[SOLVED] New computer build wont load windows 10

hughh

Honorable
Nov 26, 2013
I have just bought a new computer for my son but i cant get it to load an operating system
Computer cam assembled and theoretically ready to run but i'm not smart enough ?.......

Computer Spec:
CPU : AMD Ryzen 5-2600
Motherboard : A320 Motherboard
Graphic Card : Radeon RX580
Ram :Kingston 8GB DDR4 2666
SSD : Kingston A400 240GB SSD
HDD : Seagate 3.5" BarraCuda 1TB SATA III HDD
Case: Rotanium Magic 201 Blue LED Micro ATX Tower Case
Power Supply : Gamdias Kratos E1-500 500W RGB PSU
Wi-FiTP-LInk AC1200 WIFI card (Archer T4E)

The PC starts and asks for a boot media to be inserted, but once i insert the USB and 'press any key' nothing happens (photo 1)
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/640x480q90/924/rDAhj5.jpg
If i start the computer with the USB in it then all that happens is a solid (not flashing) cursor icon (?) appears inset about a quarter of the way in and down from the top and nothing happens (photo 2)
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/640x480q90/922/JGSrTF.jpg
I have checked the USB on two other computers and the windows installation process starts fine but this does not happen on my new computer.

I have accessed the bios (but have not changed anything) and that appears normal All components are present and working
I can only access the bios without the USB inserted

Please let me know what i should do next as I have no clue and probably have missed some basic steps?

SteveRX4

Notable
BANNED
Sep 29, 2020
What USB? Isn't Windows on the SSD?

Do you see it in bios? If you don't then it's not plugged in?

Is it listed as the first boot priority device?

Can you see it in Disk Management? Is it initialised? Have you given it the volume c:?

hughh

Honorable
Nov 26, 2013
USB is win10 install media freshly made with Microsoft Media Creation tool.
Works fine on two other computers

-If i start the computer without the USB then i can get into BIOS, boot priorities are SSD then HDD. no mention of USB
-If i am in the Bios and insert the USB then the mouse and keyboard freeze.
-If i start the computer with the USB in then i cant enter the bios (Straight to photo 2).

If it is a new SSD (and secondarily HDD) do i have to do something to them before i can use them?

Happy to post photos of bios if you tell me what you need to know....

Colif

Win 11 Master
Who makes motherboard? I can find A320 motherboards made by Gigabyte & MSI

if i can find that i can find the manual (maybe) and it might tell me what menus you need to change. I could maybe guess the boot method of the BIOS is maybe set to legacy and the USB might be UEFI, but most installers should have both.

You don't have to do anything ot ssd to install win 10 on them.

this looks like the motherboard, not a windows thing.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Just cause you can put USB in 1st item in boot order, it doesn't mean PC will boot off it.
If the BIOS is set up to boot as legacy and the USB is formatted as UEFI, it won't boot even if it works in other PC. That shouldn't be the case with a USB made by media creation tool though.
Also some bios just won't see USB drives at boot. My last Asus motherboard had to have USB set as full initialised in bios before it would boot off it.

Given I have never heard of the PSU before, that could be a problem in the future.

was PC made by MSY? What model? I only ask as they make the cases themselves and I can see that PSU on their website right next to case maker,

Last edited:

hughh

Honorable
Nov 26, 2013
@Colif
Gigabyte GA-A320M-H motherboard

@SteveRX4
read that but i cant get into bios with USB inserted to change Bios to USB 1st

@Colif
"Also some bios just won't see USB drives at boot. My last Asus motherboard had to have USB set as full initialised in bios before it would boot off it. "
I don't know what that means.....

I can redo the USB and format it to FAT32 ?
see if that helps?

hughh

Honorable
Nov 26, 2013
Like I said, bought fully assembled, Waiting for them to get back to me but it shouldn't be this hard....
Should the USB be formatted in a particular format?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Gigabyte have a menu choice in the save and exit screen of bios called boot override
Page 34 here - https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_ga-a320m-h_e_v1.pdf

put USB into pc at start up
go into bios
put ssd as 1st in boot order
go to save and exit screen
choose boot override
pick USB from the list
PC will restart and boot from USB this time only, the next boot it will use SSD as usual.

this is how it should work

shouldn't need to change format of USB itself.

hughh

Honorable
Nov 26, 2013
Well, I'm not sure if this is embarrassing or just <Mod Edit> weird....
The computer has 3 USBs on top and 6 on the back.
If i plug the USB drive into one of the USB slots then nothing works (keyboard and screen in other slots) freeze and wont boot, But shifted everything around and plugged USB into different slot, and keyboard into back USB and good .

One of the USB on top is blue and the other two are black and the blue one works with keyboard but not memory stck....

Anyways, thanks for the help

Last edited by a moderator: