Build Advice New build with some existing parts ?

Geoff Leven

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2013
So I want to put together a build with the fastest components available with what I can afford + using some existing parts

I want to use the following:

- DDR5 RAM 8200mhz (most likely going to be T-Force)
https://www.scorptec.com.au/product/memory/ddr5-desktop-memory/106805-ffxd548g8200hc38edc01

- Gigabyte Z790 AORUS MASTER X Motherboard
https://www.scorptec.com.au/product/motherboards/intel-socket-1700/106150-ga-z790-aorus-master-x

Corsair H170i RGB LCD Liquid CPU Cooler
https://www.scorptec.com.au/product/cooling/cpu-coolers/107554-cw-9061009-ww

- Case not yet choosen

Already have 13900k
Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090

So I have a few questions which I'm not sure about.

Firstly, will the RAM I'm wanting to get need some additional/alternative cooling to run at the XMP profile permanently? Or will it be fine as is?

Secondly, what sort of temps under full load on the CPU should I expect with a 420mm radiator cooler?

Any better suggestions to the above parts mentioned would be greatly appreciated. Idealy I would love to have a go at a fully water cooled system, but I fear I'll stuff it up some way or another.

Lastly, often I see under the specs section of mainbaords on various vendor sites, that the maximum RAM frequency supported will say for example: 8200mhz OC+. Does the '+' mean it has potential to go above whats listed in the specs? (but not advised I'm guessing).

Last edited:
Gaming ofcourse :D
Pair this cpu with a set of 2x16GB DDR5-6000 CL30.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-7-7800x3d-cpu-review

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: *AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor ($563.64 @ Amazon Australia)
Total: $563.64
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-07-08 22:28 AEST+1000

Last edited:

Geoff Leven

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2013
Pair this cpu with a set of 2x16GB DDR5-6000 CL30.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-7-7800x3d-cpu-review

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: *AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor ($563.64 @ Amazon Australia)
Total: $563.64
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-07-08 22:28 AEST+1000
Erm, no. That is worse then what I already have.

Ralston18

Titan
@Geoff Leven

No need to report posts that are not immediately to your liking.

Remember we require civility here and there is no for slights of any sort.

If you feel that a post is not responsive or off topic either just ignore that post or help the poster understand more about why any given post is "off-topic".

We are all volunteers and simply trying to help based on what we read and/or figure out.

So I have a few questions which I'm not sure about.

Firstly, will the RAM I'm wanting to get need some additional/alternative cooling to run at the XMP profile permanently? Or will it be fine as is?

Secondly, what sort of temps under full load on the CPU should I expect with a 420mm radiator cooler?

Any better suggestions to the above parts mentioned would be greatly appreciated. Idealy I would love to have a go at a fully water cooled system, but I fear I'll stuff it up some way or another.

Lastly, often I see under the specs section of mainbaords on various vendor sites, that the maximum RAM frequency supported will say for example: 8200mhz OC+. Does the '+' mean it has potential to go above whats listed in the specs? (but not advised I'm guessing).
Considering your name is Helper800, you're not helping my original questions.
Fair enough.

To your original questions:

1). Typically RAM this heavily tuned from factory will run hot and typically need some amount of airflow. They used to make little RAM fans that clip on to the slots like this. There is a huge caution you should take to heart when getting these more extreme RAM kits, and that is compatibility with the motherboard and silicon lottery. Each motherboard will have its own list of RAM deemed compatible for any specific motherboard. You can find this list on the manufacturer's page for their specific motherboards. For an extreme kit like this, I would not choose a kit that is not on these compatibility lists. In addition to that, these more extremely tuned kits are much harder to run for the memory controller inside of the CPU itself and if the memory controller cannot handle the RAM speed you will have all sorts of problems related to unstable RAM like Windows installation becoming corrupted, random crashing of applications, and BSODs.

2). You should expect a13900k to run anywhere between 50-100 degrees Celsius depending on the particular task you are doing. If gaming is all you are concerned about I would expect anywhere from idle temps-80c depending on how CPU intensive the game is. It will also heavily depend on the stock profile of the CPU in the BIOS related to power delivery. The more power the default profile pumps in, the higher th temps you should expect.

3). @Why_Me already suggested a different CPU because it is faster for the majority of games. You seem to think otherwise and so I linked you a review of the 7800x3d compared specifically with your 13900k as evidence. This is just advice and our professional opinions backed by experience and data, so take it or leave it

4). See number 1.

Geoff Leven

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2013
Its just frustrating I make a post to ask for an opinion on something specific, and with the way this day and age is the post gets it just gets either hijacked or sidebarred on something completely else - and all in the meantime nothing is actually discussed about the OP.

Ralston18

Titan
Re: "It's justr an all too common occurance".

Agree.

However, the majority of participants in this Forum work (voluntarily) to truly help others.

There is a great deal of "behind the scenes" efforts to prevent Tom's from degrading into the chaos that so many websites of any sort devolve into.

Remember (for everyone) that participating members (especially regular participants) come from a wide range of nationalities, languages , education, and experiences.

Do not jump to immediate conclusions. Be thoughtful about the proverbial "big picture".

Mistakes happen. Misunderstandings happen. Miscommunications happen, etc., etc.

Clean slate.

I would really like to see this thread go through some objective process that, at least, provides viable options with respect to the stated requirements.

Offer suggestions that can be supported but there is no need to debate the always present trade-offs.

Very sure that if given some honest and objective options (albeit different ones) that @Geoff Leven will be able to consider and make decisions with respect to the decisons that are necessary.

My immediate question: what is the budget for new parts?

Go.

Reactions: CountMike