think I have enough headroom with the PSU especially since the PSU is new.. I mean everything is new.

The first signs of the issue appeared when I tried to start Borderlands 3 or tried to watch 4K youtube videos. The computer does a hard shut down and restarts. I then updated then BIOS on the motherboard and that seemed to fix the issue for a while and I was able to play Borderlands with no problems.... But I tried running Fortnite which seems to push the GPU/Power to the max when it defaults to the auto settings. Fornite is crashing the PC reliably.

To make matters worse sometimes just opening the Epic Games Launcher will hard crash the PC or sometimes at seemingly random times. Then today, to make sure it was really a power related issue I ran the OCCT power supply test and yes that also crashed my PC reliably.

I am grasping at straws at the moment to me on paper it seems that everything should work but it doesn't. I have tried re-stalling drivers, reseating the GPU, re-wiring the fans and making sure the power connections are seated properly.

Are you getting a BSOD and if so what does it say?

Reactions: RodroX
I thing there are atleast a few things that can be related to your issues:

• Bad installed cooler/heatsink, the system gets too hot and it shutdown to protect it self
  • RAM (easiest thing to try out, just download memtest and see any of the tutorials on how to create a boot disk and run the test)
  • Motherboard (a short circuit with the case, or a factory problem)
  • CPU (simple a bad CPU)
  • Windows installation (Windows 10 should be downloaded from Microsoft to get the lastest version, always)
  • Drivers (if you installed the wrong ones, or old ones).
  • extra software with incompatibilities (for example: the infamous RGB software or the extra crap most motherboard vendors add and most people install, the only things you need are the newer chipset driver which should be downloaded from AMD page, and then LAN, Sound drivers ).

Have you tried to build and test-run the System over a wooden table or paperboard?, And only using 1 stick of RAM?

Do you have an extra PSU to test?

I would really start with the RAM tests, and make sure I have the lastest Windows version!

Cheers

Here's my new build:
  • AMD Ryzen 7 3700x

First, it's a fine looking build. The RM650 PSU, if working properly, can easily handle your build. Just to verify, did you connect both power cables to the video card? Your video card has 2 diagnostic LED's just above each PCIe power connector. Both LED's should be off. Are they on or flashing? If either is on it indicates no power connection on that cable. If either are flashing it indicates abnormal power, which I'd interpret as a potential PSU problem. Have you checked temps for the CPU and GPU? Are you using the stock CPU cooler? Have you verified it's mounted correctly?

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2020

Something else I forgot to add. In the event viewer is shows under Critical: Error 41 Kernel-Power many times.

As for the GPU, I do have two PCIe cables running to it and have never seen the LEDs near the cables On to suggest a power problem to the GPU.

Sadly, I do not have another PSU to swap and I believe I have the newest windows version. I have downloaded all the windows updates and got the AMD drivers directly from Gigabyte. Before I had the regular Radeon 5700XT drivers and uninstalled and installed the Gygabyte drivers but that that didn't fix it.

I have run GPU stress test and CPU tests and the computer runs fine. While the power tests that's another story as mentioned. All the temperatures I have seen so far for both GPU and CPU are in the range of 60C-70C.
Unless the temperatures spike really quickly before the shutdown where I am not likely to be paying attention to the temps.

I would go to BIOS and restore the default setting, save and dont touch or change anything else, then go to Windows and see if its still shutdown.

If it does, I would really download the chipset and GPU drivers from AMD page, then I would check that the right power plan is selected "Ryzen Balanced Power Plan".

Finally it wont hurt to start over again from the scrath reinstall Windows again, and then STOP, and install the drivers and apps one by one, don't rush to it. Install Windows, then install the main drivers (chipset, gpu, lan, sound), then download 1 stress test (prime95 doesn't need to be installed to run it) and see what happend. After that download some game and try it too, and soo on. Avoid installing unnecesary apps!!! And keep the BIOS on its default/optimized settings.

If everything runs well, then only then go into BIOS again and try adjusting the memory (speed) XMP profile.

Solution
Feb 12, 2020

I would go to BIOS and restore the default setting, save and dont touch or change anything else, then go to Windows and see if its still shutdown.

If it does, I would really download the chipset and GPU drivers from AMD page, then I would check that the right power plan is selected "Ryzen Balanced Power Plan".

Finally it wont hurt to start over again from the scrath reinstall Windows again, and then STOP, and install the drivers and apps one by one, don't rush to it. Install Windows, then install the main drivers (chipset, gpu, lan, sound), then download 1 stress test (prime95 doesn't need to be installed to run it) and see what happend. After that download some game and try it too, and soo on. Avoid installing unnecesary apps!!! And keep the BIOS on its default/optimized settings.

If everything runs well, then only then go into BIOS again and try adjusting the memory (speed) XMP profile.

I just noticed there is arcing between the IO shield and the motherboard every time you flip on the power supply. The IO shield was not flush with the case so it was not properly grounded. Sparks were bridging the gap to the case.

I am concerned that might have fried the mobo. That arcing is likely what was happening every time it the PC turned off.

Besides, the obvious visual inspection of the motherboard is there another way to determine if the motherboard is still working fine?

What I explainned earlier.

Disassembly the the whole system and take it out of the case. Then build it over a wooden table or a paper board big enough to hold the motherboard and test it like that. Forget about the case until youre sure the system is working properly. And also be very carefull don't touch anything if the power is ON!!!, Always unplug the PSU from the socket wall!!!