[SOLVED] New CPU, high temps under full load help fast!

Nov 21, 2014
Hi, i just bought a brand new CPU and my computer is working fine, but before i started normal usage and playing games i wanted to stress test it. I downloaded Heavy load to stress test and CPU core temp to monitor the temps and after only about 30 seconds got up to 91C on my cores on the CPU. I stopped the stresstest worried about the high temps and checked my task manager. My base speed for the cpu is 3.8 ghz but for some reson it was running over it up to like 4.1-4.2 ghz. I have not overclocked it, my CPU and motherboard are both new and have not been tamperd with. So why is the CPU running over it's clock speed and why am i getting those crazy high temps?
My CPU is Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8 ghz.

Thanks for any help!

Solution
I do not know what Prime95 is, if it is a stresstesting program thats not it i am using one called "Heavy Load". The CPU cooler im using is be quiet! - Pure Rock 51.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler

Sorry, yes, Prime95 is a stress test, one that produces a lot of heat, which was why I was curious. Hmm. Are you an experienced builder? I'm wondering about the connection between your CPU and your Pure Rock. Was there any thermal paste pre-applied? Did you add more? Did you remove the plastic sheet covering the thermal paste if it had one? Is the Pure Rock mounted properly? There seems to be a problem there somewhere. And it is almost always something very simple.

DavidM012

Distinguished
List your pc specs:

Cpu :i5 7600k
Mobo :
Ram :
Cooler :
Gpu :
Psu : Make & Model
Chassis:
Any/all Fans attached to system?:
Drives:
Peripherals:

Sounds like you have a simply terrible or poorly attached cooler on it what's it? According to the review a simple cooler shouldn't have a problem dealing with the waste heat.

Nov 21, 2014
Nov 21, 2014
List your pc specs:

Cpu :i5 7600k
Mobo :
Ram :
Cooler :
Gpu :
Psu : Make & Model
Chassis:
Any/all Fans attached to system?:
Drives:
Peripherals:

Sounds like you have a simply terrible or poorly attached cooler on it what's it? According to the review a simple cooler shouldn't have a problem dealing with the waste heat.
CPU: Intel - Core i5-7600K 3.8 GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Pure Rock 51.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI - B250M MORTAR Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Patriot - Signature Line 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-2666 Memory
Storage 1: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage 2: Samsung - 960 EVO 250 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1080 8 GB TURBO Video Card
Case: Phanteks - ECLIPSE P400S TEMPERED GLASS ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Fractal Design - Integra M 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply

I do not know what Prime95 is, if it is a stresstesting program thats not it i am using one called "Heavy Load". The CPU cooler im using is be quiet! - Pure Rock 51.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler

Sorry, yes, Prime95 is a stress test, one that produces a lot of heat, which was why I was curious. Hmm. Are you an experienced builder? I'm wondering about the connection between your CPU and your Pure Rock. Was there any thermal paste pre-applied? Did you add more? Did you remove the plastic sheet covering the thermal paste if it had one? Is the Pure Rock mounted properly? There seems to be a problem there somewhere. And it is almost always something very simple.

Solution
Nov 21, 2014
Yea probably is, i have lost 4 small rubber spacers or whatever they are called for the screws on the back mount of the cooler, and is seemed to be kind of loose even when i tighten the screws all the way on the CPU cooler. Maby thats it.

Nov 21, 2014
No profanity
Okay yea i tried laying my whole case on the side so gravity healps the cooler stay on. Now it's stable 50C during the stresstest lol. Btw acidentally ran my system for like 5-10 minutes under low load without the fan just the heatsink when installing the CPU. Might that have ----- my CPU up some? Also thanks for the help ill give you best answer but would love just some more answers on this <3.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea probably is, i have lost 4 small rubber spacers or whatever they are called for the screws on the back mount of the cooler, and is seemed to be kind of loose even when i tighten the screws all the way on the CPU cooler. Maby thats it.

Yeah, must not be enough pressure pushing the heatsink on the CPU. Stress tests do produce more heat than you'd see in real world, and that is a budget cooler as Dark Lord is saying. I'm trying to think of something you could use to replace the lost spacers, but I'm drawing a blank. I'd monitor temps while gaming and see how it does.

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
this may be a not so traditional solution but I am sure you could easily buy small plastic washers that you could then use as the spacer on the CPU cooler. the thickness may be an issue however, but it may work

DavidM012

Distinguished
Idle temps shouldn't be more than 10c above ambient and 2% load. Aside from the weak cooler sounds like you got some bloatware running in the background so your cpu doesn't idle properly.

Trouble with trying to replace any spacers with another material is it might be too squishy or even too tough, wrong size or grade that's a right pickle, find the spacers they must be around somewhere, even in the hoover maybe and turn off the boost settings in the bios 'til you've sorted it.

bmacsys

Honorable
BANNED

There is no "maybe" about it. "gravity" isn't going to cut it either. The cooler and mount are designed for a certain amount of pressure to be applied against the heatspreader. You can't just install anything without critical hardware.

Nov 21, 2014
There is no "maybe" about it. "gravity" isn't going to cut it either. The cooler and mount are designed for a certain amount of pressure to be applied against the heatspreader. You can't just install anything without critical hardware.
Just curious why you would say this. I have stresstested it now with 100% load over 30 minutes with stable 55C temps using gravity having it laying down.
So what about the coolers "designed amount of pressure"? Like what am i missing here to me everything seems to be working as intended atm.

bmacsys

Honorable
BANNED
Just curious why you would say this. I have stresstested it now with 100% load over 30 minutes with stable 55C temps using gravity having it laying down.
So what about the coolers "designed amount of pressure"? Like what am i missing here to me everything seems to be working as intended atm.

If you think this is an OK way to run a pc don't come near anything I own lol!