New CPU causing reboot loop

Apr 19, 2018
Guys, I had i5-7500 but then I upgraded to i7-7700k. After installing the new CPU, it keeps restarting with no display. I already tried clearing CMOS, re-installing RAM and other components. But every time it keeps restarting without any display. Since I already sold my previous i5, I can't update the BIOS.
I am using Gigabyte B250M DS3H mobo with Corsair 2x8GB RAM and i7-7700k processor. I remember having F7 BIOS on my mobo the last time it ran.

Solution
Did you look for bend pins on the CPU socket? Are all the pins OK. One bend or misaligned pin can cause an infinite boot loop. It's very easy to bend a pin if you try to install a CPU and remove it more than one time. Also try to unplug and then re-plug the EPS 12V cable on the motherboard. Maybe it doesn't make enough contact. Finally you may have sorted something on your motherboard by accident without even realising it. Since you are also using a new CPU cooler, did you follow all the installation instructions? Did you install a back-plate on your motherboard? It's very easy to sort a motherboard that way. Keep in mind that a simple thing such an overtightened screw can also cause this system behaviour.

EDIT. Do you have a PCIe...
Your motherboard doesn't need a BIOS update in order to support the i7. What PSU do you have? What CPU cooler are you using? Is this a new or used CPU? If it's used, are you sure that it's not damaged/dead? You can also remove the CPU and check the LGA socket for bend pins. If no bend pins are found try to re-seat the CPU in the socket and then try to boot again. Maybe the CPU wasn't seating correctly in the socket.

Apr 19, 2018

I am using Corsair V550 PSU and cooler is Noctua-NH-U9S (new). CPU is also new. Everything except CPU and Cooler are old and were working properly with old CPU.
I already tried several times removing the CPU and reinserting it.

Did you look for bend pins on the CPU socket? Are all the pins OK. One bend or misaligned pin can cause an infinite boot loop. It's very easy to bend a pin if you try to install a CPU and remove it more than one time. Also try to unplug and then re-plug the EPS 12V cable on the motherboard. Maybe it doesn't make enough contact. Finally you may have sorted something on your motherboard by accident without even realising it. Since you are also using a new CPU cooler, did you follow all the installation instructions? Did you install a back-plate on your motherboard? It's very easy to sort a motherboard that way. Keep in mind that a simple thing such an overtightened screw can also cause this system behaviour.

EDIT. Do you have a PCIe graphics card? Try to remove it as a test. If your system is able to boot in this configuration then the PSU is responsible since this specific model isn't considered to be very good. Good luck.

Solution
Apr 19, 2018

You were right, there were some bend pins on CPU socket and touching each other, causing it to short. I was able to straight them up and reinserting the CPU, started the system. For now, its working fine, I also tried some stress test on CPU, it never went above 70 C. My concern is that whether using the motherboard like this can damage CPU or anything else in long run.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador

No everything is fine.

Since it's working, it doesn't seem to be damaged. You were lucky though because bend pins can also fry the CPU or the motherboard. The reboot loop was probably caused by a motherboard protection mechanism which saved the CPU from frying.

Apr 19, 2018

Yeah, the CPU temps were not increasing when it was boot looping. Anyways, looks like I saved some money ;)