New Build, System cannot pass POST.

Ph3rox

Honorable
Nov 11, 2012
Good day lads.

I've recently gutted my rig and replaced most components after a PSU failure on my old rig. Parts are as follows...

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 3 rev 1
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 2x4GB at 2400mhz
CPU: i3 4150 with Hyper 212+
GPU: MSI 280x (not installed since failure to boot)
PSU: Corsair CX600

First off, I've gone ahead and checked everything I could possibly think of to get something out of this rig but I haven't gotten anywhere. I've swapped multiple ram modules into all the different slots. Breadboarding didn't get anywhere. I've checked everywhere else for short circuits and didn't come up with anything, I reseated the CPU under the cooler and that didn't get anything either.

After hitting the power button the CPU_FAN header powers the fan on the cooler and the PSU fan spins up, both at low RPM, the speed you might expect at idle. They will run indefinitely until the power is cut. They never change RPM or stutter/twitch when first spinning up. The monitor stays dead as a doornail even when manually set to scan for devices, its plugged into DVI.

I can't think of how to proceed though I refuse to hand it over to a local shop until I checked in with you guys to see if you could offer any advice. Thanks in advance for any tips.

Ph3rox

Honorable
Nov 11, 2012

Yussir. I've also replaced the CMOS battery and the system speaker to try and get beep codes. But I'm still at square one.

Ph3rox

Honorable
Nov 11, 2012

RAM slots are mostly fool-proof. I got the locking tabs to click into place on either end of the slot, so that's that. The manual said to put double module RAM in slot 1 and 2 which is the farthest slot from the cpu and the slot two over to the left of that respectively. I've tried with one card in and a few different combinations with another set of modules. No beep codes.

Ph3rox

Honorable
Nov 11, 2012
Replaced the PSU with a fresh one of the same model from a shop today. No changes. That means the problem is probably with the Mobo or the CPU. Can't say which one is causing trouble though.

I would check for a display issue first based on the fact that it's apparently running but you can't see anything ... if I am reading that right, you used to have a standalone card in there but have not used it in the new build. Try that and see if you get anywhere. You ought to have integrated graphics on that i3-4150, but if, for example, the motherboard still thinks the 280x is the primary display, then this could happen.

Alternatively, you could reset the BIOS by removing the CMOS battery for a few minutes - this will reset BIOS to factory settings, meaning it will default to onboard graphics - then try to boot up without the card.

If it was a CPU problem, you would think you would get an error beep code, so that seems less likely.

Was this the same motherboard from before the original crash, or a completely new one?

Ph3rox

Honorable
Nov 11, 2012

Thanks for the tip. Though I'd already cleared CMOS via the jumper and removing the battery. The motherboard was replaced after the first crash. Since I got another PSU, the only parts in from the original build are the case, CPU cooler and HDD. The other thing I realized is that the mobo has LED's on it that are supposed to light up for aesthetics, though they aren't indicators. I figured since the CPU_FAN header was working the mobo wasn't the issue. Although since the LED's aren't working, it seems the mobo may be a dud after all. I've sent a support ticket to Gigabyte to talk it over with them before I request a return through Amazon. Since it's now the weekend the return won't ship 'til Monday, might as well see what they know.