[SOLVED] New build starts up then shuts off again after a few seconds. PLEASE HELP

Saint Grimm

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2014
I'm trying to put together a pc for myself and one for my brother. We ordered 2 of every part and I spent the night trying to get them to run.

The build is:
Motherboard: Asrock Fatal1ty X470 gaming K4
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 Ti
PSU: Seasonic 750w 80+ gold
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3200 16gb (8gb x2)

PC part picker says everything is compatible, but the mobo MIGHT need a bios update for the cpu. I checked and the one I got does not, the box even says ryzen 3000 ready.

I fully built it, screwed everything in, etc etc. I fired it up, but the screen remained black. After a short time, maybe 30 seconds, the LED lights on the mobo fade out and it shuts down, then starts back up and repeats the process until I manually shut it down.

I found this post here on the forums. I tried what the answer suggested, removing everything except the CPU, PSU mobo plug and PSU CPU plugs. and plugged the HDMI into the motherboard. The result was the same. I knew my PSU came with a tester (which I stupidly didn't use) so I tried following the manual for testing the PSU; plugged it into wall, only mobo plugged into PSU, other end plugged into the tester, PSU started up and ran for over 5 mins straight with no issues.

So for a new angle, I got out my brother's mobo, cpu and psu. I plugged in the mobo and cpu plugs from the PSU, put the cpu on and plugged in the HDMI and 1 stick of memory. Same result on his too! Powers up for about 30 seconds, then LED's fade and it restarts.

So then I thought maybe the CPU doesn't support onboard graphics, so I went ahead and plugged the GPU and memory into his board, plugged the gpu into the psu, etc. Same thing.

I've been messing with this for over 7 hours straight... It's safe to say that NEITHER motherboard will stay powered up with only the RAM, CPU and PSU plugged in. I tried 2 different motherboards, 2 different cpus and 2 different psus with the exact same result (used same memory/gpu on both boards)... What do I do now? Is there anything else to try? What part(s) should I send back for replacement? I'm at a complete loss of what to do next...

EDIT: I'll try his memory and his GPU on his board tomorrow just to be safe, but I'm not very hopeful... There was no beeps to represent bad memory and I don't know why the GPU would make it restart, I'd think it'd stay a black screen if that was the issue (not to mention I attempted without GPU and got same result)

Last edited:
Solution
Some considerations:
-the CPU does not support indeed graphics so always test for video signal with GPU installed and monitor connected to GPU;
-for beeps you'd need an internal speaker (not regular audio speakers) connected to board.
Now, I'd say to check firstly if the board's BIOS does support the CPU. You can find it on a sticker on board. It looks like Px.xx.
Some considerations:
-the CPU does not support indeed graphics so always test for video signal with GPU installed and monitor connected to GPU;
-for beeps you'd need an internal speaker (not regular audio speakers) connected to board.
Now, I'd say to check firstly if the board's BIOS does support the CPU. You can find it on a sticker on board. It looks like Px.xx.

Solution

Saint Grimm

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2014
I found a small chip with a sticker that says P3.20, is that what I'm looking for?

EDIT: The asrock website says update P3.20 is for next gen ryzen CPUs.

EDIT2: Tried the other gpu and memory. Still doesn't work. Can the issue be caused by just memory? On the newegg page for the motherboard, people say the specific memory I'm using works, but elsewhere on the internet, such as reddit, there's a person that says he's never been able to get any brand of 8gb 3200 to work on this board.

EDIT3: Looked more into it and I'm not sure why, but on the asrock page where it lists what's needed for gen 3, it lists p3.20. But then on this specific boards page when u go to support, it says p3.30 added next gen support.... So I really dunno if the board is compatible or not.

EDIT4: I contacted Newegg, tried to tell me that 3.20 is correct, sent me a link for a completely different motherboard, I corrected them and sent the link to the K4, in return they offered store credit because it's nonrefundable... I asked why they could put "3000 ready" in the product name then refuse to give money back when it's not 3000 ready, and he finally offered a full refund. I also requested the bootkit loan from AMD. I'll see if they'll send it sooner than I need to return board, if not, at least I'll have it if they're lying about the next one too. Blows my mind that stores can claim whatever they want will work even it doesn't and not get reprimanded for it... As if I wasn't angry enough about spending so many hours and not getting anywhere with this thing. Didn't even get an apology for having wrong info on the product page.

Last edited:

Saint Grimm

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2014
P3.30 needed, so yes, most probably a BIOS issue.

Now I don't know what board to get... This board said its 3000 ready, even says it right on the box. So how do I know the Taichi Ultimate is actually compatible as it says? Or any other ones for that matter... Everything else has red LEDs and the Taichi has white, I'd prefer red but at this point I'd take anything that will JUST WORK

EDIT: I've made a new post for help looking for a different motherboard, so if you come across this, please don't answer here, answer HERE: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/what-motherboard-to-go-with-ryzen-5-3600.3543286/

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS