New Build plus Win 10 upgrade at same time

bcastle

Honorable
Jul 19, 2013
I'm about to build my next rig after my CPU and monitor get here this week and I'm currently running Win 7 on my old POS. Nothing from this computer is being used except maybe a hard drive as a back up. I have a new drive.

Should I do the Win 10 upgrade first on my old computer first to get the activation code? Then make a boot disk for the new computer? Or should I do a clean install of Win 7 on the new build and suffer through the several plus hours of updates? Then do the Win 10 upgrade afterwards but before I start loading programs on it? Anyone done a build plus upgrade like this? I might have re-activation issues. Its happened to me twice before on other computers when I did upgrades and fresh re-installs with the same win7 key.

Can I even make a boot disk with win10 from one computer and use it on another one?

Inachu

Honorable
Nov 1, 2012
You can upgrade and then use either a hard drive copier or make the new drive the E: drive or something and then use the software that comes with the new drive to clone the old drive onto the new drive then swap the new drive in place of the old drive then you can format the old drive or use it as emergency backup.

USAFRet

Titan

Huh?
Moving a drive between systems often does not work.
Whether it is the physical drive, or a clone of that...makes no difference.

It needs a clean install in the new hardware.

Inachu

Honorable
Nov 1, 2012

Not if it is a perfect clone.

USAFRet

Titan

Sorry, but no.
I have a drive with an OS
If I move that drive to a new PC, it probably will not boot up

If I make a 'perfect clone' of that drive on a whole other drive...and put that drive in a new PC...exact same result. Probably won't boot.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
What magic do you think happens in a 'perfect clone' that would circumvent that?

Inachu

Honorable
Nov 1, 2012

I have been doing hard drive cloning for over 27 years in my line of work. Only times it does not work is when the drive goes bad and you gotta copy files by hand.

Industry standards to use NORTON GHOST and such or a partiton copier.
Even back in the days of DOS 2.0 a simple copy then make new drive bootable.
Using today technology you can make a usb drive bootable to fix old computers
TOMSHARDWARE VIDEO: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06aRPJ5u8ns

USAFRet

Titan
So...in your experience:

I can take a drive that has been installed in an AMD system, Install a Windows OS (your choice of which version), make a clone of that drive onto a new drive, put that cloned drive into a whole other system...Intel i7 this time...

...And it will boot perfectly, every time, between any two random systems...

In my experience, that does not hold true.
(And I've been doing this a long time as well)

Inachu

Honorable
Nov 1, 2012

Noo!!!!!! Always has to be same chipset. If yo u have 5 different computers then you will need 5 different ghost images.

USAFRet

Titan

That is a whole different thing than what the OP asked initially.
He is making a whole new PC.

Yes...same chipset? Almost always works.
Different chipset? Not gonna work.

Inachu

Honorable
Nov 1, 2012

I must have read that wrong then. If so mea culpa /EOT for me

Inachu

Honorable
Nov 1, 2012

I must have read that wrong then. If so mea culpa /EOT for me