New build - Worth buying Sky Lake? (Is 1151 and DDR4 now an investment for later)

ZacB

Honorable
Apr 23, 2013
Hi there I'm building a new rig and as Sky Lake is in it's infancy I'm wondering if it would be worth upgrading. I'm looking to get an i7 processor... and I'm sure I'd be more than happy with the performance of the Haswell chips now.

My concern is that by investing in socket 1150 and DDR3 ram I'm kicking myself in 3 or 4 years when If I then want to buy a processor and would have to replace mobo and ram... instead of just processor (and possibly GPU)...

So, thoughts for first time new builders creating a rig from scratch? Is it worth biting the pricier bullet now and investing in Socket 1151 and DDR4 or hold off for now?

emeck

Reputable
Jun 20, 2015
If you are building from scratch Skylake would be a great choice, but not so much if your upgrading from something newer than Sandy Bridge. Sure the most expensive thing would probably be the DDR4 RAM, but those prices are dropping, and it will probably be better in the long run.

So if you are building from scratch and want it to last a long time, (probably worth a few more years than Haswell) then go right ahead and get Skylake.

I am personally waiting for Zen next year before i make my decision.

AdriansNetwork

Reputable
Jul 17, 2015
There is no doubt that the Skylake processor is better if you dont have a dedicated GPU due to the better on board graphics. Otherwise, I would see the better DDR4 ram support as the biggest upgrade together with slightly newer motherboard ports which arent that important IMO. If you dont need DDR4, then save a couple of bucks and get the older processors which are very good too.

ejma

Honorable
Sep 8, 2013
Yes. Since you are building from the scratch, skylake is the best option. Few years from now, you may not find replacement compatible with 1150 - you would end up building entire new rig = very costly.

TRENDING THREADS