New CPU cooler compromises airflow?! (I5-4690k & H80iGT)

SkyMembrane

Honorable
Dec 23, 2015
Hello, I've already asked a couple of questions on these forums, because you guys are truly helpful and friendly. Until last Monday, my CPU had the stock Intel cooler, but I replaced it with a Corsair H80iGT liquid cooler. It had good reviews and most people seemed to like it. However, to install it, I had to remove 2x120mm fans from the case and 1x200mm fan on the side-panel. Additionally, the water cooler has 2 tubes going from the pump to the radiator. Right now, both fans are pushing air away from the radiator, 1 pushing it towards the outside, and 1 pushing it towards the inside.

Here's what I noticed, The CPU itself isn't cooling as much as I thought it would, but I don't know if that's due to the Overclock or not. I was thinking that maybe if the fan that is currently pushing the air from the radiator to the inside of the case (and the tubes are right in front of it) should pull the air from the case into the radiator and then out the back.

*Figure 1(Right now)* : Air <--- Fan1_Radiator_Fan2 ---> Air
*Figure 2* : Air ---> Fan1_Radiator_Fan2 ---> Air

The other thing that I noticed is that other components now seem to heat up more than they used to, mainly the GPU and the Motherboard. I'm thinking that the removal of the side-fan and the addition of ''big'' tubes over the CPU might be causing that. Neither are a concern, but I thought the information might help. I have yet to take pictures of the build in its current form, but I'll post what it used to look like.

Link : http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/b2d6Mp
P.S. The fans I had to remove are the one on the back and the one on the Top left (Picture 7 on the link)

Other information :
CPU: I5-4690k OC'd at 4099Mhz/4445Mhz Turbo
CPU-Cooler : Corsair H80iGT
Motherboard : Asus Z87-Plus (For now)
Current RAM: 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600Mhz & 2x4GB Patriot Viper3 1866Mhz
GPU : EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX2.0 @ 1479Mhz core/8002Mhz memory
PSU : EVGA Supernova NEX 750G1
Case : Apevia X-Dreamer4-Green

Thanks in advance!

I didn't read through your wall of text (sorry), but something immediately struck me. You have to set the cooler up so air is moving through it. so both fans can't push air away from the radiator. Even one fan moving air through the radiator will be more efficient.

In my builds I move air that is inside the case through the radiator to the outside. Other fans move air into the case.

Some builders prefer to move outside air over the radiator into the case. Then have other fans move air out of the case.

SkyMembrane

Honorable
Dec 23, 2015

Sorry for the text, properly describing situations is part of my job, so I might've gone too far.
Alright, so my suspicions were correct. I thought that the 2 fans would be fighting for the same air, but I wasn't sure and the instructions in the booklet were unclear on the subject.

Now, should I set it something like this? :
[Outside]
CaseFan1
|
|
\/
[Outside] *Air* |<--- Fan1_Radiator_Fan2 <---*Air* [Inside]

To add to what I said in my first message, right now the (CaseFan1) is pulling the air from the case and pushing it outside, so I would reverse it.

Thank you for the quick response!

TRENDING THREADS