Question New computer build doesn't start, no POST ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

PossesiveGamer

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2015
I think I figured it out. I was connecting the power supply fan cable to the sys fan header on the mobo probably looping power and causing it to trip and not turn on instead of a fan controller like its probably supposed to go in. I think this is the stupidest reason but hey we live and we learn and this was my first time. Sorry for wasting yalls time. Thanks for all the help though. I learned alot and have noted down about the bigger power supply. I don't plan on playing too heavily on it or keeping it for very long and sell it to a buddy. Im sorry for this. Im retarded.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
I think I figured it out. I was connecting the power supply fan cable to the sys fan header
It happens, you're not the first or only one who has mistakenly put a connector where it didn't belong, no need to call yourself that last word.

But either the psu is very very old and really really needs replacement or you have mistaken some random cable for a fan cable, maybe the one for floppy disc readers.

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
noted down about the bigger power supply
You missed the point by a country mile.

You don't need bigger. You need reliable. Terrible power supplies are like nightmare fuel.
You really should not sleep well until you replace an almost decade old, used, power supply with hardly any surge protection.

You already wasted twice as much money as you needed for a cheap gaming PC, now you're putting it at risk every time you turn on that poor thing.

It needs to be replaced right away. Don't play with fire.

Reactions: CountMike