Question New CPU is not detected but somehow it works ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

LuKaWin10

Great
May 6, 2024
Hi, I have such a weird problem.

Today my Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 CPU arrived, and i upgraded it on my motherboard (I had an E6750). I put the cooler in (it did a small mini bend for my mobo but i think its okay). I boot up my pc, go in Windows, and I see in the Computer tab, processor: Intel Core 2 Quad CPU E;932 @2.00 GHz 2.00 GHz. I seated the CPU in properly I am 100% sure,

I followed Intel's and Linus Tech Tips's Tutorial for it, but still nothing. I removed CMOS battery, cleared CMOS. But then it said, Post error failed checksum smth like that, then some gray screen with configs (Default and Last Known Good) I clicked on Last Known Good, and weird stuff happened, the CPU numbers changed to E;318 in Windows. Any help, please? I will send you my SPECS! I even tried Q-FlasH

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450
GPU: GT 730 Asus
Mobo: P35-DS3 rev 2.1 with F14 BIOS
RAM: Kingston 2x1 GB 333 MHz and PQ1 CORP 2X1 GB 400 MHz (4 GB TOTAL!)
PSU: Not sure, says, Model: 350X, I am sure its 350 W!
I have 2 SSDS and 1 HDD

Please help! Ty!

Edit #1: I got the CPU and Cooler from AliExpress (the CPU from SZ-CPU STORE and the AIGO ICE200PRO cooler from ofc AIGO store)

LuKaWin10

Great
May 6, 2024
Just found this amazing item on AliExpress. Check it out!
€10.75 | Xeon E5450 Processor 3.0GHz works on lga 775 motherboard
https://a.aliexpress.com/_Eur14VB
I have just talked to my parents about buying. They talked to a friend of ours that fixes phones and more and he said that 100% isopropyl alcohol can burn my mobo and start a fire. I tried talking out with them about getting 98 or 99 maybe less but unfortunately due to them not knowing it cannot ruin it and my pc being fully off, I cannot do anything. Contact spray without oil could not find anywhere nor isopropyl. My issue could be dusty socket and cpu.

LuKaWin10

Great
May 6, 2024
That listing does not specify how they performed the conversion. I strongly dislike the stickered ones like these as those can get dislodged. The better ones will say welded on there somewhere.

I will say the Xeons require a BIOS with the microcodes for Xeon added in, and if there's not enough room for both the Pentium 4 microcodes will be removed to clear space. In any case the microcodes for Core 2 will remain.

P35-DS3 rev 2.1 is not on the list of compatible motherboards, and the usual places that have modded BIOSes only list one for "rev 2 and 1.0" however if you go download the BIOSes from Gigabyte for those, they are identical to the one for your 2.1 board.
Hey, so, is there even a microcode for my board or I need to find it by myself. Could you maybe send me the BIOS microcode that supports Xeons that is for my motherboard?

LuKaWin10

Great
May 6, 2024
That listing does not specify how they performed the conversion. I strongly dislike the stickered ones like these as those can get dislodged. The better ones will say welded on there somewhere.

I will say the Xeons require a BIOS with the microcodes for Xeon added in, and if there's not enough room for both the Pentium 4 microcodes will be removed to clear space. In any case the microcodes for Core 2 will remain.

P35-DS3 rev 2.1 is not on the list of compatible motherboards, and the usual places that have modded BIOSes only list one for "rev 2 and 1.0" however if you go download the BIOSes from Gigabyte for those, they are identical to the one for your 2.1 board.
I Think I found it.
https://www.elektroda.com/rtvforum/download.php?id=728548

Could it be this? It does say rev 2.x (I think the x refers to 1 and 0 as in rev 2.1 and 2.0)? Could this be it?