New Commuy Manager

justinblue

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
Hello all,

I'd like to introduce everyone to Joseph Pishgar, our new Community Manager. His main responsibility will be to do everything within in his power to make sure the Tom's communities remain a top-notch resource for information on the Internet. As such, he will be a primary moderator/administrator of the forum. He also will be coming up with ideas and methods to get the community more involved with the rest of the Tom's editorial content and looking into how we might integrate modern system such as facebook and twitter into the Tom's community.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. He will be watching this thread!

Thanks,
Justin Weber

Hi Joseph. Welcome. I would like to see a feature which allows a one click solution (Radial Button=New Post For Entire Forum) with the ability to display ALL the New post (posts I have not read) available to me (pesonally) on ALL the message boards the forum houses with that one click. The way it used to be during the precdeeding three and half years prior to the current situation.

jpishgar

Splendid
Overlord Emeritus
Actually, due to some permissions issues, it has changed to jpishgar. :)

Hi there guys! I'm your new Community Manager! Thanks for all the suggestions above - I'll be making recommendations for forum upgrades on a continuing basis to ensure the community infrastructure is strong enough to support the growth we'd like to see.

If there is ever anything you need, don't hesitate to contact me and I'll do my level best to see that your voice is heard.

-jpishgar

jpishgar

Splendid
Overlord Emeritus
Going great, thanks! I prefer to keep personal politics and professionalism separate though, but I do appreciate you asking. :)

I noticed in another thread that you mentioned you had an interest in community as a discipline. I'd be very interested to hear your take on the strengths and weaknesses of the Tom's Hardware community at large. Do you Skype?

TheViper

Distinguished
Yeah, I'm the other guy they were debating for the position ;) Maybe 2010 will be a good year for you and you'll win both your races.

I do have a few suggestions/observations.

1. Reunite the site staff with the forums. They seem to operate as wholly separate entities. It prevents a cohesion that should be a natural part of any network.

2. I know you're just on board for the US site but do what you can to help get the UK board in order or campaign to have it removed completely and merged into the US board (one board for English language).

3. Incentivize the Badges. Work with our ad partners to provide a small product relevant to the badge (silver and up). This will promote an interest from knowledgeable members to help everyone and our ad partners get to advertise their products even further.

4. Fix the points tracker. Sure it's superficial but the veteran members did get shafted pretty bad. I think it's only fair they be given proper dues.

5. Speaking of vets. They aren't too happy with the newbie techno-ignorant invasion. They'd like to see a better balance of in depth technical discussion and "My computer doesn't turn on, should I plug it in?"

6. When you click Online Users at the bottom of the index page, the profile box overlaps the "Hide Right Column" link.

7. No member index?

8. No forum leaders page?

9. Bring back the IP ban.

10. On Tom's Guides, let them know the Forum Map is blank and the badges aren't accurate.

jpishgar

Splendid
Overlord Emeritus
;) One can hope!

1. This is definitely one of my goals. While I do plan to be the point person for the most part, the guy the community can go to and say, "Hey! Fix this!" or "We want such and such", getting the rest of the team involved and interacting is could certainly help promote engaging discourse.

2. One of my first actions as the new CM was to ask the mods what they thought about the current system, and this was a pretty common thread. Will investigate, but my spidey sense tells me there's more than meets the eye to having separate US/UK boards.

3. A discount, or free shipping would be totally cool. First things first though, need to get the badge distribution system under better management.

4. What's broken about it? I'm all about paying respects to community veterans. Vets are the backbone of any community worth its salt.

5. Maybe a "Stupid Questions" sticky for each tech-heavy forum to concentrate the n00bsauce?

6. 7. 8. 9. 10. Working on it!

tecmo34

Administrator

Look at one of the vets (badge) points...

BadgesRanking.jpg

He has 9772 post but 12,065 points... 1.23 points per post - The system gives you a minimum of 4 pts per post, so if you don't take into account his best answers, he should have at least 39,088 points. I've been here going on 1 year and 1,701 post but 8,702 points (as of this post)... 5.12 points per post.

When the new system was put in place, it gave the "vets" 0.3 points per post to try and keep the system even but made most, if not all, very upset. Here is a little post where you can get an idea of their feelings... New Member Listing?

I was surptised by that comment too! I am awaiting my 39,088 points for time spent. Also, I am soon to become an Addict (then Pusher) instead of my soon to be rightful designation of Honorary Veteran of THGC.

1. 0 stranger
2. 25 newbie
3. 50 journeyman
4. 100 member
5. 200 enthusiast
6. 400 addict
7. 700 old hand
8. 1100 nimble knuckle
9. 1600 Honorary Poster
10. 2200 Faithful Poster
11. 2900 Ancient Poster
12. 3700 Eternal Poster
13. 4600 Forum Veteran
14. 5600 Forum Fixture
15. 6700 Forum Resident
16. 7900 Forum Master
17. 9200 Forum Gigolo
18. 10600 Honorary Veteran of THGC
]19. 12100 Honorary Fixture of THGC
20. 13700 Honorary Resident of THGC
21. 15400 Honorary Master of THGC
22. 17200 Honorary Gigolo of THGC
23. 19100 Honorary Guru of THGC
24. 30000 Master Historian of THGC
25. 45000 Master Gigolo of THGC
26. 62000 Master Guru of THGC
27. 80000 Master Wizard of THGC
28. 100000 Master Elder of THGC

jpishgar

Splendid
Overlord Emeritus
"Honorary Gigolo"? Really? Isn't like the same thing as a Prostitute Emeritus?

I'm thinking the points system isn't the only thing due for an update. :D

Do you guys think the current titles fit, or would you prefer a sweeping change?

tecmo34

Administrator
This is our current titles:
■less than 150 = Wannabe
■150-499 = Newbie
■500-1,499 = Scout
■1,500-4,999 = Regular
■5,000-14,999 = Addict
■15,000-49,999 = Veteran
■50,000-149,999 = Resident
■150,000 and more = Master

I think a few of the titles could be changed (Wannabe & Scout... mainly). I think the overall "point count" titles are better than the previous "post count" titles listed by badge. You might want to look to add maybe a few more between Addict to Veteran (badge likes Pusher... :D ), Veteran to Resident and Resident to Master... maybe every 5,000 points?

Enthusiast, Veteran, Fixture, Resident, Master, Guru, Wizard, Historian and Elder work for me.

Wannabe, Scout, Regular, Addict, Pusher, Veteran, Resident then to Master are lame. It's kind a like narrowly rising above Brittany Spears to go from a scout to a regular. Then moving ahead of Mariah Carey to become an addict.

+4

G

I feel your pain Badge. I have 2003 posts and only 3439 points.

Agreed to the above, and while Im not all convinced of the point system, it only screams as to how unimportant it is when they didnt give the highest, longest contributing their share of recognition, even within the systems minimums, which would be acceptable to most old timers here.

So, sending this "your previous contributions arent even worth the minimum system evaluation", along with the push to widen lessor informed content/questions, have left veterans here with no respect, nothing meaty as it pertains to higher learning/sharing, and a overall bitter taste in thier mouths

TheViper

Distinguished
I actually saw that thread after I posted and figured that's where you got them from.

I'll come up with my own user title system and see what you guys think about it.

randomizer

Champion

I may be able to help you with that as I know quite a few of the staff here already, particularly the news team.

+1 for changing the title system.

Anyways, I also want the site to remove the "Ask your question about IT issues" on the main homepage. That thing leads to a LOT of REPEAT questions posted by people with out checking the Forum.

I also want a thread/sticky on the "Forum" section page titled "Read Before Posting" giving users the top down on Forum etiquette and HOW to ask questions correctly (ie listing their full system specs, and link to HOW TO ASK for new build help,etc).

4262868104_14f2c163cc_b.jpg