[SOLVED] New build with Asus z270i wont boot at all, BUT does have LEDs and orange light on motherboard on. Pls help

Fumarokuu

Prominent
Aug 17, 2019
Hi, I was helping my little brother build his new Pc. I bought the cpu and motherboard put together and am fairly certain they both work well.
They're both in great condition. No bent pins or anything like that.
We hooked everything up and only the motherboard lit up (rainbow leds which i guess it has on its own) and a small orange light.
No fan spun, nothing else made noise or would turn on.
I did the paperclip test on the PSU and it turned on fine.
I checked the cables that I did connect and made sure they were all in fine and in proper places.
I plugged and unplugged the tiny cables labeled HDD led, RESET SW and im fairly certain theyre in the right spot now.
I've changed the stick of ram to either slot, tested with and without the gpu installed.

The lights I mentioned before only turn on when I switch on the PSU, pressing the on button on the case does nothing. But connecting a keyboard to the case
makes the keyboard glow on as if the usb connection does in fact work on the case. So maybe the case does work?
It's been a couple days now and we're both frustrated and don't know what else to do.
Please any help will be appreciated.

Asus Z270i (micro atx)
i5 7600k
16gb (1 stick)
GTX 970
500w EVGA
and 2hhds and 2ssds

the case is Q300L Cooler Master

(behind the hdd led are the two pwr led + and -
behind reset sw is power sw)
(there is a cable disconnected on top of the empty ram slot, i removed it for a bit better visibility)
20201219_185408.jpg

20201219_182754.jpg

Ignore that red light, its part of the rainbow lights
20201219_191723.jpg

Solution
I think the orange light does mean standby and your motherboard is ready to start. Your motherboard manual should tell you.

Question your assumptions.
The front panel header is well documented, orient to the open pin.
The power pair(PWR,GND) is what you want to use.
A momentary touch with a flat blade screwdriver is all you need.

Ultimately, it is possible that your motherboard has a defect and needs to be returned.
While uncommon, it DOES happen.
An orange light may indicate a ram problem.
Make certain that the ram is fully inserted.
It takes quite a bit of force sometimes to do this.
you need to push down evenly.

To start the motherboard, it is possible that the front panel power button or lead is not functioning.
You can start the motherboard by shorting the two pwr+/- pins with a screwdriver.

Fumarokuu

Prominent
Aug 17, 2019

To start the motherboard, it is possible that the front panel power button or lead is not functioning.
You can start the motherboard by shorting the two pwr+/- pins with a screwdriver.
Hi, thanks so much for the reply, I did try the screwdriver method and nothing happened and did that for a while to make sure I got the right pins.
I also just checked the ram to make sure it was connected in all the way down. I'll try a different piece of ram in a bit and I'll let you know what happens.

Fumarokuu

Prominent
Aug 17, 2019

Sorry for the late reply, I also tried putting in different ram that I know is functional and that didnt solve the problem. I also tried a entirely new psu on it and that didn't work either.
My sibling is bummed we haven't been able to get it going so if you know any further advice or somewhere to point me I'd really appreciate it.

Fumarokuu

Prominent
Aug 17, 2019
The pins only need a momentary contact.
Is the psu power switch on? I have forgotten that on occasion.

The motherboard has a place for a 8 pin aux cpu connection.
You need at least 4 pin there to work.
I read online that the orange light on the motherboard just means standby, that possibly the large pin psu cable is plugged in and getting power, and is not a warning light.
I did make sure the psu is on because I can see LEDs turned on on the motherboard. The rainbow lights.
I'm not getting any of the warning lights such as red, white, or yellow which would indicate cpu, vga, and ram.
I can give the screwdriver trick another go I guess but I'm not confident it'll work.
I also tried connecting the little cables from an older case to see if maybe the new one was defective. That also didn't do anything.

I don't really know what else to do. Everything looks normal

Fumarokuu

Prominent
Aug 17, 2019
I read online that the orange light on the motherboard just means standby, that possibly the large pin psu cable is plugged in and getting power, and is not a warning light.
I did make sure the psu is on because I can see LEDs turned on on the motherboard. The rainbow lights.
I'm not getting any of the warning lights such as red, white, or yellow which would indicate cpu, vga, and ram.
I can give the screwdriver trick another go I guess but I'm not confident it'll work.
I also tried connecting the little cables from an older case to see if maybe the new one was defective. That also didn't do anything.

I don't really know what else to do. Everything looks normal
The cpu 8 pin cable is also properly in.

I think the orange light does mean standby and your motherboard is ready to start. Your motherboard manual should tell you.

Question your assumptions.
The front panel header is well documented, orient to the open pin.
The power pair(PWR,GND) is what you want to use.
A momentary touch with a flat blade screwdriver is all you need.

Ultimately, it is possible that your motherboard has a defect and needs to be returned.
While uncommon, it DOES happen.

Solution