New Carrier-Based Authentication System Seeks To Replace SMS 2FA

Status
Not open for further replies.
And what happens when someone walk's into your local Verizon store, claims to be you and uses social engineering to get a new SIM card issued in your name to their phone? Its not like that hasn't happened before.

Druidsmark

Commendable
Aug 22, 2016
Main reason I don't use sms is I have a pay as you go phone. This means I pay for every minute I talk on the phone as well as I pay for every text message I receive and send. So unless the mobile phone carriers here in canada want to start making it free for me to receive sms messages are will continue to avoid this service as much as possible. As this news article points out this is added layer of security is vulnerable to hacking as well so I see no reason to use a service that costs me money every time I use it.

I use my phone primarily as door buzzer and spend less then $100 a year for the phone.

bollwerk

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007
Note that this article is only about SMS 2FA. Other forms of 2FA are perhaps more secure? i.e. Google Authenticator, Duo, etc...

alextheblue

Distinguished

I use smoke signals, but some days the range is really limiting. I demand the carriers offer me free carrier pigeons for 2FA purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS