Question New builder: Accidentally dropped a screw on motherboard

Dec 8, 2020
Hey guys,

I'm building my first PC with a Gigabyte Aorus B450 M. My case is very small, and I accidentally dropped a screw while installing my motherboard. I read a few posts that it's nothing to worry about as it's a minor scratch but I'm still a bit paranoid. Can someone please take a look and let me know if I have to worry about anything? Link to image

Thanks!

PS: Not a rickrolling link, I can't upload images to the post yet(?)

Its fine, noting to worry about. Ive jammed a flathead screwdriver into the board before trying to press on a PCI-e latch to release the gpu and it was fine.

Even"IF" you did anything to the board and "IF" that is a trace it looks to be a grounding trace so you will be fine. It looks like the solder point for the audio shielding cage might solder to it and if not then its just a blank are on the motherboard.

Dec 8, 2020
Its fine, noting to worry about. Ive jammed a flathead screwdriver into the board before trying to press on a PCI-e latch to release the gpu and it was fine.

Even"IF" you did anything to the board and "IF" that is a trace it looks to be a grounding trace so you will be fine. It looks like the solder point for the audio shielding cage might solder to it and if not then its just a blank are on the motherboard.

Oh, thanks for the info. It's nice to know that everything's intact.

Looks like nothing to me.

As a tip for a new builder:
Buy yourself a long #2 magnetic tip screwdriver.
It can hold screws to position them before screwing in.
It can pick up dropped screws.
To get a screw started, first turn counter clockwise untill you feel a slight click.
That puts the thread in a position to catch when you turn clockwise.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

I'm building my first PC with a Gigabyte Aorus B450 M. My case is very small, and I accidentally dropped a screw while installing my motherboard. I read a few posts that it's nothing to worry about as it's a minor scratch but I'm still a bit paranoid. Can someone please take a look and let me know if I have to worry about anything? Link to image

Thanks!

PS: Not a rickrolling link, I can't upload images to the post yet(?)

It's the red circle, right?

it's an empty area, there is nothing you can damage.