New Computer Build, Looking for Critique

Xyron

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2006
Hello Everyone,

I have build my last 4 computers and it is time to upgrade again. I have had great success with the feedback from this community, so I am looking for critique/suggestions to my build. Here it is:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/rPYZbv

I am looking to stay between $2500-$3000 (closer to $2500 is better).
Near term upgrades would include another video card to SLI, another monitor, and maybe more RAM. Looking for Ultra high performance for Gaming, Multitasking, and photo/video editing.

Thanks

Your link includes nothing.

In anticipation, I have two suggestions:
1. If you will ever upgrade ram, do it now.
Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards can be very sensitive to this.
That is why ram vendors will NOT support ram that is not bought in one kit.
2. In general, I do not like planning for dual cards.

Here is my canned rant on planning for dual cards:
-----------------------------Start of rant----------------------------------------------------
Dual graphics cards vs. a good single card.

a) How good do you really need to be?
A single GTX750t1 or R7-265 can give you decent performance at 1920 x 1200 in many games.
Yes, you may need to be satisfied with less than high settings.

A single GTX970 or R9-390X will give you excellent performance at 1920 x 1200 in most games.
Even 2560 x 1600 will be OK with lowered detail.
A single GTX980ti is about as good as it gets for a single card.

If you are looking at triple monitor gaming, or a 4k monitor, sli/cf will be needed for excellent frame rates.
A single GTX980ti or Furyx will give good frame rates in many games.
Next year, it looks like single card performance will go up by 50%

b) The support costs for a single card are lower.
You require a less expensive motherboard; no need for sli/cf or multiple pci-e slots.
Even a ITX motherboard will do.

Your psu costs are less.
A card as good as a R9-FURY or a GTX980ti will need only a 620w psu.
When you add another card to the mix, plan on adding 200w to your psu requirements.
75w for the slot, 75w for an extra 6 pin connector or possibly more.
Here is a chart:
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

Case cooling becomes more of an issue with dual cards.
That means a larger and possibly expensive case with more and stronger fans.
You will also look at more noise.

c) Dual gpu's do not always render their half of the display in sync, causing microstuttering or screen tearing. It is an annoying effect.
The benefit of higher benchmark fps can be offset, particularly with lower tier cards.
Read this: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-stutter-crossfire,2995.html

d) dual gpu support is dependent on the driver. Not all games can benefit from dual cards.

e) dual cards up front reduces your option to get another card for an upgrade. Not that I suggest you plan for that.
It will often be the case that replacing your current card with a newer gen card will offer a better upgrade path.
-------------------------------End of rant-----------------------------------------------------------

Link is good now.

My thoughts:

1. Skylake is here. Base your build on a i7-6700K.
The higher clock rate will be better for gaming. Probably equal in multithreaded apps. Regardless, it is easier to tolerate slightly longer editing runs than to be impacted by response delays while gaming.

2. Any Z170 motherboard will do. The extra pcie lanes will easily accommodate adding a second graphics card. Moreover, there is support for the faster ssd types of devices coming soon.

3. 16gb is fine, if you have plans to upgrade, buy your 32gb kit up front.
Matching is particularly important for 4 stick kits.

4. Love the NH-D14. It will come with very good paste, none additional is required.
It is a very large cooler. If you go Skylake, cooling requirements are minimal. A NH-U14S would be smaller and still do the job quietly.

5. 850PRO is very good. Skylake can support the faster M.2 NMVe devices. Samsung recently announced the 950 PRO m.2 device. Launch is Oct 10, I believe.

6. What types of games will you play?
If you play fast action shooters, then a fast tn panel device is best.
If you will play strategy games, sims, mmo and that type, you might want to use a larger IPS panel which will give you a better image and 178/178 viewing angle.
1440P will be 27", and that would be the minimum I would pick.
Whatever, buy the best monitor you can afford. It will be with you for a very long time.