News New Chrome Version Will Support Nvidia 4K Upscaling

PlaneInTheSky

Commendable
BANNED
Oct 3, 2022
In brief, it takes in video at resolutions between 360p and 1440p (inclusive) and uses AI derived from deep learning and neural networks to upscale the video up to 4K

Oh man, lemme go buy a $1,000 GPU so I can upscale that 360p cat video on Youtube from 1994.

Nice way to drain your battery on laptops too.

This just screams desperation. Cut your GPU prices in half if you want people to buy them.

Last edited:

PlaneInTheSky

Commendable
BANNED
Oct 3, 2022
rspu-YBr-Yw-Puo-Ln-Rg-Fp-Bc-Ue-1920-80-jpg.webp

Sure...this image is not faked at all...

dtryeryrtyryryryry.jpg

Feb 6, 2023
Oh man, lemme go buy a $1,000 GPU so I can upscale that 360p cat video on Youtube from 1994.

This just screams desperation. Cut your GPU prices in half if you want people to buy them.

For someone who watches a lot of Youtube and Twitch on their 4K monitor this is pretty great to be honest. 1080p on a 4K screen results in a noticeably pixelated video.

Most videos on Youtube are in 1080p and max streaming resolution on Twitch is also 1080p.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I hope they (eventually?) include frame interpolation, as well. They've given some impressive demos of that, in years past.

I have lots of DVDs and blu-ray discs. If it can be used for playback of those, or other types of video files, then its value is substantial.

Also, they didn't say exactly which models would be supported, did they? What if it works even with a RTX 3050?

Over the years, I've spent money on GPU upgrades and various hardware solutions to improve video deinterlacing and scaling. I would definitely consider buying a new Nvidia GPU for this, depending on how well it works and its overall capabilities.

russell_john

Honorable
Mar 25, 2018
For someone who watches a lot of Youtube and Twitch on their 4K monitor this is pretty great to be honest. 1080p on a 4K screen results in a noticeably pixelated video.

Most videos on Youtube are in 1080p and max streaming resolution on Twitch is also 1080p.

I have the same problem with 1080p video at 1440p .... It's especially annoying coming from game developers who brag about their 4K graphics in their new game and then release only 1080p video of gameplay so the game in the video looks like crapola at 1440p and almost unwatchable at 4K

Reactions: bit_user

WINTERLORD

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
Very curious, I watch sling TV will this upscale my 1080p sling streaming content to 4k if I connect my TV to the computer for watching sling with a firestick or somthing for remote? Anyone have know anything bout that thoughts?

Last edited:

Tell me how you really feel.

RTX 2000 series support will come later.

Nobody is going to go out and buy a new GPU for this feature, but people who already have Nvidia GPU from the last three generations are pleased to hear that features like these are becoming available.

And if you must, feel free to buy a $300 RTX 3050 if you want access to this feature; no $1000 GPU required.

Reactions: dipique

JeffreyP55

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2015
RTX Video Super Resolution is ready in the stable Chrome 110 release, and Nvidia should launch an enabling driver shortly. This upscaling lower-res video to 4K tech is also going to be available via Microsoft Edge.

New Chrome Version Will Support Nvidia 4K Upscaling : Read more
You can have it. I'm not using Chrome or MS Edge. I must love uninstalling edge every time MS updates reinstall it. Wack-A-Mole! I can tell when Edge has been reinstalled. The tracker count increases. Don't need that garbage.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2023

The minimum is a 3050, which goes for less than 300 on newegg, plus it's optional

ThijsL202

Commendable
Sep 21, 2021

Why do you have to be so negative?
Most modern laptops come with a RTX card
RTX 20s will be supported too.
The RTX 3060 costs literally 300–500 bucks. Are you concerned about a 'battery' drain or being unable to pay your bills?
Just turn the upscaling feature off!

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Nobody is going to go out and buy a new GPU for this feature,
I already said it's probably going to influence my next upgrade of my media streaming PC that's connected to my TV. However, I'll need to dig into the details and make sure it works with the majority of my content that needs upscaling.

Since I don't game on that PC, I'd be buying the GPU 100% for better upscaling (and hopefully motion interpolation, too). The PC I currently use for media streaming has no dGPU.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Why do you have to be so negative?
Haters gonna hate.

Most modern laptops come with a RTX card
Gaming or "workstation"-class often do, but the lower-end laptops and the ultra-thin don't.

No matter how efficient a dGPU is, it always adds bulk, weight, cost, and power-consumption.

Just turn the upscaling feature off!
Exactly. Or, if playing native 4k content, then it probably will remain idle.

Reactions: RedBear87