Question New built PC has massive lags with soundloop and frame freeze while gaming, browsing and on desktop.

Apr 19, 2019
Hello folks,
I'm facing a problem I cannot solve by my own:

The Problem:
I built my PC by my own a few weeks back and find myself struggling at some point:
From time to time, it's say once an hour, I will face a massive "lag" with sound loop or weird bumping noises and frozen frame for about 5 seconds. First, I thought it might be the game (PUBG) that is known not to perform too well. Yesterday I had the same problem creating a new folder on my desktop. It occures while watching YouTube videos as well. At the very start of the lag I hear a noise in my tower that remembers me of the noise the PC makes if it comes out of standby.
For a few days now, the lag changed slightly: In PUBG the screen turns black or I get fine frames and sounds but are unable to do anything. A little warning "network problems" pop up right after the lag. Since the lags occur on dekstop/YT as well, I doubt it to be my Network.
The "booting" noise I hear might be the SSD but I'm not sure about that. PUBG and Steam are installed on a different SSD as Windows is. Since I face the problem while gaming and on desktop (even while I write this) I doubt it to be the SSD.
I had no problems in other games (League of Legends, Far Cry 5, Wolfenstein the new Order, F1 2017) I played recently.
The problem started a while back but the system worked a few days without any issue.

What I did so far:
I did reinstall the graphic drivers (GeForce Game Ready Driver v425.31) as well as PUBG. In addition, I kept monitoring the temperature of GPU and CPU. Nothing to see there. CPU between 50-60°C and GPU never hits 70°C. The problem occured under older graphic drivers as well.

My Setup:
MSI RTX 2070 Gaming Z, Intel I5 9600K, Mainboard: Asrock B360 Pro4, PSU: Corsair TX550M (550W), 16GB G.Skill Ripjaw V DDR4 @2666 MHz, Thermaltake Riing Silent 12RGB sync edition, M.2 SSD (256GB), Samsung Evo 860 (1TB). I use HP 27xq with 2560x1440 and 144 Hz. The Monitor has AMD Free Sync which is set off.

I heard it might be the PCU, but all calculators I used before building the system stated, that 550W would be a safe call even if I OC. I think about OC, but I didn't do anything so far.
Some stated that the CPU might be the problem if it hits 100% workload. That is almost the case if I push settings in Far Cry 5, no problems yet.
I did not set new speccs for the DDR in BIOS which could be a good thing as some setups tend to run the DDR at lower MHz as it is supposed to. Nor did I change the timings.

Any suggestions? Did I miss something, can I check something?
Many thanks in advance!

Apr 21, 2019
Hi, I think your problem might be your PSU. Seeing that you have RTX 2070 GPU and only 550W PSU it is most likely that your PSU just isn't giving enough power to your hardware. Your GPU requires a lot more power and seeing that you have quite high-end gear anyways, I recommend a PSU of 750W ->

Apr 19, 2019
Hi, I think your problem might be your PSU. Seeing that you have RTX 2070 GPU and only 550W PSU it is most likely that your PSU just isn't giving enough power to your hardware. Your GPU requires a lot more power and seeing that you have quite high-end gear anyways, I recommend a PSU of 750W ->

Thanks for the answer. I did think about that too. However, planing the setup I used 4-5 different calculators to determine how much power I need. Asked if I want to OC I said yes. Not one of this calculators where above 500W.
On the other hand I could imagine that the PSU could be the reason if I have intense usage of GPU and CPU while gaming. Since I have the lags while doing simple desktop tasks as well, I can't think of a reason why the system would need that much power at that time.

That leaves me with the question, if those calculators are accurate and if there is a software or any simple way to determine the actual PSU usage?