Question New Build, Question about AIO mounting and Fan Orientation

Mikeysxe

Prominent
Nov 28, 2021
Info:
Specs: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/mikeysxe/saved/PJHh99
BIOS: Latest update / 0821

Problems: Freshly built and have questions about the mounting of my AIO and fan orientation.
Im using an NZXT Kraken Z63 and I currently have it mounted on the back panel, as shwon in the photo below, using the 2x140 fans as intake.

I also have 3x120 fans on the bottom as an intake and a 1x120 fan on the back as an exhaust. I’m wondering if this a good enough airflow setup as there really isn’t more room in the case for more fans.

rkHZoRJ.jpg

Mikeysxe

Prominent
Nov 28, 2021
Your AIO cooler fans are set to exhaust (through the rad).

Turn your pump outlets up so that air cannot get trapped inside.

Turn AIO fans to other side on intake, blowing through the rad.

Get some fans for the top to blow exhaust.
Are you saying to have the AIO fans mounted on the case with the rad in front? The opposite of what I have now? Then have the fans set to intake air through it?

Mikeysxe

Prominent
Nov 28, 2021
Before going to the trouble to fix things that might not need done, are you having some issue with it in this configuration?

Not really no, the build is a day old, so in the day since my 7900x idles around 40 and gets up to 70 or so, 80 being the max. There is a bit of whine from the pump, but that's it.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
It isn't unusual to be able to hear a pump, particularly if your ears are good. Keep watch on the temps as well as fan noise levels as you put this under load for sustained periods. In particular, you will want to see what graphics card temps do both alone and in conjunction with CPU load and see where temps level out.

If I might make another suggestion...this is an insanely nice looking system but you totally need to do some wire management and in particular, around that pump. One of the plusses and setbacks of having a glass panel case such at the Lian Li Dynamic is that people can see everything...

edit- looking closer at your picture, I cannot truly say for sure which way the back fan is blowing. The open side is draw, and the 'frame' side is exhaust.

Mikeysxe

Prominent
Nov 28, 2021
It isn't unusual to be able to hear a pump, particularly if your ears are good. Keep watch on the temps as well as fan noise levels as you put this under load for sustained periods. In particular, you will want to see what graphics card temps do both alone and in conjunction with CPU load and see where temps level out.

If I might make another suggestion...this is an insanely nice looking system but you totally need to do some wire management and in particular, around that pump. One of the plusses and setbacks of having a glass panel case such at the Lian Li Dynamic is that people can see everything...

edit- looking closer at your picture, I cannot truly say for sure which way the back fan is blowing. The open side is draw, and the 'frame' side is exhaust.

Oh I will be. I just wanted to make sure everything was in working order before cable managing. Though working with the Kraken is tough for cable management, first time using an AIO, not used to all the wires.

And I’m quite sure the back fan is exhausting, judging by feeling the air direction.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Oh I will be. I just wanted to make sure everything was in working order before cable managing. Though working with the Kraken is tough for cable management, first time using an AIO, not used to all the wires.

And I’m quite sure the back fan is exhausting, judging by feeling the air direction.

Use those heat sinks and such as cover for the wires. Obviously, there is only so much you can do, particularly with the USB connector, but orientation and strategic placement can help a lot. Another method I like using is less LED lighting. ;)

Mikeysxe

Prominent
Nov 28, 2021
Use those heat sinks and such as cover for the wires. Obviously, there is only so much you can do, particularly with the USB connector, but orientation and strategic placement can help a lot. Another method I like using is less LED lighting. ;)

Uhh now I think I might be having problems. CPU is reaching 90 just browsing the web and installing things in the background. The thermal paste was pre applied on the kraken so I assumed it was fine, not sure if that's my problem.