[SOLVED] New build won't boot windows

Mar 22, 2020
So aside from some rookie mistakes like getting an amd motherboard by accident, it seemed like things were going good.
I started building my first build yesterday. My first problem was no display which after enough reconnecting of the pieces in the motherboard got it to work.

Now I've been trying to get my MSI Z390 Mobo to boot windows and nothing is working.

My usb is getting power and is recognized as a device with the correct name, but theres no files inside of the usb. Ive been stuck here for the last 12 hours, does anyone know what I can do?

Heres what ive tried:
-Buying an external optical drive to see if the system will recognize something off the disk included with the Mobo
-maybe my mistake is in the creation of my bootable drive. I am making the drive on my mac. I formatted the stick to ExFat (fat32 can't support the 5gb windows file). I downloaded the iso file from windows website.
-i tried simply putting only the iso on the usb stick
-i tried extracting the iso and putting the files on the usb
-tried using front panel usb
-tried flash mode (sees usb but nothing inside)

Tldr; computer recognizes USB boot drive but doesn't see files when in flash mode or any other mode.

Build:
Msi z390 mobo
I7 9700f
Gtx 2060 super
2x8gb ram
700w bronze psu
Nxt h500i case
1tb crucial SSD

PLEASE HELP! Ive spent so long on this and because of the corona virus the amount of computer technicians I can find open are limited or charging ridiculous rates.

Ive been using toms hardware to solve my computer problems for years. Ive never posted before but I really can't find help anywhere else, im desparate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
So aside from some rookie mistakes like getting an amd motherboard by accident, it seemed like things were going good.
I started building my first build yesterday. My first problem was no display which after enough reconnecting of the pieces in the motherboard got it to work.

Now I've been trying to get my MSI Z390 Mobo to boot windows and nothing is working.

My usb is getting power and is recognized as a device with the correct name, but theres no files inside of the usb. Ive been stuck here for the last 12 hours, does anyone know what I can do?

Heres what ive tried:
-Buying an external optical drive to see if the system will recognize something off the disk included with the Mobo
-maybe my mistake is in the creation of my...
Hey mate, I could be wrong but it does seem to me that creating your Windows bootable drive on a Mac could be your problem. If I was you I would create your bootable drive on a PC if you have access to one. There's a great tool for this called Rufus which you can find here. I've used this to create various bootable drives, including Windows 10, and it works perfectly.

Good luck!

Norm

Heres what ive tried:
-maybe my mistake is in the creation of my bootable drive. I am making the drive on my mac. I formatted the stick to ExFat (fat32 can't support the 5gb windows file). I downloaded the iso file from windows website.
-i tried simply putting only the iso on the usb stick
-i tried extracting the iso and putting the files on the usb
-tried using front panel usb
-tried flash mode (sees usb but nothing inside)

Tldr; computer recognizes USB boot drive but doesn't see files when in flash mode or any other mode.

Build:
Msi z390 mobo
I7 9700f
Gtx 2060 super
2x8gb ram
700w bronze psu
Nxt h500i case
1tb crucial SSD

PLEASE HELP! Ive spent so long on this and because of the corona virus the amount of computer technicians I can find open are limited or charging ridiculous rates.

Ive been using toms hardware to solve my computer problems for years. Ive never posted before but I really can't find help anywhere else, im desparate.
You are doing it all wrong, that's why.
USB stick has to be formatted to Fat32. You can't just stick W10 ISO on it either. I don't know if Mac can mount it but has to be mounted and all files from it copied to USB. Only than you can boot from it. No need for Rufus or any other program like that.

Solution