[SOLVED] New case or additional fans on older case ?

Chris 2224

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2016
I have an old generic prebuilt case, with all components upgraded except the case, and I want to improve the system's airflow. Right now, I have no additional case coolers.
Because of the case model, there is no way to mount front coolers, only side panel and one on the back.

Since my pc is under the desk, I'm not looking to get a case with tempered glass or rgb's but I could at least get a more modern one, so I need an opinion.
Should I stick to the old case and get intake and outtake fans, or save money for a better case?

I couldn't find the exact model but it's pretty much the same as this, except mine has a dust filter on the front (no mounts for coolers) and I can fit 2 coolers on the side panel (120mm):
https://www.pc-cabinet.com/sale-13395874-home-and-office-use-0-4mm-spcc-matx-oem-pc-case.html

I'm in no rush since my temperatures under load are stable, but they could be improved so why not :)

Solution
I want to improve the system's airflow.

there is no way to mount front coolers, only side panel and one on the back.

my temperatures under load are stable, but they could be improved so why not :)

I assume budget is a factor. Maybe 10 to 30 for 2 decent to good fans versus maybe 75 on up for a case.

How far off is a significant rebuild? I wouldn't want to go very far with no front fan.

Your load temps are OK. Given that, I'd lean toward doing nothing if doing nothing meant you could buy a new case sooner rather than later.

Exception might be that you intend to do something that will increase loads/temps or if you just can't restrain yourself from buying something...something cheaper than a new case.

Quite possible any...
I want to improve the system's airflow.

there is no way to mount front coolers, only side panel and one on the back.

my temperatures under load are stable, but they could be improved so why not :)

I assume budget is a factor. Maybe 10 to 30 for 2 decent to good fans versus maybe 75 on up for a case.

How far off is a significant rebuild? I wouldn't want to go very far with no front fan.

Your load temps are OK. Given that, I'd lean toward doing nothing if doing nothing meant you could buy a new case sooner rather than later.

Exception might be that you intend to do something that will increase loads/temps or if you just can't restrain yourself from buying something...something cheaper than a new case.

Quite possible any plausible case would include tolerable fans in front and back.

Reactions: Why_Me
Solution

Chris 2224

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2016

Quite possible any plausible case would include tolerable fans in front and back.
I can get a new case in December, which might be a better solution. I saw that some cases already have fans built in them. Are they decent?

I can get a new case in December, which might be a better solution. I saw that some cases already have fans built in them. Are they decent?

They can be. Depends on the case. Unlikely they would be worse than your current situation.

Doesn't sound like you need a whole lot of cooling hardware.

Standard setup might be 2 fans in front and 1 in back. Most cases don't have one on the side. Some have one at the top.

A case might have 4 or 5 places to put a fan, but that wouldn't mean you need to use 4 or 5 fans. Experiment. 2 or 3 might be plenty.

Chris 2224

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2016
They can be. Depends on the case. Unlikely they would be worse than your current situation.

Doesn't sound like you need a whole lot of cooling hardware.

Standard setup might be 2 fans in front and 1 in back. Most cases don't have one on the side. Some have one at the top.

A case might have 4 or 5 places to put a fan, but that wouldn't mean you need to use 4 or 5 fans. Experiment. 2 or 3 might be plenty.
As im thinking now, any type of cooling isnt urgent, and my pc looks neglected, so new case it is. Thanks for taking your time to write to me :)

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Your case does have air flow. Just not in the way most think of it. It's what's called a negative pressure system, where air is exhausted out, but intake is created by the low pressure that results.

The psu is your exhaust fan.

Adding fans could actually be counter-productive as the intake fan would equalize the pressure and actual airflow would about stop. The heat coming from the cpu cooler would see a little flow up into the psu, but mostly get blown around by the side intake.

The only way to get better airflow would be to put 1 fan on the lower side and one fan at the rear as intakes, and create a positive pressure system, or put a single fan at the rear as exhaust and tape off the side holes, creating a stronger low pressure inside and forcing air to be pulled in mostly from the front across the drives.