Nov 30, 2021
I bought a used motherboard which included a big cpu heatsink(without a fan). I am wondering if it would be best to just attach and try to tie a fan to it or get a new coolermaster 212. It's for a 4470k on an Asrock z97 board. I won't OC yet but I definitely plan on overclocking at least to 4.2 or around that. Would that be enough cooling? The heatsink that came with it is around the same size of a coolermaster 212 or bigger. I would try just to tie any good kind of fan to the heatsink.

Solution
Many coolers use a very similar fan mounting bracket or wire. The fan is going to be fitment by size. IIRC the 212 is a 120mm fan. You should be able to strap whatever size fan the face of the cooler (mount point) is. If you can see a name brand on the block you may be able to find the exact replacement fan.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Many coolers use a very similar fan mounting bracket or wire. The fan is going to be fitment by size. IIRC the 212 is a 120mm fan. You should be able to strap whatever size fan the face of the cooler (mount point) is. If you can see a name brand on the block you may be able to find the exact replacement fan.

Reactions: elminotauro
Solution

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I strapped Corsair 120mm SP fans to mine, worked quite well. The stock 212 fan can be a little noisy, and the LED one isn't great either. Most fans these days are hybrid airflow and static pressure fans, they should work well enough. (less gaps between the blades, more static pressure, better for pushing through radiators and heatsinks) More gaps, higher airflow, but not as much power to push through obstructions.

Reactions: elminotauro

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
A 212 with a random fan cable-tied to it won’t be enough cooling to reach 4.2Ghz on a 4470K.

Bear in mind that overclocking is not guaranteed. The 4th gen intels did OC pretty well, but it’s always random whether you have a good or bad overclocking CPU. You might only be able to actually get to 3.8.

if you have got a golden sample and it actually goes to 4.2, then you’d need a much bigger cooler, likely a 280mm AIO.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
A 212 with a random fan cable-tied to it won’t be enough cooling to reach 4.2Ghz on a 4470K.

Bear in mind that overclocking is not guaranteed. The 4th gen intels did OC pretty well, but it’s always random whether you have a good or bad overclocking CPU. You might only be able to actually get to 3.8.

if you have got a golden sample and it actually goes to 4.2, then you’d need a much bigger cooler, likely a 280mm AIO.

Average 4770k could reach 4.2Ghz easily. 'Golden' samples would hit 4.5Ghz on 1.25 volts. I had a terrible one, it would run 4.5Ghz but at 1.35 volts and darn close to 100C under load.

If you keep the voltage below 1.3 volts, it is a manageable CPU. Keep in mind that we are only talking 300Mhz over stock, not really a lot.