[SOLVED] New build with Trident Z NEO

Yapsonark

Honorable
Apr 23, 2015
(Full build listed at bottom)

Hello!

I'm looking at Trident Z NEO for this build and had questions about how memory works.

So my options are from MemoryExpress at location Winnipeg.

https://www.memoryexpress.com/Category/Memory?Search=neo

All Dual Channel Ram Kits, 3600mhz paired with AMD Ryzen 3900x on a Gigabyte x570 MoBo
2x 8GB CL16
2x 16GB CL16
2x 32GB CL16
2x 32GB CL18
4x 32GB CL 16

I plan to overclock this system and would like to dabble with RGB for the first time. Corsair AIO Water Cooler

I want minimum of 32GB max 64GB (I tend to multitask a lot and have at times 100+ browser tabs opened)

For the sake of RGB (since these sticks have RGB) It would be cool to fill all 4 slots. But the options above are all Dual Channel Ram Kits and sell in 2's
Now I likely won't spend a grand getting the 128GB.

My question based on the info above is...
-Are there dangers or no no's to pairing kits together? I've been told if you want 4x sticks you should buy a 4x kit. I also have found it
difficult to grasp memory in the past and I know there is single/dual/quad channel ram. I believe its up to your motherboard to choose whats best.

-My AIO is Corsair so RGB means I should stick with Corsair. Can this ram be controlled by iCUE RGB stuff?

-Is buying two kits of 2x 8GB CL16 or 2x 16GB CL16 and plugging all 4 in have a negative effect? Would a single kit of 2x 32GB CL16 run better?

any information, corrections and recommendations is greatly appreciated!

I live an hour from Memory Express and plan to go either today or tomorrow to buy the Memory. I hope you guys can help me by then.
This is the last step I have before turning the system on

Thanks so much for reading my post and your help!

PCPartPicker Part List: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/ZtP827

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor (Purchased For $0.00)
CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT 63 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (Purchased For $0.00)
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 8 GB FTW Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Stryker (White) ATX Full Tower Case (Purchased For $0.00)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx White 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Monitor: Asus PG279Q ROG Swift 27.0" 2560x1440 165 Hz Monitor (Purchased For $0.00)
Total: $0.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-04 15:51 EDT-0400

Solution
Good questions.

The reason why it's recommended to get a QUAD Channel kit (basically any kit with 4 DIMMS) is because they are all verified and rated and tested together and have the same identical characteristics.

Memory makers use multiple makes and models of memory chips in the same brand of RAM, so your kit could come with either hynix, micro or Samsung and those brands have different models of memory chips so it gets to be quite a lot of models.

When you mix one dual channel kit with another, that is risky because A. It could be a different memory chip model which means they could not work together because sub-timings are different. Or B. It could work but you'll have to degrade performance a lot to get it to work.

It's all...
Good questions.

The reason why it's recommended to get a QUAD Channel kit (basically any kit with 4 DIMMS) is because they are all verified and rated and tested together and have the same identical characteristics.

Memory makers use multiple makes and models of memory chips in the same brand of RAM, so your kit could come with either hynix, micro or Samsung and those brands have different models of memory chips so it gets to be quite a lot of models.

When you mix one dual channel kit with another, that is risky because A. It could be a different memory chip model which means they could not work together because sub-timings are different. Or B. It could work but you'll have to degrade performance a lot to get it to work.

It's all quite risky, unless you know which memory chips you are getting.

Fortunately 3rd Gen Ryzen can run QUAD DIMMS ok, and you should be fine at 3600mhz. However I cannot guarantee that it'll work, but there's a high chance it'll work. With two sticks, that puts less stress on the memory controller so there's a slightly higher chance of 3600mhz working. FYI 3600mhz working on a 3900X is almost guaranteed. If it doesn't work, usually you can tweak some voltages and it'll be fine.

Reactions: Yapsonark
Solution
Reactions: Yapsonark