[SOLVED] New build won’t boot. Stuck in ‘Press F2 or Delete to enter bios’

scrippie10

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2012
Hi all,

Running into an issue with my latest build. The pc will turn on but won’t let me launch bios, basically loads up to a menu asking me to press F2 or Delete to launch the bios menu. I’ve pressed both F2, Del and all the F options but nothing happens. The menu just stays there.

I also noticed that my motherboard is giving me a Code 02: Detect HDD error. I’m using an M.2 memory, have tried using two new M.2s have also tried using an SSD but the error and issue persists.

I’ve also tried the following things:
  • Swapped Ram sticks
  • Used just one ram stick
  • Hard reset the motherboard
  • Unplugged everything except my keyboard and monitor
  • tried different USB ports
  • Removed the CPU to check for bent pins
  • Cleaned and replaced thermal paste from the CPU and AIO
  • Connected and SSD (As mentioned above)
  • Unplugged all the cables from the psu and plugged them back in
I’m at a loss. Any ideas on what the issue may be?

These are my specs
CPU: Ryzen 5900
Rtx 3090
Mobo: Asus Crosshair VIII Formula X570
Ram: Corsair 32 gb 4266 MHz
PSU: Corsair HX1200i
M.2: 970 Evo plus 2 tb and Adata sx8200 pro

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

Last edited:
Solution
I have not, followed the instructions, they seemed pretty straight forward.

I just swapped the cooler for a Wraith Spire that I had on my other pc and that didn’t change anything. Pc still won’t boot.
I am stumped as well. I suppose it is possible one of the power cables from your modular power supply is faulty.

Lutfij

Titan
Breadboard your above system with only one stick of ram in the slot labelled as the first, per your manual, then use only one of the M.2 SSD's(it's not memory per se) without occupying any SATA ports, with the discrete GPU onboard. Wait, how is it that you have a 3900 as your GPU? You sure it's not an RTX 3090? How old is your PSU?

scrippie10

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2012
Breadboard your above system with only one stick of ram in the slot labelled as the first, per your manual, then use only one of the M.2 SSD's(it's not memory per se) without occupying any SATA ports, with the discrete GPU onboard. Wait, how is it that you have a 3900 as your GPU? You sure it's not an RTX 3090? How old is your PSU?
Yes sorry, 3090. PSU is new. Everything is new.

Can you clarify what you mean by not occupying Sata ports? Do you mean I should unplug anything that’s connected to SATA. Also, do I disconnect from the PSU or just unplug the SATA connectors? Only thing I have plugged are my Corsair hubs (lightning node pro)

Whatever version came with the board. Thing is I can’t really move past the “Pres F2 for bios” screen. How would I load the latest version?
Your motherboard has a USB BIOS FlashBack Button on the Back I/O Ports.
h732

scrippie10

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2012
Update on this. Now the pc won’t turn on. The mobo lights will power on and so will my keyboard but the pc itself won’t budge. All I did last night was clear the cmo and leave the battery out.
I’ve unplugged everything and plugged it back in but it won’t budge.

Tested by PSU by following this guide: https://help.corsair.com/hc/en-us/articles/360025085372-How-to-Test-a-power-supply-unit
Fans didn’t spin but if I use the test fan feature in the PSU itself it works. Not sure if my PSU is fried or not

Last edited:
Update on this. Now the pc won’t turn on. The mobo lights will power on and so will my keyboard but the pc itself won’t budge. All I did last night was clear the cmo and leave the battery out.
I’ve unplugged everything and plugged it back in but it won’t budge.

Tested by PSU by following this guide: https://help.corsair.com/hc/en-us/articles/360025085372-How-to-Test-a-power-supply-unit
Fans didn’t spin but if I use the test fan feature in the PSU itself it works. Not sure if my PSU is fried or not
What do the 4 small Q LEDs (next to the 24pin power connector) show when you boot?
Page 1-10 of your motherboard manual show you have a Safe Boot button. Have you tried using it?

scrippie10

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2012
What do the 4 small Q LEDs (next to the 24pin power connector) show when you boot?
Page 1-10 of your motherboard manual show you have a Safe Boot button. Have you tried using it?

Nothing happens. I’ve removed everything and plugged it back it to no avail.

I’ve now removed/unplugged everything except the 24 pin, power to the mobo, and power to the AIO. But still nothing will turn on. Could it be the PSU even though it seems to work during the fan test?

i hear a click when I try to turn on the pc.

Nothing happens. I’ve removed everything and plugged it back it to no avail.

I’ve now removed/unplugged everything except the 24 pin, power to the mobo, and power to the AIO. But still nothing will turn on. Could it be the PSU even though it seems to work during the fan test?

i hear a click when I try to turn on the pc.
Have you removed the motherboard from the case? That click when you turn on the PC would be the power supply immediately shutting itself off to prevent damage to the motherboard. The Corsair HX1200i has features like over-voltage protection and short circuit protection built in.

*Over-voltage protection, under-voltage protection, and short circuit protection, over power protection, over temperature protection provide maximum safety to your critical system components.

scrippie10

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2012
Have you removed the motherboard from the case? That click when you turn on the PC would be the power supply immediately shutting itself off to prevent damage to the motherboard. The Corsair HX1200i has features like over-voltage protection and short circuit protection built in.

*Over-voltage protection, under-voltage protection, and short circuit protection, over power protection, over temperature protection provide maximum safety to your critical system components.

I didn’t no, I left it in there but can pull it out if needed. I seem to have gotten it to turn on though. Only thing different that I did was press and hold the clear cmos button for 5 seconds. Before I was clearing cmos by actually removing the battery, unplugging the system, holding the power button for 30 secs etc

View: https://imgur.com/gallery/NOdVjGZ

and it’s back to not turning on so I guess I’ll remove the mobo from the case now? Anything else I should try?

scrippie10

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2012
I still suspect the AIO cooler is causing the problem. Have you used one before? Did you read the installation instructions carefully? Do you have an extra air cooler to try as a test?
I have not, followed the instructions, they seemed pretty straight forward.

I just swapped the cooler for a Wraith Spire that I had on my other pc and that didn’t change anything. Pc still won’t boot.

scrippie10

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2012
I am stumped as well. I suppose it is possible one of the power cables from your modular power supply is faulty.
Appreciate all the help and advice, you’ve been great.

I’m going to play around with it some more tomorrow and if I still can’t figure it out I’ll end up taking it to a repair shop, see if they can figure it out. Good news is that I was able to purchase most of the parts from Amazon and they have an extended return period. Again thank you!

Reactions: rocktalkrock
Dec 13, 2020
Curious if you figured this out. I experienced basically the same issues and have decided to return the motherboard to Amazon for a refund and get a new one. Thanks.

scrippie10

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2012
Curious if you figured this out. I experienced basically the same issues and have decided to return the motherboard to Amazon for a refund and get a new one. Thanks.
Yup, I ended up taking it to a repair shop to see if they could diagnose it since I didn’t have any extra mobos or psu’s lying around to test stuff out. Turns out there was a short inside the PSU specifically with the 24 pin. I’ve since ordered a new psu, waiting on it to arrive.

Hope this helps!