Question New Build won’t POST with 2 RAM sticks inserted

Feb 2, 2023
Hello there,

so I recently just build myself my absolute dream pc. Unfortunately the build won’t POST with both RAM sticks inserted. I tried both slots 1&3 as well as 2&4 but so far each slot will only work when there is only one ram stick inserted.
I already checked and the RAM is definitely compatible with my motherboard.
Furthermore, I already tried activating both XMP1 as well as XMP2 with only one stick in and then shut down the pc and then Insert the second stick unfortunately with the same results. Is there any way to fix this? All the parts are brand new and build in carefully so I wouldn’t suspect physical damage or faulty parts to be the problem.

pc specs:

Asus Prime z790 a wifi d5
Intel Core I5 13600kf
TeamGroup TForce Vulcan ddr5 5600 mhz
Gigabyte 4080 Gaming OC
Bequiet! Straight power 11 850w

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

For the sake of relevance, can you please state the slots per your motherboard manual(or the inscription on the motherboard's PCB), they should be denoted as slots A and B with slots A2, B2 being one pair and slots A1 and B1 being another pair.

What BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard at this moment of time?

Feb 2, 2023
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

For the sake of relevance, can you please state the slots per your motherboard manual(or the inscription on the motherboard's PCB), they should be denoted as slots A and B with slots A2, B2 being one pair and slots A1 and B1 being another pair.

What BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard at this moment of time?
Thank you for the welcome :D

Yes indeed the slots are named A1, A2, B1&B2. I already tried putting both stick in a2 an b2 as well as a1 and b1. So far nothing worked. I currently am able to access the bios by using one stick (either one) in the a2 slot.

Concerning the bios I am using version 2.22.1286 currently. At least that’s the version number the bios is giving me on the bottoms when I am in the bios while it says BIOS Ver. 0602. not sure which one is the correct one.

Last edited:
Normally, you do not want to update a bios via windows and internet.
Should a failure occur during the process, recovery would be difficult.
It is best done by downloading the bios file to a usb stick and manually updating.

One thing to check is the cpu socket pins. If one is slightly bent out of position, ram issues are a common symptom.
Bent pins can happen if you did not drop the processor in cleanly and had to smoosh it around to get it seated.

Feb 2, 2023
Normally, you do not want to update a bios via windows and internet.
Should a failure occur during the process, recovery would be difficult.
It is best done by downloading the bios file to a usb stick and manually updating.

One thing to check is the cpu socket pins. If one is slightly bent out of position, ram issues are a common symptom.
Bent pins can happen if you did not drop the processor in cleanly and had to smoosh it around to get it seated.
Hey so I updated my bios but it didn’t help at all. The build still doesn’t post with 2 ram sticks built in.
I already double checked whether or not there are bent pins since I already read that in the forum but from what I can see they all look perfectly fine to me. Any other suggestions on what might be happening ? :(

Jan 25, 2023
Turn off PC and disconnect power

Reseat the memory making sure you use slot a2 and b2

Reset CMOS as per your motherboard instructions, sometimes there's a button on back, sometimes a jumper move is required.

Connect power, restart, go straight to UEFI (Bios)

The bios should be fully reset, but just incase load default settings, memory on Auto

Set to boot from USB if not set already.

Insert Windows Stick

Reboot

Install Windows

Download latest bios to mem stick

Reboot to Bios, Go to update Bios

Update Bios From Stick.

Try XMP

If it fails you have a deeper problem with getting the memory settings correct and may have to run on AUTO until the bios is updated again, that or manual settings.

If it does fail, repeat above except the windows install.