Question New build Ryzen 9 3900x not posting

sglowats

Reputable
Feb 15, 2017
I’m upgrading to a Ryzen 9 3900x with an ASUS ROG STRIX x570-E Gaming motherboard. When powering on for the first time, the fans are running at max speeds, and I receive a Q code 3E from the board, which according to the manual, it indicates Post PCH Memory Initialization is starting, but it doesn’t make any more progress. I’m using 32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3000 RAM in dual channel configuration, and I have the CPU attached to a Corsair 240mm AIO paired with an EVGA RTX 2080Ti.

This is the first rig I’ve built using the ROG line of ASUS motherboards, and any help in determining the problem would be appreciated. I’ve built 3 other systems and haven’t encountered this issue before. Thanks in advance.

reset the BIOS to defaults...your memory may be clocked higher than the 3900x likes or the boards memory voltage isn't providing enough juice for the 3900x memory controller...in either case resetting the BIOS to defaults should resolve it.

sglowats

Reputable
Feb 15, 2017
Have you tried each RAM stick individually?
I’ve tried installing two sticks
reset the BIOS to defaults...your memory may be clocked higher than the 3900x likes or the boards memory voltage isn't providing enough juice for the 3900x memory controller...in either case resetting the BIOS to defaults should resolve it.

I’m using RAM from another board with a DOCP profile to bring them to their rated speed. That shouldn’t have any impact on how it operates on another board, right?

sglowats

Reputable
Feb 15, 2017
1st You need to try each stick by itself to ensure they both actually work.

2nd I would try manual timings and voltage to ensure that the XMP profile is compatible. I’d try 1.4 volts for the RAM to start as 32 gigs may need extra voltage.
Thanks for the clarification. I’ve tried each RAM module individually and in single channel combinations, and I tried using RAM rated at 2133mhz from another board, but I can’t get it to post. It’s a brand new board, and I haven’t been able to get into the BIOS yet to make any adjustments to voltages or set an XMP profile. I’ve also cleared CMOS and haven’t had luck yet.

sglowats

Reputable
Feb 15, 2017
I’d RMA that board and get a new one. Quicker option if you have the money is buy a new one and return the old one as defective
I appreciate the quick response. I decided to try reseating the CPU, just to see if that had any impact, and now it works perfectly. Must have improperly installed it. Thanks for your help!