[SOLVED] New build won't even POST ?

morpheus305

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2013
The psu, gpu, and ssd were in my previous build so they shouldn't be the issue but its possible. The mobo, cpu, and ram are the new parts. I'm getting basically nothing. Nothing on the screen. Keyboard and lights on the motherboard light up. Mouse lights dont light up but I don't think they light up usually till after POST. Tried removing the gfx card and going hdmi on the onboard motherboard video but still nothing. Is there any lights on the motherboard that will tell if the cpu or memory is an issue? I'm so lost as to what to do.

The parts in the new build
Asus Prime z490-a motherboard
I5-10600K cpu
Timetec ddr4 32gb(2x16gb) sticks
Gigabyte 2070 super
thermaltake dps g 750 psu
960evo m2

Solution
The first thing to do is ensure your Bios and chipset are up to date then use Memtest86 to eliminate the possibility of RAM errors.
You need to check that the RAM you choose is supported by both MB and CPU.

Is your RAM kit listed on the MB QVL? Timetec are not listed on the QVL so they are untested.
What is the frequency of the RAM your using? i5-10600K officially supports up to 2666MHz.
If you are choosing OC RAM then more than likely you will have to manually tune Bios for Primary Timings and Dram voltage.

There are 4 leds at the top right of your MB for trouble shooting. They are Boot, VGA, Dram and CPU. If any light up and stay lit during Post then you have an issue and Post will not continue till the error is fixed.
The first thing to do is ensure your Bios and chipset are up to date then use Memtest86 to eliminate the possibility of RAM errors.

Is your RAM kit listed on the MB QVL? Timetec are not listed on the QVL so they are untested.
What is the frequency of the RAM your using? i5-10600K officially supports up to 2666MHz.
If you are choosing OC RAM then more than likely you will have to manually tune Bios for Primary Timings and Dram voltage.

There are 4 leds at the top right of your MB for trouble shooting. They are Boot, VGA, Dram and CPU. If any light up and stay lit during Post then you have an issue and Post will not continue till the error is fixed.

Last edited:
Solution

morpheus305

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2013

The ram is Timetec 16gb ddr4 3600 CL18 1.35v 2Rx8 . I took a stick from my old pc which is older ddr4 and the pc booted up...kind of. It hung the first two times then made it into bios. I finally got into windows eventually on the old memory so i assumed it the was the new memory. Then i put the second stick of memory in and now it won't boot up again. The Q led lights on the motherboard have a yellow like for dram. Im starting to think the motherboard might have faulty ram slots which sucks cause its new. I have no idea what to do.

Like I said in my first post, " i5-10600K officially supports up to 2666MHz" and you are attempting to use OC RAM at 3600Mhz with little to no experience in Overclocking. There is a memory controller that is built into the CPU that has limitations and 3600Mhz is well beyond what the CPU supports. When Overclocks fail you need to access Bios to bring Bios back to default or you can clear CMOS.

Return what you have and choose a single kit of RAM at a frequency the CPU and MB support that are listed on the QVL.

morpheus305

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2013
Like I said in my first post, " i5-10600K officially supports up to 2666MHz" and you are attempting to use OC RAM at 3600Mhz with little to no experience in Overclocking. There is a memory controller that is built into the CPU that has limitations and 3600Mhz is well beyond what the CPU supports. When Overclocks fail you need to access Bios to bring Bios back to default or you can clear CMOS.

Return what you have and choose a single kit of RAM at a frequency the CPU and MB support that are listed on the QVL.

I believe that ram is default at 2400mhz and only goes up to 3600 if you enable it in bios. Here is what it saids
  • Please remember to activate the XMP setting in your BIOS in order to reach 3600MHz frequency. Otherwise, your system might run at 2400MHz default speed setting (Without XMP, RAM will run according to RAM’s base frequency. To reach advertised speeds, must enable XMP)

When I did get into bios using the older ram the xmp option was disabled by default

With a rated speed of 3600MHz, good luck with any XMP enabled if indeed you have an XMP profile.
There will be no guaranty you can reach the rated frequency as it's the IMC (Integrated Memory Controller) that will determine what frequency you will achieve.

You also pay a premium for OC RAM so why choose 3600Mhz if you can't use it and have to resort to lowering the frequency, loosening timings to get them to work.

I believe that ram is default at 2400mhz and only goes up to 3600 if you enable it in bios. Here is what it saids
  • Please remember to activate the XMP setting in your BIOS in order to reach 3600MHz frequency. Otherwise, your system might run at 2400MHz default speed setting (Without XMP, RAM will run according to RAM’s base frequency. To reach advertised speeds, must enable XMP)
When I did get into bios using the older ram the xmp option was disabled by default
This is very true, however you have a RAM problem with these Timetec DIMMS.
When you go to the QVL for your mobo
there is not a single Timetec RAM is this list. This is not exactly the most well known and regarded brand of RAM.
Just pick a kit from the published list. You have hundreds of possibilities

morpheus305

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2013
Just an update to the problem. I went to Bestbuy and bought some ddr4 memory and it seemed to work in both slots. It wasn't on the motherboards compatibility list but still worked. I guess the other memory i bought for this build is bad. I can't believe both sticks are bad but I'm still not 100 percent confident what is the root cause.

TRENDING THREADS