Question New computer old sound system

brandonvi

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009
Hi I just got a new computer and it does not have a black,yellow,green plugs I need for my old 5.1 sound system It only has blue, green, and red so I was wondering if there is a products you can buy to make an older set of speakers like these plug into a Bluetooth system or a USB that can then be plugged in the computer

these old speakers to me atleast still sound good and they are free were the only bluetooth thing I found that I liked cost like $250 or so

At least I learned to look more carefully at what audio the computer has from now on last 2 computers had this built into the motherboard

Edit
also see I am going to need to edit my sig down below

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
At least I learned to look more carefully at what audio the computer has from now on last 2 computers had this built into the motherboard
It's not about the PC as a whole, but instead about the MoBo.

Cheaper end MoBos come with 3 analog audio outputs, while solid options have all 5 analog audio outputs and high-end MoBos have even S/PDIF port for audio output.

plug into a Bluetooth system or a USB
Why would you want to convert analog audio to digital? You'd loose quite a bit of sound quality due to this.

Better option would be PCI-E x1 based sound card. Dedicated sound cards are niche market for audiophiles but they are still around, even today.
E.g this thing,
amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Creative-Blaster-Audigy-Performance-Headphone/dp/B00EO6X4XG

brandonvi

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009
only 20 pci-e in 13th gen Intel

ya I could take from vid card or mvme but if I can find a cheap easy converter I don't have to downgrade those 2 also I can use my current sound system to play back other stuff over bluetooth if I can find something like that also audio quality does not matter if you can't tell the difference and I can't

I worked in a loud shop for many years cutting metal with a large saw I am lucky I can still hear at all

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
only 20 pci-e in 13th gen Intel
CPU PCI-E lanes, yes. But your MoBo chipset also provides PCI-E lanes, which your sound card can use.

For example, all SATA ports your MoBo has, is utilized by MoBo chipset PCI-E lanes. Moreover, almost always, the PCI-E x1 and x4 slots use MoBo chipset PCI-E lanes.
Speaking of it, what is your MoBo make and model?

brandonvi

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009
Z790-P Prime Asus wifi LGA 1700 atx motherboard

I think this is it
could be wrong those but 99.99% that is it

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador

You have Z790 chipset and according to Intel, chipset alone provides additional 28 PCI-E lanes,
specs: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/compare.html?productIds=229719,229720,229721

Take out holy bible of PCs and read page 1-7. This displays the PCI-E slot configuration on your MoBo.
Your GPU still has the full 16 lanes of PCI-E, even when you install your sound card into e.g PCI-E 4.0 x16_2 or x16_3 slot. Though, you could also install sound card into PCI-EX1 G3 x1 slot.
(Holy bible of PCs = MoBo manual.)

Same is also said by MoBo specs: https://www.asus.com/motherboards-components/motherboards/prime/prime-z790-p-wifi/techspec/
Expansion Slots
Intel® 13th & 12th Gen Processors*
1 x PCIe 5.0 x16 slot
Intel® Z790 Chipset
3 x PCIe 4.0 x16 slots (support x4 mode)
1 x PCIe 3.0 x1 slot
As you can see, the 1st PCI-E x16 slot, where your GPU is, has it's PCI-E lanes from CPU. While the rest of the PCI-E slots (both x16 and x1) PCI-E lanes are provided by MoBo chipset.

So, like i said, when you'd use dedicated sound card and put it into other PCI-E slots, the PCI-E lanes your CPU provides aren't utilized at all. Instead MoBo chipset PCI-E lanes are utilized.

I think this is it
could be wrong those but 99.99% that is it
That motherboard has a Realtek 7.1 audio codec and you can hook up your 5.1 system to it using only the rear jacks which the manual says on page 2-19, provided you don't need the microphone or line-in (to hook up a 7.1 you would also need the front-panel header). They even have a FAQ on it.

It's supposed to pop up the Realtek control panel when you plug something into the blue or pink jacks, asking what you just plugged in--just choose rear or center/sub

brandonvi

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009
That motherboard has a Realtek 7.1 audio codec and you can hook up your 5.1 system to it using only the rear jacks which the manual says on page 2-19, provided you don't need the microphone or line-in (to hook up a 7.1 you would also need the front-panel header). They even have a FAQ on it.

It's supposed to pop up the Realtek control panel when you plug something into the blue or pink jacks, asking what you just plugged in--just choose rear or center/sub
I think that worked thanks just had to figure out what to plug were black to blue yellow to red and green to green going to have to find a game to see if the back speakers work but at least the front ones do

never even thought to try that since I know one of those I plugged in to is a mike pug and another is an input instead of an output

jonfitch

Reputable
Jul 5, 2020
Just get a cheap DAC or a used receiver on craigslist with pre-outs and use the HDMI out on your GTX 1650S.