[SOLVED] New Build --- Windows install ?

May 8, 2022
I'm awaiting the arrival of a new motherboard, CPU and cooler in the next hour - I'm currently prepping a Windows Creation stick to reinstall Windows - however, how do I go about formatting the SSD that I'm currently using for Windows so that it's nice and fresh for the new install?

Solution
Thanks for your help. I had some idea on how it's done but I'd rather get advice just to back up my faded memory on how it's done - would rather get it completely spot on than mess something up!

OK; take a gander at Disk Management when you finish. You should see 3 or 4 partitions. All of them tiny except C.

You can split C into D, E, F, etc if you want, but why bother when you can just use a folder structure.
how do I go about formatting the SSD that I'm currently using for Windows so that it's nice and fresh for the new install?

You don't.

Make sure that SSD is the ONLY drive connected.

Boot from the installer.

Delete ALL partitions from the current SSD early in the installation process when you see that choice offered.

Then let the Windows installer do whatever it wants. That's its job.

Examine it later and modify if unhappy. You shouldn't be.

May 8, 2022
You don't.

Let the Windows installer do whatever it wants. That's its job.

Examine it later and modify if unhappy. You shouldn't be.

Ah right, so the installer should possibly wipe the drive it's installing to? It's been a LONG time since I've needed to do this so I'm a bit rusty

When you say boot from installer, am I safe to assume you mean select the USB it's loaded on as the boot option in the BIOS of the new board?

You could do that.....

But it's simpler to just select the USB stick from your boot menu, since it's just a one-time boot from the installer rather than a longer term change you might make in the BIOS.

Dunno how to bring up the menu on your board. It's probably an F key or Delete.

Reactions: IAmRooby
May 8, 2022
You could do that.....

But it's simpler to just select the USB stick from your boot menu, since it's just a one-time boot from the installer rather than a longer term change you might make in the BIOS.

Dunno how to bring up the menu on your board. It's probably an F key or Delete.

Thanks for your help. I had some idea on how it's done but I'd rather get advice just to back up my faded memory on how it's done - would rather get it completely spot on than mess something up!

OK; take a gander at Disk Management when you finish. You should see 3 or 4 partitions. All of them tiny except C.

You can split C into D, E, F, etc if you want, but why bother when you can just use a folder structure.

Reactions: IAmRooby
Solution