New Build: White/Black Scheme

IceSlipper

Reputable
Oct 17, 2015
Hi guys,

I'm looking at a new build as soon as I decide on the parts/get them together.

Firstly, I should say - budget is not really something I'm concerned about here. Having said that - I don't want to hugely overspend for minimal gains (money doesn't grow on trees after all). Realistically, anything close to top-end is likely to perform well above what is required for my usage, so the main things I'm after here are pleasing aesthetics and value for money (whilst remaining high-end and matching the general color scheme).

I already have the NZXT H440 (white) case laying around empty, achieving nothing, so I'm looking to put the case to good use. Due to this, the general color scheme I'm looking for is white/black.

I have dabbled into water cooling in the past - so not opposed to going down that route if you guys think it would look more pleasing in a windowed case.

I'd be interested in people's thoughts on the MSI Z170A Krait board, as I've heard some average reviews of MSI boards but it seems to have future-compatible features and the colors are similar to what I'm after.

The only other component I've put much thought into at this point is the CPU. I'm leaning towards the i5 6600K as it seems to be the best value for money? Happy to hear alternatives though.

So, if you guys could suggest some ideas that would match what I'm after it would be greatly appreciated. From actual components to smaller things such as alternative cables/cable covers, LEDs (looking to keep custom modding minimal here but not completely opposed to it)..

Rough idea - let me know if there are any compatibility issues (or glaring oversights):

Case: NZXT H440
CPU: i5 6600K
Board: MSI Z170A Krait
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB
Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD SATA MZ-7KE256BW
Storage: WD Black 2TB SATA 3.5"
PSU: I have a spare Antec NeoECO 620 - not sure if suitable though.
GPU: I have a number of spare old cards laying around. The best of which is probably a GTX 760. Looking to upgrade this to something that will hopefully both outperform the 760 as well as fit with the color scheme with minimal modding.

Approximate Purchase Date: ASAP

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming (mostly not overly graphics intensive games)

Are you buying a monitor: No

Do you need to buy OS: No

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Enjoyment/Boredom! Nothing wrong with my current set up but I enjoy building PC's and an upgrade is always handy!

Any input appreciated! Thanks :)