Question New build posts, takes forever to power up

InTheCity

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
Just finished a new AMD 32 core HEDT build to replace my 40 core Xeon V2. Basically an upgrade on an aging workstation.

The build was super straight forward, the machine posts, bios shows all components active including all memory, GPU and CPU.
The issue is that pressing the power button, either on the front side, or on the mobo itself, produces a delay of about 3-4 minutes.
At first I thought it was dead, but suddenly it fired up and started running. However, power down and try to power up again, same delay.

Components are as follows: Red New.
CORSAIR HX Series HX1200
MSI PRO TRX40 PRO
EVGA CLC 280mm LIquid cooling

CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 8x16gb
AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3970X 32
Existing 2x2080TI - Solid State driver - 3 standard HD's.
Existing Cosmos II case.

The only thing I can think is that perhaps the PSU is faulty. I've reduced the machine down to motherboard and power, and keep getting the same problem.

Any advice; Anybody witnessed anything like this before, because google has not been helpful despite dozens of search terms.
Appreciate any help I can get!.

I heard about it happening first time, but that should be it.
post on those things takes ~40 sec
https://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph13189/nonuefiposttime.png
by only reference I see, its worth to try to disconnect the HDD's one of them might be close to dying.
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?115510-ASUS-Zenith-II-Extreme-TRX40-Post-Times
You hit the nail on the head.

So I rarely restart my computer (once a month maybe...) but tonight I decided to sit down and unplug everything. All USB devices, PCIe cards, harddrives, everything. What I discovered is that I have a BAD Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SATA III SSD (model MZ-7PD512BW) harddrive. I had been using it as a temp drive but about a year ago it stopped showing up in my list of drives. I had assumed the file system had gotten corrupted and since it was a temp drive, I just ignored it.

Well, as soon as I unplugged it my boot times changes drastically. I clocked the times before and after unplugging. Then ran the test again just to make sure I wasn't crazy.

With the SSD drive plugged in:
Time to get a POST screen: 120 seconds
Time to get a Windows loading screen: 45 seconds
Time to get to Windows login screen: 90 seconds
TOTAL: Almost 5 minutes from power pressed to login screen

With the SSD drive unplugged:
Time to get a POST screen: 19 seconds
Time to get a Windows loading screen: 7 seconds
Time to get to Windows login screen: 21 seconds
TOTAL: Under a minute from power pressed to login screen

Honestly, a broken HDD was the last thing I was expecting. I assumed it was a bad power supply, or video card issue, or just the motherboard going bad. But as soon as the harddrive was unplugged, the entire boot process became painless. Thanks BigJohnny!

InTheCity

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
I tested the power supply with my existing setup, with no issues.
Flashed the bios, after it took 12 minutes to boot up. And it shut down while refining settings.
Decided to RMA the board and try again on Wednesday.