First off here's my build
CPU- Ryzen 5 1400
GPU- XFX AMD RX 580 8gb
Mobo- MSI Tomahawk b350
Ram- Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (2x4gb) ddr4
PSU- BitFenix Whisper M 450W
Sandisk SSD and 1TB HDD

The problem:
Just built this machine and installed Ubuntu 16.04 on it and got my drivers installed. Everything runs fine under normal conditions, that is to say the temperatures stay around 30-40C and usage is normal. It is not until I load up certain games, in this case I attempted to test TF2 and Hollow Knight, that the system either restarts after a certain amount of time when gaming, which is the case with Hollow Knight, or (I think) the CPU shuts off when loading into a server in TF2. The only way of rebooting with the latter is to power off the power supply directly and switch it back on. I know my PC is plenty beefy to run these games perfectly fine so I don't understand why this is happening. Something that may be worth noting is that I can run Minecraft perfectly for any amount of time without resets happening, but that may be because it was downloaded though the Ubuntu Software application and not from a 3rd party application like Steam.

Quick backstory with this machine. I had Win10 installed prior and the restarting issue was much more pronounced. When this issue first occurred, it was when I was trying to install my drivers on Win10, and the system would just restart in the middle of instillation, so I wasn't able to do much. All it would take was a youtube video and the system would reset all on its own. I tried a couple of Windows specific solutions, like changing power settings and trying to disable shutdown on system failure to no avail. I then wiped my drives clean and put a Linux OS on my SSD assuming this was a Windows specific issue, It seemed so at first, because everything ran fine. I could load up youtube, run multiple programs, etc and the system kept running. As stated above, it was not until I tried running certain games that problems arose.

When I noticed this issue again, I made sure all my drivers were up to date, monitored my hardware status, and most recently updated my bios, and the problem still persists. In my research in finding a solution to my problem, I noticed a lot of posts calling this a power issue. This made me skeptical because my machine was estimated to need about 366W (via CoolerMaster's online tool) and I went with a 450W PSU which I thought was plenty for my system, with extra room to spare. So I have the question, is 450W enough to power my system efficiently or is this problem rooted somewhere else? If this is a power related issue, what are all of my options when it comes to fixing this?

Solution
PSU- BitFenix Whisper M 450W is probably a contributing issue. it uses a split rail design with each +12V rail able to provide 25A MAX.

The Radeon RX 580 is approximately 27A and a 500w PSU recommended if I remember correctly.

Lower price boards tend to have lower quality VRM''s. This may also contribute to power delivery /stability issues.

A quality power supply with a single +12V rail providing sufficient amperage would be recommended to test with.
PSU- BitFenix Whisper M 450W is probably a contributing issue. it uses a split rail design with each +12V rail able to provide 25A MAX.

The Radeon RX 580 is approximately 27A and a 500w PSU recommended if I remember correctly.

Lower price boards tend to have lower quality VRM''s. This may also contribute to power delivery /stability issues.

A quality power supply with a single +12V rail providing sufficient amperage would be recommended to test with.

Solution
Feb 28, 2018

Ah okay, I see what you mean. I took a closer look at my current power supply's available output vs my rx580's power requirement and saw that I was lacking. Do you reckon the EVGA Supernova G2 550W Modular psu would be a sufficient replacement? It covers the recommended wattage of 500w and is single railed capable of supplying 45.8A to the graphics card.

EVGA 550w is almost definitely good enough.

The big thing with PSUs is that you should pretty much assume that you are paying $1 per 10w.

If your PSU says 550w on the box and it costs $25, should should assume that you are "really" getting 250w, for example.

If your PSU says 550w on the box (and it's EVGA, or XFX, or some other Seasonic rebrand), and it costs $75 or something then it's probably really capable of doing closer to 750w before blowing out.

EVGA is typically premium only with no terrible models and it's just super high priced, so I think without even looking the Supernova 550w is good enough.

I would still suggest checking HardwareSecrets.com or JohnnyGuru.com PSU reviews before buying any PSU, even still. They do serious testing on this stuff and don't just give brands a pass because that brand has this other good model or because they get to ebay the PSU right after they review it.

Feb 28, 2018

Alright, awesome, thanks for letting me know. Looks like I'm getting the EVGA 550w then.

As Raidinn has indicted already, check reviews AND user reviews. User reviews are especially enlightening for lifespan and possible RMA issues. There were several bad user reviews I saw for the EVGA Supernova G2 550W that indicated short lifespan, but no idea what those people were running connected to the PSU. Every brand will have a bad PSU now and then. Lots and lots of positive reviews for it as well.

The thing to remember is that your PSU is the true heart of your system and effects everything else.

My personal recommendation would be a good seasonic, but may not be in budget.

Just to throw it out there, any given brand is going to have 1 fail per 100 or something in even the best case. If some maker sells 1 mil PSUs or something that will create 10,000 unhappy users with DOAs. All those people will probably flood the ratings systems with bad reviews. The other 99% of people will probably not be so enthusiastic about posting good reviews.

I trust HardwareSecrets and JohnnyGuru most of all because they actually disassemble stuff and look at the components and know what they are and how good they are and all that. They also test at different temperatures and test things that normal users can't.

I would at least glance at the user reviews as well, but I don't put too much focus on them.