New Case

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

AMW1011

Distinguished

Sadly the PC-A77 could be found for about $200 before it was discontinued, so it wasn't that pricey.

Nothing wrong with the case, its pretty good. If the case meets your needs then you will be very happy, CM makes great cases, though their quality isn't quite as exceptional since the Stacker days.

The point of the rear fan is to draw air to the CPU cooler, which the top fans won't do nearly as well, so I REALLY don't recommend getting rid of it.

blitzace

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2010

That sounds great in theory ares! I don't have the guts to try anything like that on my first build, but if you want to give it a shot go for it. If AMW says no though then heed his advice ;)

I love how both ares and I have gone from "moar fans nooow!" to understanding that more isn't necessarily better haha. The old ares would have never turned a fan off! haha

blitzace

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2010

Boo! Can't believe it used to be that cheap >< Darn my youth and not being around for the good old days.

Woo-hoo! All I wanted was your approval AMW lol and I kind of got it there, I think :p What did you mean by Stacker Days? Hopefully the quality is still good, no lian-li of course but acceptable is all I need.

ares1214

Splendid
The Stacker 830 Evolution, now that was a good looking amazing case, still is! and AMW, dont worry, im pretty sure the rear fan will help, i just want to try the fans in every way see the differences, learn how the air is moving. hahaha, and the old ares would have bought the 8x 180mm case :lol: maybe, but still, thats got to be some crazy cooling, good or bad.

blitzace

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2010
lololol good one ares ;) that Stacker 830 Evolution looks awesome btw. Don't ask me why but kind of reminds me of an alienware.

Yea I doubt experimenting could hurt, be sure to let me know how it goes! You have me picturing you as this mad scientist swapping out fans of all shapes and colors looking for the perfect setup lol

Speaking of fans, what would you recommend buying to complete the fans on the sniper? I'm also curious to know what you bought in terms of red LED's. If its cheap enough I'd consider buying a second set and swapping em whenever I got bored of the colors lol only if its cheap enough that is... I'm not made out of money :non:

ares1214

Splendid
ha, well looking at pictures of the case, it looks like theres a perfect space for a 200 mm at the bottom (maybe). so what i was thinking is getting 3 120mm fans (maybe gentle typhoon or the enermax) at having 2 top exhaust and 1 rear exhaust. Thats what i have the best hope for, but of course, ill switch everything around and check on the temps. I might even paint the enermax fans blue, anybody have good paint for fans? or will that screw them up?

blitzace

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2010
Yea the bottom intake is a 120mm I believe, if it doesn't do anything temp wise I'd still love it for the fact it could give a blue glow coming out from the bottom of the case >:D

Still have a lot of different combos to try since the both the top and side fans can either be 1x 200mm or 2x 120mm fans doh! I'd love to know which combo was best before buying a ton of fans I may not end up using.

and blue fan paint?! I didn't even know they made such a thing xD Would it make a difference with the fans moving so fast not to mention an LED already putting out light lol methinks that'd be approaching smurf levels of blue :ouch:

ares1214

Splendid
hahaha, im not sure about the enermax being affected by paint as far as performance, maybe a few rpm at worse (right?) and they dont have leds. i just dont want to put bright red fans in a all blue case with a MSI royal blue mobo :lol: i could deal with it though, just a thought for better cohesion.

blitzace

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2010
haha doh didn't realize they were red by default xD I thought you were trying to paint a black fan blue on top of a blue LED, figured that was a bit overkill and wouldn't be noticed at full spin lol

yea that would definitely take away from the aesthetics of the case lol hrmm yea no clue :p

Crazy idea though, we should change the names of our cases from Sniper to Smurfette. Then you can refer to your PC as a 'she' and it would be totally justified xD

ares1214

Splendid
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: good idea! although, check this picture from cooler master:

3.jpg

in this perspective, doesnt that 200mm fan at the top seem the same size as the vent on the bottom? it looks like a 200mm could fit nicely there, although i may be wrong.

AMW1011

Distinguished

Yeah I loved the Stacker 810 and 830 cases.

ares1214

Splendid
same here, i was sold on those. however i checked coolermaster and it says a 140mm can be placed on the bottom. im probably too cheap to buy the notcuas, but this has an interesting design:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835427007

opinions? and then ill put either 2 GT fans on top, or 2 painted (is this safe and possible?) enermax fans on top. Then ill have 1 200mm sitting around, i guess incase 1 breaks. Then i dont know what to get as a rear fan. Maybe ill just leave it stock until i replace my cooler.

blitzace

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2010
It does doesn't it? Hrmm my only concern is that the space where the PSU goes may cause it to appear like it has a lot more room then it actually does. Newegg doesn't say anything about it on their product page. Hrmm...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdXog4d2eqs

That's one of the reviews I think you linked me to earlier in another thread or this one I forget lol (this thing is crazy long now)

But if you look at 4:50 in the video, there's a nice view of it and he mentions it can hold the optional 120mm fan.

Also,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEzAGW-T-Zg

@ 2:25 he mentions its 120 mm as well so I think its safe to say the 200mm is either staying up top or getting moved to the side for anyones build heh

I think I may try moving the 200mm to the side panel and buying 3x 120mm fans, 1 for the bottom and 2 for the top. Might be a little noisy as AMW said but hopefully its not too bad and will provide the best airflow.

blitzace

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2010

Side fan silly! Although... *chants to self, more fans isn't better, more fans isn't better* 140mm though? interesting...

Stacker lol what an awesome name for a case btw I can just imagine someone stacking Stackers at some point in time haha

ares1214

Splendid
btw, in that video its the Storm Sniper, the one both of us are talking about is the storm sniper black edition, so it might change. but yeah, im thinking 2 120mm top fans, 1 140/120mm bottom fan, and leaving the rest at stock. Although, one might be able to remove the drive bays, and either put a second fan, put a bigger fan, or just have better airflow for the front fan.

ares1214

Splendid
well, more fans isnt better, but in a lot of cases 2 smaller fans gets more airflow, and makes more noise than 1 bigger fan. So it important to balance it. I think ill only get rid of the top 200mm fan, leave the other 2, thats a nice balance.

blitzace

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2010
That sounds like a really great idea ;) I think I'll try out a similar build. Plus since We'll have an extra 200mm fan lying around, it won't hurt to try it with and without the side fan just to see temps.

Didn't realize those videos were of the regular edition, sorry about that.

So the black edition has more changed then just the interior being painted black? doh lol not sure the exact differences but yea definitely gotta go with the BE

blitzace

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2010

AMW1011

Distinguished

That is just a gimmick, stick to these for 140mm:
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=36_316_845&zenid=eafa8433bc94d01878ff621e95e14595

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=36_316_848&zenid=eafa8433bc94d01878ff621e95e14595

blitzace

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2010
Beats me >< yea the scythe fans look to be the best from what I've heard. But none available in blue LED :(

Not sure which of the Yate Loon's to get if I get one (low medium or high, all the same price).

btw, you can pick any color for your fan ares? lol that site is awesome

blitzace

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2010
anyways, I need to get some sleep. I'll check back from time to time for sure, finals coming up though so may be a bit busy next week or so ><

I wanted to say thanks again to both of you for all the advice / info though! Was a great discussion and I look forward to many more :) Take care!

ares1214

Splendid
hey everybody im back, and now im confused again. so i was browsing that site you linked, their cooling supplies>>>>newegg pretty severely. anyway, i found these interesting fans:

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=28136

and if you watch the video below, you see it focuses the airflow really well, and is meant as an intake fan. would these be good on the side? would these be good on all the intakes? because of this, i was thinking of swtiching back to the CM 692. The sniper is amazing, however it doesnt really make sense to take off half the fans, and therefore waste 40$. So would 2 of these on the side be good? would all of the intakes be good for this? are these good, or does the direction if the air not really matter? btw, i saw a quick review, and they are suppost to be EXTREMELY quiet. also, i doubt it, but are there any fans more targeted for exhaust? do you want higher cfm for the exhaust (i assume not, to keep the same amounts of air going in and out)?