Question New computer freezes

Jul 28, 2022
A month ago I bought a new computer but from the first few days I experienced some freezes. The truth is that the freezes are very small, about a fraction of a second and they are in all the games. Sometimes, however, they can last for 5 seconds (this has happened 2 times only). I have also checked the software and all its drivers, which are fully updated. Regarding the freezes during their duration, it do not increase any use of the processor or the card, but what I think is a problem is that the system cannot keep stable the fps and this results in a unique game, GTA5, where I have 150 FPS falling to 100 FPS and freezing one in relation to the other games falling because they do not cause as much as GTA5. Below I leave you the Specs of the computer.

Intel Core i7 12700k
RTX 3060 Gaming X 12GB (MSI)
Corsair Power Supply 850W ATX 24pin RM850x (2021) Active-PFC Retail
Kingston Furry Beast 16GB DDR5 ODECC CL40 6000 MHz (!!!one channel)
Asus Socket 1700 PRIME Z690-P Glan Audio Raid
Samsung 500GB 870 EVO MZ-77E500B Solid State Drice SATA III SSD
Cpu Cooler MSI MAG CoreLiquid C240
Toshiba P300 1TB HDD (x2)

Have you VERIFIED that you have NO thermal issues at the time these problems are happening?

Are you saying you have ONE DIMM, which is why you are "one channel" and if so, which DIMM slot is it installed in? Starting at the CPU and going towards the edge of the motherboard, 1, 2, 3, 4, with 4 being closest to the edge of the board?

WHICH drive are your games installed on? Are they on the SSD or are they on the HDD? And I don't mean the game loaders, but the actual game data/files/etc.?

Jul 28, 2022
Have you VERIFIED that you have NO thermal issues at the time these problems are happening?

Are you saying you have ONE DIMM, which is why you are "one channel" and if so, which DIMM slot is it installed in? Starting at the CPU and going towards the edge of the motherboard, 1, 2, 3, 4, with 4 being closest to the edge of the board?

WHICH drive are your games installed on? Are they on the SSD or are they on the HDD? And I don't mean the game loaders, but the actual game data/files/etc.?

During the freezes, I didn't notice any increase in temperature, the temperatures are stable at 40-50 degrees Celsius. According to the motherboard manual, the ram is correctly placed in position 2. The games are mostly installed on the hdd, but some on the ssd as well. What I notice is that in general I have a high usage of ram in most games about 70-95% finally in gta the freezes I forgot to mention that they happen every 5 seconds but they last very little and when I use v-sync these don't happen that often

I just noticed in your parts description that you listed Kingston FURRY beast rather than FURY beast. That's funny. Furry beast. LOL.

Anyhow, yes, that's the correct DIMM slot for a single module under the population guidelines for that board.

Did you do a clean install of Windows when you got this system or did it come with Windows already installed? Or did you reused your Windows installation from a different system?

Jul 28, 2022
I just noticed in your parts description that you listed Kingston FURRY beast rather than FURY beast. That's funny. Furry beast. LOL.

Anyhow, yes, that's the correct DIMM slot for a single module under the population guidelines for that board.

Did you do a clean install of Windows when you got this system or did it come with Windows already installed? Or did you reused your Windows installation from a different system?

At the beginning I had installed windows 10 from 0 and after a while I installed windows 11 again from 0 deleting all the old files.

The only thing I can think of is that this is some type of stutter and might be related to the lack of dual channel memory operation. It might be worthwhile to get an identical stick of memory to what's currently installed and see if that cures the issue.

Also, make sure you have the most recent stable motherboard BIOS version installed.

Reactions: JOHN SAV
Jul 28, 2022
The only thing I can think of is that this is some type of stutter and might be related to the lack of dual channel memory operation. It might be worthwhile to get an identical stick of memory to what's currently installed and see if that cures the issue.

Also, make sure you have the most recent stable motherboard BIOS version installed.

Can you recommend me a program to check when it freezes if something happens that I might not have noticed in the use of the cpu, gpu

TRENDING THREADS