meitou

Distinguished
May 2, 2011
Hi, I recently received a computer from my friend. It has 4 rams of ddr2 but I want to get ddr3 at a later time. Anyways, here is the problem. When i first turned on the computer, there was no display so I set it aside for a day, then read about replacing the psu and it suddenly turned on. I had previously replaced the harddrive as mine had about 100 gbs more than the one my friend had thus after turning on the computer, a screen pops up saying I had a bad CMOS sum. I hit the f2 key and continued forward. Then it prompted me to reactivate windows, which I skipped.

So here is my problem. What type of PSU should I get in order to run a gt 450. How should I deal with the bad CMOS problem. And finally, can I reuse my edition of Windows HP Media edition from my HP m7640n? The computer currently has Windows XP professional but I dont have the CD to reformat it.

SPECS:
Mother board:ASUS P5KC
PSU:300 watt from my m7640n
Ram:4 gb of ddr2. 2 gbs from my old computer and 2 gbs of kingston
CPU:I'm not 100% but I think its core 2 duo. When I run DxDiag it shows up as core (2) and the number of cpu is 2 running at 2.14Ghz

Thanks guys

You'll want at least a 500 watt power supply with that GPU.
perhaps the battery on the motherboard died. try replacing that, factory resetting the bios to see if it fixes your cmos problem.
Finally you will not be able to use your windows recovery cd from HP on another computer. If you dont have a windows license for that computer you can purchase one or I prefer using Linux instead. I recommend Ubuntu 12.04 or Fedora 17 for beginners.