Question New computer build doesn't start, no POST ?

PossesiveGamer

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2015
Hello Ive spent the last few months to get parts for my gaming computer and I finally got everything this week. Well I installed everything inside my case, and then pressed the power button and nothing. I did some research and people said to try it on your mobo box so I did that. I saw it spin and go to bios, so I tore it all back down put it back in my case and nothing. I've reseated the ram, gpu, and every single connector on the board and still nothing. I've spent 4hrs on this and Im tired of trying to figure it out. What y'all think?

Specs:
Ryzen 5 5500
Swft 6700xt
Rosewill 550W non-modular power supply
2tb Hitcahi 7200 rpm hdd
Montech X1 Mesh black case

I do have a video of it posting to bios just not sure how to add that here.
PcPartPicker list:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/xcKmMV

Last edited:

PossesiveGamer

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2015
You don't mention which is the motherboard or the RAM and you are waiting for an answer?
Yes I know. Apologies. Its past 2am, I worked 8 hrs, and spent like 4 hours trying to get this computer started. I thought I put more but having a tired brain sucks when it comes to this stuff. I have posted a PcPartPicker list though cause I was like crap that would make it easier for y'all. So yea my bad.

Reactions: 35below0
Jun 2, 2024
the 450 you have 99% needs bios to be upgraded with a 3000 series processor.Look it up before you do anything.also let me tell you that I don't like the power supply you chose or they gave you

Hello Ive spent the last few months to get parts for my gaming computer and I finally got everything this week. Well I installed everything inside my case, and then pressed the power button and nothing. I did some research and people said to try it on your mobo box so I did that. I saw it spin and go to bios, so I tore it all back down put it back in my case and nothing. Ive reseted the ram, gpu, and every single connector on the board and still nothing. I've spent 4hrs on this and Im tired of trying to figure it out. What y'all think?
Specs: Ryzen 5 5500
Swft 6700xt
2tb Hitcahi 7200 rpm hdd
Montech X1 Mesh black is the case as well

PcPartPicker list:

Your way under the PSU requirement to run that card and the motherboard needs a BIOS update.

If you can send board back and purchase a b550 motherboard as your limiting yourself.

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
What if you try without the hdd attached?

See you're tight on a budget, but would say to get an ssd in there if possible.
A HDD power problem could also be an explanation. Try connecting only the things that were hooked up when the motherboard did power up and complete POST/reach BIOS.

PossesiveGamer

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2015
So I have read all the replies and I was able to get it to post and go to bios screen 1 time and have been able to successfully start it up a couple times but its not consistent on/off cycles. I know the bios does not need an update to support this cpu as I made sure I had the second revision board with that already installed. I also was able to get to the BIOS screen with everything plugged in including my HDD. Ill try again without plugged in when I get off of work today. And I made multiple posts in places and asked countless people about my power supply and they all said 550w will be fine. Im only trying to do 720/1080 gaming anyways and not trying to overclock at all but Ik that isn't the issue here as I have gotten it to start up once before

PossesiveGamer

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2015
Your way under the PSU requirement to run that card and the motherboard needs a BIOS update.

If you can send board back and purchase a b550 motherboard as your limiting yourself.
I already mentioned the PSU in my last post. But ik this is underpowered for the GPU but Im not trying to push the card to the limits or anything so dozens of people said that the 550 should be fine. I was originally was gonna put a 430 in but was steered well asays from that. And Ik im limiting myself. I only have a 5500 which isnt very powerful either and Im not trying to push overclocks on it. Its just a browsing desktop/ light to med gaming sessions. If it becomes an issue I can always change it up later. And I cant "return" anything. Everything I bought was second hand. The Mobo and GPU were brand new tho everything else has been used

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
I already mentioned the PSU in my last post. But ik this is underpowered for the GPU but Im not trying to push the card to the limits or anything so dozens of people said that the 550 should be fine. I was originally was gonna put a 430 in but was steered well asays from that. And Ik im limiting myself. I only have a 5500 which isnt very powerful either and Im not trying to push overclocks on it. Its just a browsing desktop/ light to med gaming sessions. If it becomes an issue I can always change it up later. And I cant "return" anything. Everything I bought was second hand. The Mobo and GPU were brand new tho everything else has been used
I don't think it's the PSU. If it was, the PC would not turn on when the motherboard was outside the case. Unless the HDD was enough to push the PSU over the limit.

Something else is the problem. Maybe a bad connection, maybe a short.

I don't think it's likely but could you try it in a different case? Because it seems you've done your homework and not made any obvious mistakes.

With one exception. You are underestimating power demand and the capabilites of old, used power supplies. Some of the weaker, crappier models cannot deliver anywhere near their stated wattage. Even the best PSUs cannot deliver exactly what's on the sticker/box.

The CPU + GPU will draw almost 300w on their own, and the GPU can demand more in short bursts. Add in the rest of the system power demands and you can see why on paper 550w PSU would be enough.
Except that's theory. In reality PSUs deliver less and operate better farther away from their limit. A 750w PSU would have been a safer bet, preferably not a cheap one.

But that's useful speculation. The problem is a PC that will not start when assembled in a case, though it will turn on when breadboarded.

Reactions: Vic 40

PossesiveGamer

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2015
I don't think it's the PSU. If it was, the PC would not turn on when the motherboard was outside the case. Unless the HDD was enough to push the PSU over the limit.

Something else is the problem. Maybe a bad connection, maybe a short.

I don't think it's likely but could you try it in a different case? Because it seems you've done your homework and not made any obvious mistakes.

With one exception. You are underestimating power demand and the capabilites of old, used power supplies. Some of the weaker, crappier models cannot deliver anywhere near their stated wattage. Even the best PSUs cannot deliver exactly what's on the sticker/box.

The CPU + GPU will draw almost 300w on their own, and the GPU can demand more in short bursts. Add in the rest of the system power demands and you can see why on paper 550w PSU would be enough.
Except that's theory. In reality PSUs deliver less and operate better farther away from their limit. A 750w PSU would have been a safer bet, preferably not a cheap one.

But that's useful speculation. The problem is a PC that will not start when assembled in a case, though it will turn on when breadboarded.
Ok thats noted about the psu currently though thats what Im stuck with. My fiancee and I have argued about what I already have 😂 but Ill use that as a first upgrade. I did more research on board gpu and cpu then the psu. But yes thats the issue. I wont be able to do much until tonight when I get off work

PossesiveGamer

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2015
I also made this same post on Reddit and someone mentioned that the board might be shorting off the standoffs. Every standoff hole has Avoid Collision around it on the back.

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
I also made this same post on Reddit and someone mentioned that the board might be shorting off the standoffs. Every standoff hole has Avoid Collision around it on the back.
Ok, so let's turn our suspicions to the HDD then. Presumably that was the only thing left unconnected when you assembled the components outside the case?

Can you get that PC to complete POST inside the case in any way?
Or is it dead as a doornail no matter what, as long as it's inside the case?

Double check the PC case front panel connections. Sometimes those wires are not labelled very well.

If your components can POST and reach BIOS, you should be able to get on with Windows/OS setup and beyond.

PossesiveGamer

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2015
Ok, so let's turn our suspicions to the HDD then. Presumably that was the only thing left unconnected when you assembled the components outside the case?

Can you get that PC to complete POST inside the case in any way?
Or is it dead as a doornail no matter what, as long as it's inside the case?

Double check the PC case front panel connections. Sometimes those wires are not labelled very well.

If your components can POST and reach BIOS, you should be able to get on with Windows/OS setup and beyond.
So when I booted outside the case the HDD was actually connected so Ik thats not the issue. But as soon as it goes in the case its dead as a doornail. When I posted the first time everything was connected except the case fans. And now it wont even turn on outsode the case. Even with an external power button I bought for testing it wont boot.

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
So when I booted outside the case the HDD was actually connected so Ik thats not the issue. But as soon as it goes in the case its dead as a doornail. When I posted the first time everything was connected except the case fans. And now it wont even turn on outsode the case. Even with an external power button I bought for testing it wont boot.
That's really tough. Well, you'll have to try with a different power supply.

Or you can test whether this one is working properly. A paperclip will at least confirm if it's dead or possibly working.

Now, how old is that PSU? As far as i can tell, it was a good PSU in it's day but lacking in some features that offer protection against power surges. So it may be well worn.
I suspect it's warranty period of 5 years expired about 5 years ago. That makes it potentialy unwise to use today. It can damage components.

PossesiveGamer

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2015
That's really tough. Well, you'll have to try with a different power supply.

Or you can test whether this one is working properly. A paperclip will at least confirm if it's dead or possibly working.

Now, how old is that PSU? As far as i can tell, it was a good PSU in it's day but lacking in some features that offer protection against power surges. So it may be well worn.
I suspect it's warranty period of 5 years expired about 5 years ago. That makes it potentialy unwise to use today. It can damage components.
I have no clue how old the power supply is. Ik when I got it it was dusty. Stayed in a smoke free and pet free home just dust. So I was thinking about cleaning it out after the capacitors discharge obviously. But I do not know how old it is and it has successfully booted fully 1 time, Ive got the cpu fan to spin a couple more times tho before it beeps error codes, so Id imagine it is working but I will give that a try when I get home tonight and update you. I just wanna play my games 😞 and hoping I didnt spend ~1k, more or less, on a paperweight. Ig as long as my gpu doesnt break Ill be fine. That was 320 in itself. Everything else was under or close to 100 bucks.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
All that will do is confirm the power supply cuts on and the fan runs.
It has nothing to do with the stability or the voltage being correct.

It cost thousands of dollars to buy the equipment to properly test a PSU.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Hello Ive spent the last few months to get parts for my gaming computer and I finally got everything this week. Well I installed everything inside my case, and then pressed the power button and nothing. I did some research and people said to try it on your mobo box so I did that. I saw it spin and go to bios, so I tore it all back down put it back in my case and nothing. I've reseated the ram, gpu, and every single connector on the board and still nothing. I've spent 4hrs on this and Im tired of trying to figure it out. What y'all think?

Specs:
Ryzen 5 5500
Swft 6700xt
2tb Hitcahi 7200 rpm hdd
Montech X1 Mesh black case

PcPartPicker list:
If it started outside the case then failed when installed then you have something connected wrong or a short.
Could also be a intermediate problem with about any of the parts (not as likely) but from the build it looks like you bought used parts.

I would take it out of the case again and try to boot into BIOS (everything connected) like 5 or 6 times if it boots every time then something is shorting or connected wrong when your putting it in the case.

Last edited:

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
Since you're very likely in the market for a new PSU, here's one suggestion:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Km...ified-semi-modular-atx-power-supply-ssr-550fm
It's ok, and not too expensive. but there's a better SeaSonic for slightly more money:
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/2g...ly-modular-atx-power-supply-atx3-focus-gx-750
This is the ideal PSU for this type of PC. Enough power, dependable, modern, long warranty. Doesn't break the bank.

If you can find a GM12 model for a low price, you can buy that. I have one and i'm not too happy with it. I can hear it humming and find it annoying, but it's cheap and reliable enough. 5y warranty as well.
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/ZR...fied-semi-modular-atx-power-supply-g12-gm-550
It's not worth $110. It's price used to be closer to $60

This Corsair is a little bit noisy and not the greatest, but it's reliable enough. About as cheap as you can get without a risky, low grade PSU.
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/nN...onze-certified-atx-power-supply-cp-9020278-na

All that will do is confirm the power supply cuts on and the fan runs.
It has nothing to do with the stability or the voltage being correct.

It cost thousands of dollars to buy the equipment to properly test a PSU.
Well it can confirm the PSU is dead.

Testing with a multimeter doesn't cost thousands? I've never done that so maybe it's very limited, but it's something to try.
Judgning by the approximate age of that rebranded Super Flower, it's past it's point of safe and sane usage.
If it started outside the case then failed when installed then you have something connected wrong or a short.
Could also be a intermediate problem with about any of the parts (not as likely) but from the build it looks like you bought used parts.
Its' failing to start at all now. So the PSU is looking more and more like the problem.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Since you're very likely in the market for a new PSU, here's one suggestion:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Km...ified-semi-modular-atx-power-supply-ssr-550fm
It's ok, and not too expensive. but there's a better SeaSonic for slightly more money:
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/2g...ly-modular-atx-power-supply-atx3-focus-gx-750
This is the ideal PSU for this type of PC. Enough power, dependable, modern, long warranty. Doesn't break the bank.

If you can find a GM12 model for a low price, you can buy that. I have one and i'm not too happy with it. I can hear it humming and find it annoying, but it's cheap and reliable enough. 5y warranty as well.
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/ZR...fied-semi-modular-atx-power-supply-g12-gm-550
It's not worth $110. It's price used to be closer to $60

This Corsair is a little bit noisy and not the greatest, but it's reliable enough. About as cheap as you can get without a risky, low grade PSU.
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/nN...onze-certified-atx-power-supply-cp-9020278-na

Well it can confirm the PSU is dead.

Testing with a multimeter doesn't cost thousands? I've never done that so maybe it's very limited, but it's something to try.
Judgning by the approximate age of that rebranded Super Flower, it's past it's point of safe and sane usage.

Its' failing to start at all now. So the PSU is looking more and more like the problem.
From what he said unless I missed something it booted out of the case and failed inside the case.
Unless I missed something that is possible since I didn't read all of each post.

EDIT OK I see it now.
When I posted the first time everything was connected except the case fans. And now it wont even turn on outsode the case.

So now I would agree to the paperclip thing.

I can admit when I miss something without being stressed.

If I remember right that PSU was based off of a Seasonic PSU but is fairly old.

Last edited:

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
I can admit when I miss something without being stressed.
No worries.
I suspected the case or one of it's connectors initially. But seems it's not the case... oh dear. A pun.
If I remember right that PSU was based off of a Seasonic PSU but is fairly old.
Super Flower i think, and it's been around since the 2ng gen Intels. So even if this one is well preserved, it's quite old. Chemicals inside PSUs can "wear out" even when stored.

TRENDING THREADS